CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Fiero Seat Rebuild - Follow Along (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4029785-fiero-seat-rebuild-follow-along.html)

AllC34Me 08-16-2017 09:57 AM

Fiero Seat Rebuild - Follow Along

4 Attachment(s)
I am going to be rebuilding these Fiero Seats to use in my 72 road race replica car and I thought I would share the details here along with information in my race replica thread. Not to duplicate, but to keep focus on the seats here as questions may arise.

I bought the seats from another forum member (thank you Anthony) and I picked them up on Monday.
Attachment 48196836

I put them in the 72 racer to check for spacing, they will rise about one and a half to two inches more with tracks and that will work great so I am good to go with the project. (Note, race seat harness will be used so location to the cross bar was important to keep the cross member above the seat openings to prevent compression of the spine).

Attachment 48196837
Attachment 48196838
Attachment 48196839

I like the side bolster support these provide and the comfort for driving as well so these will work out great for me.

I ordered the adapter bracket for the seats to mount to my Corvette tracks and received confirmation that they are on their way.

I have contacted Mr. Mikes to confirm what I am looking for and to place my order for the seat covers. Awaiting word back from him which I am sure will be soon.

More updates forthcoming as they happen.

Thanks for watching.

David Howard
AllVettes4Me

GUSTO14 08-16-2017 10:12 AM

This is a very popular modification on C2's and C3's. They seem like an ideal seat in most of these cars. Looking forward to the project. :thumbs:

Mr. Mikes covers really bring these seats into the modern era.

Good luck... GUSTO

ddawson 08-16-2017 10:39 AM

Cool, covers are not bad to install. Removing the old hog clips was the worst of it.

Mike advised I take a few wash cloths and cut the edges off and build up the lumbar. That worked great for me.

AllC34Me 08-16-2017 11:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm going with this style of seat:
Attachment 48196867

Incorporating these shoulder strap openings:
Attachment 48196868

Which will look similar to these when completed (minus the Ferrari logo of course):
Attachment 48196869

Looking forward to it. :thumbs:

David

Bergerboy 08-16-2017 03:27 PM

Looks like a fun project.
Don't forget to upgrade those speakers in the headrests to more modern tweeters.
I had an '84 Fiero when they first came out (my first new car!), and those headrest speakers really made a difference, as they supplemented the main front speakers and were the only sound coming from behind you.
As a GM seat engineer, I'd advise you to make sure of your anchorages to the floor, as well as your belt anchors.

Good luck and keep up posted.

AllC34Me 08-16-2017 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bergerboy (Post 1595375409)
Looks like a fun project.
Don't forget to upgrade those speakers in the headrests to more modern tweeters.
I had an '84 Fiero when they first came out (my first new car!), and those headrest speakers really made a difference, as they supplemented the main front speakers and were the only sound coming from behind you.
As a GM seat engineer, I'd advise you to make sure of your anchorages to the floor, as well as your belt anchors.

Good luck and keep up posted.

All great points, thank you. David

74Ken 08-17-2017 09:29 AM

FYI, The headrests use 3.5" speakers. I found 2 sets of Kicker Speakers for mine. Keep in mind these are small speakers and you will be sending a lot of frequencies to these speakers. You may need to add a filter, but you can do that back at the amp instead of burying them inside the headrests and never being able to change them.

The sound great even with the roof off, but you still need a source for BASE. There is no base from the front speakers and the headrest speakers are just too small.

I went with an 8" SUB in the jack compartment and that made all the difference in the world.

Ken

Here's some pics for reference:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f30c567b35.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5aa476e87e.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ebaf37c2c8.jpg

chazde3 08-17-2017 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 74Ken (Post 1595380149)
The sound great even with the roof off, but you still need a source for BASE. There is no base from the front speakers and the headrest speakers are just too small.

I went with an 8" SUB in the jack compartment and that made all the difference in the world.

Ken

This statement really confused my brain until I realized you meant BASS.

I really like the idea of speakers in the headrests because those of us with big blocks and side pipes have a huge issue with hearing anything over the roar of the engine. Looking forward to seeing these go into the racer David!

Mick42767 08-17-2017 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by chazde3 (Post 1595380721)
This statement really confused my brain until I realized you meant BASS.

I really like the idea of speakers in the headrests because those of us with big blocks and side pipes have a huge issue with hearing anything over the roar of the engine. Looking forward to seeing these go into the racer David!

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to hook those headrest speakers up directly to an iPhone?

74Ken 08-17-2017 05:03 PM

Ah NO, you need something to collect the sound coming from the iPhone and amplify it.
Stick with a Blue Tooth receiver and you will be very happy.

AllC34Me 09-20-2017 11:34 AM

My good friend Eric (Tyrant) located a second pair of these for me and has them sitting awaiting my return to the mainland. I cannot wait to jump into this seat project. Thanks again Eric. :thumbs:
David