CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   New car bad nightmare (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4029141-new-car-bad-nightmare.html)

Silver&Blue 08-14-2017 08:10 PM

New car bad nightmare

So on Saturday I took delivery of my first vette a brand new 2017 Grand sport with heritage package that I had just purchased from Ray Dennison Chevrolet in Pekin Illinois. I was excited and I started looking the car over and I noticed a wavy spot on the front bumper near the emblem. There was a few small spots or nibs in the paint that looked like trash so after further examining I could tell the front bumper has been repainted. There was clear coat on the edges of the front fender and emblem was painted around and not removed which was showing signs of the poor paint work and the bumper being painted on the car.
I started taking a lot of pictures of this poor paint work so I could send it to the dealer. I contacted the dealer manager to let them know I did not want a car that had been repaired or painted and they said they did not have records of it being painted.

I am not wanting to take this vehicle since it was not disclosed of the issues in which if I knew i would have not purchased it.
At this time I am waiting to hear from the GM at the dealer to see if he is going to make good on this and resolve.
They had told me the car was in a show or event because I had asked why it had 48 miles on it.

Has anyone had this type of issue before from buying a Brand New vehicle with not being told there has been painted or repair work done?

Looking forward I hope I can come back and give the dealer a great review and so on as I am trying to give them a chance to rectify.

23/C8Z 08-14-2017 08:18 PM

sounds like some employee probably had an incident with it and it was touched up by one of those parking lot bumper repair guys. sorry to hear that. please let us know how it goes.

Zymurgy 08-14-2017 08:18 PM

If you don't "want a car that had been repaired or painted", just how can this dealer rectify this to your satisfaction?

Silver&Blue 08-14-2017 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1595362507)
If you don't "want a car that had been repaired or painted", just how can this dealer rectify this to your satisfaction?

The dealer to locate me another car or give my money back and they have the car back.

23/C8Z 08-14-2017 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1595362507)

i get what he's saying. i wouldn't go for it either if it was some BS parking lot spray touch up.. this happened to me when i made the one time in my life be smart and buy a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 sedan.. it's like buying an S class for half the price.. yeah it was and it was half the car lol.. i didn't keep the car because by the time everything was sorted out, the black car ended up having half of it resprayed to be perfect and i was disgusted.. car was gone in less than 6 months.

he needs a new car.. :willy:

\Boost Monkey/ 08-14-2017 08:35 PM

Did you order the car or bought it off dealer lot?

Kevin A Jones 08-14-2017 08:38 PM

Yes, I purchased a new Dodge Durango probably 10 years ago and upon first time washing it found evidence of re-paint on an inside on door jam. I took it back to the dealership where their body shop determine the entire passenger side had almost double the paint thickness of the rest of the vehicle verifying the side had been repaired/repainted.

Upon contacting Dodge, they offered me a new Durango. There wasn't anything on the lot that interested me and it was too late in the year to order same model so they let me order the next model year equipped anyway I wanted it while driving my existing Durango for about 120 days until new one came in. The new one was fully loaded and about $12,000 more, however they swapped me even.

You may want to start your negotiating with the dealer ordering a 2018 ZO6 fully loaded at no additional cost as car manufacturers are not supposed to sell a car as new that has been damaged.

Silver&Blue 08-14-2017 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/ (Post 1595362660)
Did you order the car or bought it off dealer lot?

well there is none in my area that were admiral blue m7 so I looked on auto trader and cars.com and found this one. it was between 4-6k less then the forum dealers on here. Called them but none wanted to lower the price at all.

\Boost Monkey/ 08-14-2017 08:43 PM

4-6k less than the forum dealers??

This didn't raise a red flag to you, knowing the forum dealers are usually the cheapest in the nation?

FX VETTE 08-14-2017 08:45 PM

:lurk:

Silver&Blue 08-14-2017 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones (Post 1595362691)
Yes, I purchased a new Dodge Durango probably 10 years ago and upon first time washing it found evidence of re-paint on an inside on door jam. I took it back to the dealership where their body shop determine the entire passenger side had almost double the paint thickness of the rest of the vehicle verifying the side had been repaired/repainted.

Upon contacting Dodge, they offered me a new Durango. There wasn't anything on the lot that interested me and it was too late in the year to order same model so they let me order the next model year equipped anyway I wanted it while driving my existing Durango for about 120 days until new one came in. The new one was fully loaded and about $12,000 more, however they swapped me even.

So Dodge helped you out over the dealership you got it from? thats good they gave you a new one.

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/ (Post 1595362741)
4-6k less than the forum dealers??

This didn't raise a red flag to you, knowing the forum dealers are usually the cheapest in the nation?

The forum dealers were the cheapest in june when i wasn't ready to buy. No since the car was in an auto show I figured it would be one of the cleanest cars because GM won't have a car in a show like that looking like crap. Also this car was on the show room floor and never test driven why I went with this one but little did I know the bumper has been painted on.

