CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4029144-autocrossing-my-c5z-on-the-new-aldan-american-coilovers.html)

Tomswheels 08-14-2017 08:20 PM

Autocrossing my C5Z on the new Aldan American Coilovers

4 Attachment(s)
I had started out Autocrossing my stock C5Z on Koni Yellows with a Strano front bar in AS, then started to do other non-SCCA events. Since most of those events mirrored CAM rules, I tubbed the car to fit 335s on back on 18x12s. This caused interference with the rear leaf and necessitated a change to Coilovers. I decided to give the Aldan Americans a try, first because of price point ($1195 a set), second because they are made in America, and rebuildable here by Aldan if needed.

Installation was super easy, not much more than installing shocks. I had always thought that outright performance over the leaf spring / shock combo would not be that different because of how well it handled. I could not have been more pleasantly surprised the first time I Autocrossed the Aldan Coilovers. The biggest difference I could feel immediately on the drive to and on track, the car no longer feels unsettled over bumps. Unfortunately here in So-Cal, almost every track we race at is in some sort of disrepair, and there are numerous "imperfections". The car felt like a different animal both in turns and under braking.

First event out was the "V8 Builds Autocross" where I won vs a lot of highly modified late model Mustang and Camaro's, and a few Vettes. Missed top time of the day by 1/10th to a well known (Optima series) 2400lb Starion with an LS3. Not bad for a mostly stock 3100lb C5!

cb2004mj 08-14-2017 09:34 PM

How's the comfort in comparison to your setup before. As far as stiffness, daily driver worth on those awesome Cali roads, smoother over bumps, etc etc...your the first review I've seen on this brand in our chassis so I'm def curious. Thanks, matt

Tomswheels 08-14-2017 09:52 PM

Much better in comfort. Potholes simply don't upset the car, at all. No sideways movement when you hit a bump or pothole in a turn. I left the Aldans on the factory settings, and the car rides so much better I'm going to put them on my daily driver C5 Convertible as soon as I have time. After driving on these, I honestly don't know why GM didn't put the C5/C6 on Coilovers to begin with.

Tomswheels 08-14-2017 10:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My 2nd event with the Aldan American Coilovers I turned the front compression and rear rebound up two clicks. I noticed on the 90 mile ride to this Hotchkis NMCA Autocross the ride was definitely firmer, but still much more comfortable than the previous Koni Yellow / Leaf Spring combo. The Car seemed even more settled and felt more controlled under hard braking with the Aldans on this slightly firmer setting. Some Optima level competition in the 70 Cars ran that Saturday included Greg Thurmond's Vette, Jake Rozelle in his C5, and this time the 3100lb C5Z beat that same LS3 2400lb Starion on its last lap, I won Fastest Time of Day for the first time ever.

01badvette 08-15-2017 09:07 AM

What spring rates did you go with from Aldan American I am interested in a set.

ArtClassShank 08-15-2017 10:29 AM

Good overview, you did extremely well. I've always thought coilovers were a bit strange on a Corvette, especially since they still haven't ditched the transverse leaf springs. I liken it to a second swaybar that has some ride dampening qualities, at the expense of suspension independence side to side. I 100% notice the unsettling on turns with bumps. Expansion joints on highway sweepers are a scenario I come across frequently.

I'm sure coils are in my future.

Acid666 08-15-2017 10:57 AM

Holy Sh*t, $1195? I've never heard of these but need to check them out. I installed Koni Yellows last week and have a Strano front bar literally coming in today and getting installed today for a race this weekend.
I'm kind of the same position as you other than the 335s. I'm running in CAM and usually taking the win (as they usually group all CAM-S/N/T together), and I'm looking to push myself further ahead of the pack.. Hence why I talked to Stranos and decided on the Konis and his front bar.
I'm possibly interested in coilovers for next season if I find that more is left to be desired with my times. Swapping the shocks really wasn't that big of a deal so I could almost go from Koni to Coilover in an afternoon and test the differences at different events. And especially at that price.
Maybe these are something I'll look into next year when I finally get my 315 square setup. Glad I ran across this post.

Tomswheels 08-15-2017 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 01badvette (Post 1595365148)
What spring rates did you go with from Aldan American I am interested in a set.

I stayed with the 550lb rear they recommend, but in front went to a 600lb. We also used a shorter (9 inch instead of 10) front spring to keep the front as low as possible since this car is not a daily driver (but does drive to the track). To be honest with the compression adjustment in front doing such a nice job under braking, I'm not sure I really needed the stiffer front.

work_truck 08-15-2017 11:57 AM

I was really close to purchasing these, but there wasn't much info about them (on a c5). Glad to hear they're working out that well!

mountainbiker2 08-15-2017 06:43 PM

Hi Tom.

