CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   CAI vs BMS filter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4036134-cai-vs-bms-filter.html)

timmyZ06 08-30-2017 06:00 AM

CAI vs BMS filter

I would like to know if the Max flow CFM difference would justify getting a full Cai system instead of a BMS filter! I know it has been discuted before, but ive seen a lot of difference in level of modding. In this case, i'm talking about Intake, Ported TB and X pipe,notplanning on going crazy....yet!!:D And more importantly, NO TUNE!!!!! Not looking FCK up the warranty just yet, So gains WITH a tune, wont be revelant here. Lastly, Im hope a CAI would at least let us hear the blower whining a Lil more!!!

Doctor Mark 08-30-2017 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by timmyZ06 (Post 1595468864)
I would like to know if the Max flow CFM difference would justify getting a full Cai system instead of a BMS filter! I know it has been discuted before, but ive seen a lot of difference in level of modding. In this case, i'm talking about Intake, Ported TB and X pipe,notplanning on going crazy....yet!!:D And more importantly, NO TUNE!!!!! Not looking FCK up the warranty just yet, So gains WITH a tune, wont be revelant here. Lastly, Im hope a CAI would at least let us hear the blower whining a Lil more!!!

CAI would probably void the warranty as well.

DRLC5 08-30-2017 09:35 AM

I have had 3 C7 Z06s all 3 had aftermarket Cold air intakes, Halltech and AFR, My opinion they both worked great, I just got my 4th Z06 yesterday and today I ordered the BMS filter, I hope it works as well as some of the reviews I have read? Anyone else have any input on the BMS VS CAI? I did not tune with my aftermarket CAI no issues at all. You could hear a slight improvement of blower whine.

phantasms 08-30-2017 10:18 AM

I've had two generations of Haltech intakes, a green air filter and a BMS air filter. The BMS is the way to go without question.

Best,
Gene :cheers:

Terry@BMS 08-30-2017 10:40 AM

You are asking the wrong question on "Max CFM Flow Difference"... Generally the larger the intake/filter the higher the total CFM and the lower the restriction at very high CFMs... But, the CFM your motor requires depends effectively on its power level. It doesn't matter if you have less restriction at 1400cfm if your motor only requires 900cfm.

Our drop in filter and a full air intake are very close on power at least until the ~630whp levels we've tested so far (2.3" upper pulley, 30% E85). I'd love to see someone with 700whp do some back to back testing to evaluate.

timmyZ06 08-30-2017 03:04 PM

Thanks Tery for the input! Btw , I love the JB4 on the B car!! Now like i said i still new room for upgrading afterward. Intake, X-pipe and ported TB are for now. Later, ill throw a upper pulley and meth and a tune obviously, this is where i think i might regret the filter!

3 Z06ZR1 08-30-2017 09:23 PM

I have the first Gen Halltech. The amount of power the Z06 it picks up with the Halltech is amazing I love my Halltech on my 2015 Z06.
My car pulled 600 rwhp stock with just the Halltech intake.
My tuner installs them but he didn't install mine nor did I buy it there said they pull at least 40 rwhp and more on everyone he sees.

The Halltech CAI is the single best mod for the dollar you can do bar none.
That car now has headers PTB tune etc.
But one Z06 with mods is enough so

for my 2017 Z06 I'm staying stock except for a different filter.

Which is very good mod as well. In my mind any Z06 should have at least a High flow filter.

This paper filter GM uses on the C7 as well is really bad that is why just a filter adds power back pretty big power. My 4 cly Colorado has a bigger filter than the Z06 has.

Not doing any other mods no point I'm just going to chill with the A8.

Leave it stock less the filter swap for dinner dates.
If I had plans for any mods per say I would do the CAI. But I staying stock on the A8 so just the filter.
Both have there place. :cheers:

Warp Factor 08-31-2017 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1595474618)
My tuner installs them but he didn't install mine nor did I buy it there said they pull at least 40 rwhp and more on everyone he sees.

How much of that is the intake, and how much is the tune?

If untuned, how much does the power decrease after the computer "learns" the different airflow?
(BMS found some interesting things on this, that part of the power increase is due the engine running less rich, because the air flow pattern around the MAF is altered.)

3 Z06ZR1 08-31-2017 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Warp Factor (Post 1595476008)
How much of that is the intake, and how much is the tune?

If untuned, how much does the power decrease after the computer "learns" the different airflow?
(BMS found some interesting things on this, that part of the power increase is due the engine running less rich, because the air flow pattern around the MAF is altered.)

All of them I was talking about the factory tune. :cheers:

Bill Dearborn 09-01-2017 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1595474618)
I have the first Gen Halltech. The amount of power the Z06 it picks up with the Halltech is amazing I love my Halltech on my 2015 Z06.
My car pulled 600 rwhp stock with just the Halltech intake.

The Halltech CAI is the single best mod for the dollar you can do bar none.
That car now has headers PTB tune etc.
But one Z06 with mods is enough so

for my 2017 Z06 I'm staying stock except for a different filter.

Which is very good mod as well. In my mind any Z06 should have at least a High flow filter.

This paper filter GM uses on the C7 as well is really bad that is why just a filter adds power back pretty big power. My 4 cly Colorado has a bigger filter than the Z06 has.

Not doing any other mods no point I'm just going to chill with the A8.

Leave it stock less the filter swap for dinner dates.
If I had plans for any mods per say I would do the CAI. But I staying stock on the A8 so just the filter.
Both have there place. :cheers:

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS (Post 1595470070)
You are asking the wrong question on "Max CFM Flow Difference"... Generally the larger the intake/filter the higher the total CFM and the lower the restriction at very high CFMs... But, the CFM your motor requires depends effectively on its power level. It doesn't matter if you have less restriction at 1400cfm if your motor only requires 900cfm.

Our drop in filter and a full air intake are very close on power at least until the ~630whp levels we've tested so far (2.3" upper pulley, 30% E85). I'd love to see someone with 700whp do some back to back testing to evaluate.

That may all be true but at 3000 rpm is the Halltech providing any benefit over the factory filter? As Terry says having a super high air flow capacity doesn't help if the engine doesn't need it. How many places are you going to run the car at 6500 rpm to actually make use of that extra 40 to 60 HP of peak HP. Almost all street driving is done with engine rpms in the 1K to 3K range I don't know what the WOT air demand is at those rpms but I suspect it is well within the capabilities of the stock filter.

At what rpm does having a higher flow intake actually make a difference?

Bill

Terry@BMS 09-01-2017 06:33 PM

The power gained from leaning out the AFR is across the board, but the gains from the reduction is restriction grow towards the higher end of the power band.

geterdone 09-01-2017 06:37 PM

I went with the BMS, and plan on adding a nomex sock or something to the equivalent and possibly add a tric from halltech. The question I have is should I remove the screen that is on the filter box? Or has anybody seen before and after results from this.

Terry@BMS 09-01-2017 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by geterdone (Post 1595487535)
I went with the BMS, and plan on adding a nomex sock or something to the equivalent and possibly add a tric from halltech. The question I have is should I remove the screen that is on the filter box? Or has anybody seen before and after results from this.

Do not remove the screen and do not waste your time or money trying to insulate the factory rubber air ducting. :)

3 Z06ZR1 09-01-2017 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1595485894)
That may all be true but at 3000 rpm is the Halltech providing any benefit over the factory filter? As Terry says having a super high air flow capacity doesn't help if the engine doesn't need it. How many places are you going to run the car at 6500 rpm to actually make use of that extra 40 to 60 HP of peak HP. Almost all street driving is done with engine rpms in the 1K to 3K range I don't know what the WOT air demand is at those rpms but I suspect it is well within the capabilities of the stock filter.

At what rpm does having a higher flow intake actually make a difference?

Bill

Post the BMS on a stock car and then post the Halltech on a stock car
I will bet their will be a difference from right off idle not just in the upper RPM's!

Until then you are speculating! :cheers:

Higgs Boson 09-01-2017 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1595488673)
Post the BMS on a stock car and then post the Halltech on a stock car
I will bet their will be a difference from right off idle not just in the upper RPM's!

Until then you are speculating! :cheers:

Have you had the Haltech, AFE, and BMS all on the same car to compare?

I have.

HNK 09-01-2017 11:44 PM

And?

phantasms 09-02-2017 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 1595489117)

I have.

Exactly. Two Haltech's, Green and BMS here. BMS FTW.

3 Z06ZR1 09-02-2017 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 1595489117)

I have.

Did you get any dyno sheets? :cheers:

ScGRaceR 09-02-2017 05:04 PM

BMS is the way to go.

DRLC5 09-02-2017 08:22 PM

I installed the BMS in my new 18 Z tonight, started raining so yet to give it a try. I have had the other intakes both with good power increases but not so good fitment. Looking forward to testing it out tomorrow.