\Boost Monkey/ 08-14-2017 08:54 PM

But how do you know any of what you said about your car's history is true?

The dealer told you it was in a show, and had never been driven?

Silver&Blue 08-14-2017 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/ (Post 1595362830)
But how do you know any of what you said about your car's history is true?

The dealer told you it was in a show, and had never been driven?

trusting the word just like buying it only seen from pictures trusting it was a brand new car with no issues but has the bumper issue. I called and asked about the car they mentioned the car show so I asked how they got it from the show. they said since they are one of the top selling dealers in the area they got to pick what cars they wanted from the show. I asked since it had 48 miles on it has it ever been test driven. They said no just driven from the show back to the dealer and then on the show room floor.

Kevin A Jones 08-14-2017 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver&Blue (Post 1595362770)
So Dodge helped you out over the dealership you got it from? thats good they gave you a new one.

Yep, I believe the dealership was as surprised by the incident as I was. Once their body shop confirmed the entire side of the truck had been repaired and a Dodge Rep examined it; it was OK Mr Jones, what can we do to make this right?

They never officially confirmed exactly what happened to the Durango, however I saw the salesman months after receiving the new vehicle and he said it had been stolen off a holding lot at the manufacturer and wrecked and Dodge repaired it and somehow it got sent to the dealership as new by accident, so he said.

Maxie2U 08-14-2017 10:26 PM

I would IMMEDIATELY research if your state has a 72 hour law that allows an owner to back out of a new car purchase. Many states passed these types of laws years ago.

I would also immediately deliver (like tomorrow) a notarized letter that states the car was misrepresented and that you demand a full refund or another car. You should have a process server to deliver it to the dealership. The reason you want to do this is if things get ugly you don't want them claiming you never said anything about wanting a refund or another car.

I would also call GM customer service center. You want to get the name of the GM rep in your area to come to the dealership to look at the car.

Sounds like a stealership of the worst kind.

Silver&Blue 08-14-2017 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones (Post 1595362926)
Yep, I believe the dealership was as surprised by the incident as I was. Once their body shop confirmed the entire side of the truck had been repaired and a Dodge Rep examined it; it was OK Mr Jones, what can we do to make this right?

They never officially confirmed exactly what happened to the Durango, however I saw the salesman months after receiving the new vehicle and he said it had been stolen off a holding lot at the manufacturer and wrecked and Dodge repaired it and somehow it got sent to the dealership as new by accident, so he said.

That was a smooth process . Hopefully this is how things go for me!

1SG_Ret 08-15-2017 09:24 AM

Dunno, Would a dealer paid for, "professional respray" of the front bumper would make the car perfect?

Did you get a great deal on the car? Are you otherwise happy with the car?

If the above answers are yes..then get it fixed and enjoy the car.

If not, then prepare for a protracted negotiation trying to get a refund. GM Arbitration is less than helpful to the consumer in matter where they do not see a profit.

fourmat 08-15-2017 09:38 AM

If the car was repainted at the dealer I doubt GM will be involved It will be between you and the dealer. The Durango mentioned was repaired by the manuf. not by the dealer that is why they were involved. If you can find out GM repaired the car and shipped it to the dealer that way then you can get them involved.

JoesC5 08-15-2017 09:51 AM

I believe that a Corvette that is damaged in transport is repaired/repainted by the receiving dealer and the cost is absorbed by the Jack Cooper, and is still considered a "new" car by GM.

When the Chrysler 300C hemi first came out, I stopped by my local Chrysler dealer to look one over as I was interested in one as my daily driver.

They had one that was delivered a few days before but it was special ordered/presold. It wasn't on the showroom floor but parked in back near the body shop.

It had a crease across the top about an inch deep. The salesman said the truck transport driver had lowered a top rack down on the car which was in the lower part of the trailer.

They were goin to repair it at the dealer's body shop and he said the new owner was going to accept the car.

The 300C hemi was a "hot" car and finding one that was not sold was near impossible. The new owner was willing to accept the repaired car vs getting back in line and waiting for a replacement car to be built.

sabastian458 08-15-2017 09:59 AM

Many states have a % of value dollar amount that can be spent on a vehicle for paint/body repair that doesn't have to be desclosed. In South Carolina that's 4% of MSRP before the shipping cost.

Chances are that you will have a couple options presented to you. 1) they tell you to pound sand, you bought a discounted vehicle. Desclosed or not. 2) they offer to have the work redone to an acceptable condition. What you describe isn't acceptable. 3) they unwind the deal, and send you on your way.

If you are happy with the price paid and the over all remainder of the vehicle, have them fix it correctly. Once done right, you shouldn't be able to tell it was ever painted, and it won't be on any vehicle reports for when you resell the car. (Unless the dealer pays to be able to report service repairs to car fax)