CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Driver Mode switch (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4027908-driver-mode-switch.html)

why1504 08-11-2017 11:59 PM

Driver Mode switch

Could someone point me to a resource that will explain all of the options using the Driver Mode switch on the center console. I get the Wet/Tour/Sport/Track changes. But I think there are sub menus below this. Is this true?

Also what about turning the nanny's off? Can I do this?

Thanks!!

vbdenny 08-12-2017 12:08 AM

Rotate that knob to TRack and click your heels twice (or push the button twice) and you may not be in Kansas but you'll be in the hidden sub-menu. Two nannies on car. Traction control and stability control. Don't shut them all off unless you have a lot of insurance, or are a professional race car driver, or filthy rich. Corvettes are light and that is a lot of power to just turn loose as that is how we get to see pictures of wrecked Corvettes which breaks our hearts.

Foosh 08-12-2017 12:09 AM

If you have a Z51 or above w/ MSRC, pressing the center console button quickly twice puts you into the Track PTM (performance traction management) menu, which gives you this. Once you're in this menu, rotating the dial left or right moves you between PTM Wet and PTM Race. Pressing the button once again, puts you back into the standard menu, Weather to Track

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a1b1d4f1e4.png

why1504 08-12-2017 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1595344128)
If you have a Z51 or above w/ MSRC, pressing the center console button quickly twice puts you into the Track PTM (performance traction management) menu, which gives you this.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a1b1d4f1e4.png

Can you tell me what PTM mode means. Also, once in this sub menu, what can I change and how will it effect the car?

These comments are very helpful. Thank you.

why1504 08-12-2017 12:16 AM

FWIW, I drive in Track mode 90% of the time.

Foosh 08-12-2017 12:19 AM

PTM is GM's acronym for performance traction management. It was really designed for various conditions and skill levels on a race track, but PTM/Wet and PTM/Dry are very good street settings. PTM Race is essentially all "nannies" off, and is not recommended unless you are on a race track, and have a lot of experience.

Even world class race cars these days use traction and stability control. The C7R in the GTLM class has it.

why1504 08-12-2017 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1595344159)
PTM is GM's acronym for performance traction management. It was really designed for various conditions and skill levels on a race track, but PTM/Wet and PTM/Dry are very good street settings. PTM Race is essentially all "nannies" off, and is not recommended unless you are on a race track, and have a lot of experience.

Even world class race cars these days use traction and stability control. The C7R in the GTLM class has it.

Thanks again. I will play with this tomorrow.

Foosh 08-12-2017 12:30 AM

The chart tells you what systems changes occur when selecting PTM Wet, Dry, Sport1, Sport2, or Race. As I said, once in the PTM menu, the same console dial rotates between the PTM modes, just as it does the standard modes.

TNSQUIRE 08-12-2017 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by why1504
FWIW, I drive in Track mode 90% of the time.

If you have msrc be careful using Track mode on the streets. It is not recommended and may cause damage to your car.

Foosh 08-12-2017 12:35 AM

Again, you're talking about standard Track mode. Track PTM is different. Look at the Track PTM mode chart above and pay particular attention to the MSRC settings.

themonk 08-12-2017 12:49 AM

MRC + Z51 = One Hell of a Combination.

why1504 08-12-2017 12:56 AM

After many manual transmission cars I have been shocked at how much I enjoy shifting with the paddles in standard Track mode.

I can well see the differences as one moves into these lower menus.

why1504 08-12-2017 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE (Post 1595344200)
If you have msrc be careful using Track mode on the streets. It is not recommended and may cause damage to your car.

What kind of damage???

Foosh 08-12-2017 10:01 AM

In standard Track mode, MSRC is in the stiffest setting, which is indeed very stiff. Like all cars running very low profile tires, wheel damage is real possibility on road surfaces in poor condition, and a pothole can be a death sentence for low profile tire/wheel combos. That's even more likely w/ MSRC in full firm mode (Track), but it can also happen any any mode.

In Track PTM, the MSRC setting varies per the chart published above. Thus, in Track PTM/Wet, you're no more likely to have damage than when you're driving in Tour mode because the MSRC is in Tour mode. In Track PTM/Dry MSRC is in Sport mode.

thrilled 08-12-2017 01:05 PM

I never turned mine off when it was stock.Now with 700 hp I wouldn't turn it off on A bet.
It can get away from you faster than your reflexes have A chance to compensate.

SouthOCBoy 08-12-2017 01:22 PM

"pressing the center console button quickly twice puts you into the Track PTM (performance traction management) menu"

Do you have to be in Track mode before you press the button twice to access the PTM sub-menus?

Woodson 08-12-2017 01:30 PM

Yes

Bill Dearborn 08-12-2017 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by why1504 (Post 1595344171)
Thanks again. I will play with this tomorrow.

I tell people to put the car in Track Wet Mode while driving on dry roads. Then go around some corners like you normally would do if you just hopped into the car to run to the store or something. Wet mode will sensitize PTM to the max and reduce the change rate of throttle application. If you have your windows open you can hear it modulating the engine (I describe the exhaust as sounding like a diesel engine being used to slow a truck using a Jake Brake). As you move up toward RACE Mode PTM gets less restrictive but is still active in RACE Mode. The Owner's Manual will tell you as you are coming off a corner to go to wide open throttle sooner than you normally would and PTM will modulate rear wheel power to the available grip. Even with slicks I haven't been able to do that all the way as it is counter intuitive to the way you drive any other car. However, I am being more aggressive with the throttle and I can hear and feel PTM working on quite a few track corners. At VIR Turn 1 it starts working about 1/2 way around the turn as I open up the throttle. The few times I have tried to go all the way to the floor the back end would start to slide left and I would have to breathe off the throttle to keep the car pointed where I wanted it to go. Haven't had the balls to just go wide open and see if it only stepped out a little and settled down. Not some place where I want to spin off the track at 60 mph. The least of the worries is to have the Black Flag Marshall yelling at you about why you thought that was a good idea when you go see him after a 4 off or spin.

Bill

Foosh 08-12-2017 03:22 PM

Bill's explanation above is a good one.

The whole idea of PTM (using TC, DSC, and the eLSD) is to match the car and conditions to the available grip. A lot of people seem to think that's going to make them go slower, but I'll wager a sizable sum it's the opposite. If you're sliding, you're not going as fast as you could be.

why1504 08-12-2017 05:40 PM

Wow. This has been very informative. I went out earlier today with the wife. I really haven't played with it much but I did switch thru the modes. In the morning I hope to take a ride alone and try the first couple of modes.