CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Removing the Needle from tachometer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4040099-removing-the-needle-from-tachometer.html)

woodsdesign 09-08-2017 01:56 PM

Removing the Needle from tachometer

I would like to replace the face on my tach. However, I can't get the needle off. Is there a trick to removing the needle without braking the shaft? If I wiggle the needle back and forth it will most likely brake the shaft tip off.

65 Pro Vette 09-08-2017 04:39 PM

Just hold the needle by the center and turn it counterclockwise gently, and it should come right off

67vetteal 09-08-2017 04:43 PM

Google is your friend. Al W.:flag:

jet-tech 09-08-2017 05:11 PM

No need for fancy tools. Like 65 Pro Vette said, just turn and gently pill. It will come off. Now putting it back on were it reads correct speed or RPM is a different matter.

woodsdesign 09-08-2017 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 67vetteal (Post 1595533348)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWxZWLs_vgk
Google is your friend. Al W.:flag:

That was sooo cool! Thank You

woodsdesign 09-08-2017 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jet-tech (Post 1595533485)
No need for fancy tools. Like 65 Pro Vette said, just turn and gently pill. It will come off. Now putting it back on were it reads correct speed or RPM is a different matter.

Any suggestions on how to clock the needle in the right position?
I'm just thinking line it up and press.

buns 09-08-2017 08:51 PM

To Remove:
Grasp the round part of the pointer between your thumb and forefinger. Turn the pointer counterclockwise while gently lifting and the pointer will come off. If the pointer and shaft assembly should turn freely together the speed cup is broken. Grip the shaft with pliers then follow the above removal procedure.

To Reinstall:

Install the pointer by placing it at about the 12 o'clock position on the shaft. Push down while turning the pointer counterclockwise to the 0 position. Increase pressure gradually while turning and the pointer will be locked to the shaft.

65tripleblack 09-09-2017 12:14 PM

Be sure to inject some dielectric silicone lubricant between the shaft and the enclosing tube. This serves to dampen the needle's movement and after 60 years most tachs' dampening fluid is long gone. If your tach needle swings wildly, you need to do this.

woodsdesign 09-09-2017 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack (Post 1595537698)
Be sure to inject some dielectric silicone lubricant between the shaft and the enclosing tube. This serves to dampen the needle's movement and after 60 years most tachs' dampening fluid is long gone. If your tach needle swings wildly, you need to do this.

Is the "enclosing tube" the framework that houses the speed cup?

65tripleblack 09-09-2017 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by woodsdesign (Post 1595539261)
Is the "enclosing tube" the framework that houses the speed cup?

No it isn't. Once you remove the needle, you'll see it. It's small in diameter. Less than 1/8" I would estimate. IIRC, it is about 3/32" shorter than the shaft. I made a tip for my tube of dielectric grease and shot some in. I can't say how much because the space between the shaft and tube is so small. You really have to squeeze the grease tube hard. It doesn't take much though, to dampen the motion of the shaft.

Best I can explain it. If I had a picture I would post it.

I had my gauges restored in 2002, but didn't know about this at the time, so I restored and assembled my cluster without doing this. After hearing about how the gauges were damped from the factory, I decided to try this about 5 years ago to calm down my wild tach needle. It works perfectly now. This video is "before". You'll have to trust me on the "after".