Any clearance issue with the rear tie rod? Are they really 2.5" springs? Congrats on top time. :thumbs:

96GS#007 08-15-2017 11:39 PM

With the stiffer front springs, are you getting more understeer?

Tomswheels 08-16-2017 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by 96GS#007 (Post 1595371440)
With the stiffer front springs, are you getting more understeer?

No Jim, front end feels the best it's ever been with these Aldans and the big front bar.

Tomswheels 08-16-2017 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2 (Post 1595369526)
Hi Tom.

Any clearance issue with the rear tie rod? Are they really 2.5" springs? Congrats on top time. :thumbs:

Steve, no problems with rear tie Rod or A arms. I'll measure tomorrow, but I believe they are standard size. Looking forward to running with you next time.

Tomswheels 08-16-2017 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank (Post 1595365708)
Good overview, you did extremely well. I've always thought coilovers were a bit strange on a Corvette, especially since they still haven't ditched the transverse leaf springs. I liken it to a second swaybar that has some ride dampening qualities, at the expense of suspension independence side to side. I 100% notice the unsettling on turns with bumps. Expansion joints on highway sweepers are a scenario I come across frequently.

I'm sure coils are in my future.

Originally Posted by Acid666 (Post 1595365970)
Holy Sh*t, $1195? I've never heard of these but need to check them out. I installed Koni Yellows last week and have a Strano front bar literally coming in today and getting installed today for a race this weekend.
I'm kind of the same position as you other than the 335s. I'm running in CAM and usually taking the win (as they usually group all CAM-S/N/T together), and I'm looking to push myself further ahead of the pack.. Hence why I talked to Stranos and decided on the Konis and his front bar.
I'm possibly interested in coilovers for next season if I find that more is left to be desired with my times. Swapping the shocks really wasn't that big of a deal so I could almost go from Koni to Coilover in an afternoon and test the differences at different events. And especially at that price.
Maybe these are something I'll look into next year when I finally get my 315 square setup. Glad I ran across this post.

I can't recommend them enough. The Rear end is just much better planted with the Aldans and 335s.

Tomswheels 08-19-2017 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2 (Post 1595369526)
Hi Tom.

Steve the inner diameter of the springs are around 3" and the OD 3.75"

Tomswheels 08-27-2017 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next stop, Nationals. The Cobra and C5/C6 Vette competition in CAM-S this year looks stout...

01badvette 08-28-2017 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tomswheels (Post 1595453397)
Next stop, Nationals. The Cobra and C5/C6 Vette competition in CAM-S this year looks stout...

Tom Good luck,
I have a set of Aldan Coils enroute to me now. If you don't mind I might reach out to you just for some basic setup info either here or thru Cam Nation FB, again good luck at nationals.

Tomswheels 08-28-2017 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 01badvette (Post 1595456367)
Tom Good luck,
I have a set of Aldan Coils enroute to me now. If you don't mind I might reach out to you just for some basic setup info either here or thru Cam Nation FB, again good luck at nationals.

Absolutely, hope you enjoy them as much as I am!

Cesar@TPS 08-31-2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tomswheels (Post 1595362519)
I had started out Autocrossing my stock C5Z on Koni Yellows with a Strano front bar in AS, then started to do other non-SCCA events. Since most of those events mirrored CAM rules, I tubbed the car to fit 335s on back on 18x12s. This caused interference with the rear leaf and necessitated a change to Coilovers. I decided to give the Aldan Americans a try, first because of price point ($1195 a set), second because they are made in America, and rebuildable here by Aldan if needed.

Installation was super easy, not much more than installing shocks. I had always thought that outright performance over the leaf spring / shock combo would not be that different because of how well it handled. I could not have been more pleasantly surprised the first time I Autocrossed the Aldan Coilovers. The biggest difference I could feel immediately on the drive to and on track, the car no longer feels unsettled over bumps. Unfortunately here in So-Cal, almost every track we race at is in some sort of disrepair, and there are numerous "imperfections". The car felt like a different animal both in turns and under braking.

First event out was the "V8 Builds Autocross" where I won vs a lot of highly modified late model Mustang and Camaro's, and a few Vettes. Missed top time of the day by 1/10th to a well known (Optima series) 2400lb Starion with an LS3. Not bad for a mostly stock 3100lb C5!

Glad to see that the the Aldan Coilover kit is performing as expected. Looks like you are having a great time with your car, keep having fun and winning some events. :rock::woohoo:

TPSMak 08-31-2017 06:58 PM

Tom,

Thanks for the order and I'm glad your happy with them. The Aldan Coilovers are an amazing product... ESPECIALLY when you consider it is made in the USA AND is cheaper than coilovers made overseas.

We have so much confidence in the product that we offer a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee AND offer a LIFETIME warranty on any manufacturer defects on the products. NO other retailer can offer this warranty on ANY coilover package on the market :) :thumbs: