CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/wheels-and-tires-6/)
-   -   Need help on what rims i have!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/4039928-need-help-on-what-rims-i-have.html)

Timmy Turner 09-08-2017 12:57 AM

Need help on what rims i have!!

Hey, so i just recently bought some rims for dirt cheap... and was wondering what i have. It has no name or brand on them. And the owner tried to do his own "unilug"on them. https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...31234a620.jpeg

gilhuly 09-08-2017 07:25 AM

welcome to the forum!

Route99 09-08-2017 07:37 AM

Welcome to the Forum!
You have an aftermarket honeycomb style wheel but no idea of the manufacturer. Have you looked on the inside for any markings or ID you could use for a on-line search? The oval bolt holes of the wheels appear to indicate they were made to fit multiple wheel bolt patterns.
Good luck with your search.

jehuds10 09-08-2017 10:01 AM

Welcome to the forum!

FX VETTE 09-08-2017 10:24 AM

Welcome to the CF!

Vetteman Jack 09-08-2017 10:59 AM

Moving this to Wheels and Tires section for possible additional responses.

striper 09-09-2017 07:21 PM

I don't remember what the brand of the wheel is, but I think it was Appliance Wheels out of California, many years ago. This is a very old wheel if I'm correct. The design was based on the early BBS wheels. The lug set up was called uni-lug, designed to fit any bolt pattern by changing the available lug inserts. Hope that helps. Some of the bolt patterns could be changed by reversing the offset lug holes.

Timmy Turner 09-10-2017 02:23 PM

Do you guys think i should reweld and re drill holes on them? Or try to find the washers and bolts for them?

leadfoot4 09-10-2017 02:30 PM

There were several "wheel companies" that marketed this style of wheel, back in the 80s. They were not exactly a "multi-fit" in the way "striper" is describing. Keystone Wheels were the only ones that sold wheels with an offset "slug" that allowed for the multiple bolt circle applications. The reason I say this, is because the wheels pictured don't have the oblong "indentation" that accepts this slug.

What I see, is one of the "low cost", imported wheels, that worked with 2 different lug patterns, usually 5x4.5 and 5x4.75. The shank of the "mag style" lug nuts "shouldered up" to either the inside of the slot, for the 4.5" BC, or the outside of the slot, for the 4.75" BC. These wheels were truly "lugcentric", in the truest sense of the word.

I used to sell custom wheels and tires, back in the mid70s-mid80s, as a part time deal. Although I didn't sell any wheels with this particular spoke pattern, I did sell several sets of "Turbo-Vec" style wheels, with this dual bolt pattern. They MIGHT have been marketed under the 'Rocket Wheels' name.

EDIT.......after re-reading this subject, I sort of remember that Appliance may have made a "multi-fit" wheel, too, but I didn't have any personal experience with them. The only "uni-lug" wheels I used or sold, were Keystones.....

Timmy Turner 09-10-2017 07:52 PM

So its best for me just to try to find the best washers and bolts to Go with the wheels rather than re weld them and re drill?

striper 09-10-2017 11:43 PM

Unless you can find the original parts that went in the holes I wouldn't try to modify them. They are probably pretty heavy considering the technology of making them back in their day, as opposed to wheels made now. You didn't mention what you are intending to put them on, so is the size correct for your car? I don't think I'd mess with them. I have a post here with that style of wheel I'm considering selling. Good quality wheels don't come cheap.

leadfoot4 09-11-2017 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Timmy Turner (Post 1595545874)
So its best for me just to try to find the best washers and bolts to Go with the wheels rather than re weld them and re drill?

The heat of welding up the current bolt holes, would destroy the finish, and possibly warp the enters. Re-drilling the bolt holes ACCURATELY won't be easy, or cost effective, unless you own a machine shop.

I do happen to like that spoke design, in a "throwback" sort of way. You haven't mentioned what car you want to use them on, however. If you really like that design, you may want to take a look at the ESM Wheels website, or possibly the Enkei Wheels website. They both have some similar stuff.

However, if you're looking to use these wheels on a C-3 Corvette, keep in mind that brake caliper clearance is an issue with MANY aftermarket wheels.

JC_101 09-15-2017 10:33 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Kevova 09-15-2017 11:35 PM

They look like Appliance Wire Mags from the early mid seventies. Vari-fit bolt pattern was common. Wheels would fit 4 1/2 to 5" bolt patterns, they also had a habit of lug nuts coming loose. If you use them I would retorque lug nuts periodically.

1968swbbigblock 09-18-2017 09:55 PM

I would agree these are appliance wheels circa 1975 or so
Used to have a set on my 67 GTO
Considering the age and the fact that the prior owner did a home made
Unilug I would cut my loss and scrap them.
Unilug was questionable safe to start with who knows on a home made hack job