CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Convertible to Coupe (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4041052-convertible-to-coupe.html)

teejake 09-11-2017 08:05 AM

Convertible to Coupe

Wondering if anyone has gone from convertible to coupe that could share their overall thoughts and compare the top down experience between the vert and the coupe with roof panel off. Also wondering about transparent top in terms of heat in vehicle and if you think dual roof package is worth buying. I've had C2, C5, C6, and C7 all convertibles but having lost my C7 in Harvey I'm considering a coupe for both a change of pace and a slight preference for how it looks compared to convertible.

Thanks

Tom

Foosh 09-11-2017 08:16 AM

Sorry about your loss in Hurricane Harvey. It depends.

if you rarely had your convertible top down, then you're better off going w/ the coupe. If you really enjoy top-down driving, the coupe is a huge step backwards because it's not even close to the same experience, and more like a large sunroof. Most folks tend to use coupes much less with the top off, because of the "hassle" of mounting and dismounting the top (even though it's not that hard), and because of the unpredictability of weather.

Somewhat ironically, the convertible cabin is considerably quieter than the coupe with both tops up/on. I've had both, and whereas my convertible top is up and down all the time, I rarely took the top off my coupe.

oldC5 09-11-2017 08:17 AM

I switched from convertible to coupe. Car looks stunning in coupe, but not the same feeling of the convertible. The wife hated the convertible. Love the open feeling of the convertible.Can't complain my GS looks stunning.If I ever buy again it will be a Z06 convertible .

rrsperry 09-11-2017 08:30 AM

I agree with Foosh. The roof is a small hassle to deal with, especially for me, as I always have my golf clubs back there. Yes, the roof will fit with my bag, but it's a bit of a tetris squish. No way when I pick up my buddy and have two bags...

dvilin 09-11-2017 08:37 AM

I went from Coupe to Convertible. A world of difference, so much so I will never get another coupe. The coupe with the top off is noisy, terrible wind buffeting at highway speeds, and pain in the butt when you park someplace as you have to replace the top, or the weather changes.
Plus in time the top will start that awful creaking sound.
Driving experience can not in any way be compared to a convertible.

23/C8Z 09-11-2017 09:07 AM

I should've bought a vert. Had the chance for same price white with red interior vs my car. Vert was 2LZ mine is 3LZ design pkg. The chrome wheels on the vert turned me off to it. In hindsight I should've bought the vert and will correct that in couple years maybe sooner.

my wife hates the top down (I've rented numerous convertibles in past). But so be it.

top off is 20% the feel if a vert imo. Better than sum roof or a t top car but NOT A VERT!

Top up or down I like vert profile better. And my car is stunning to me. Just a vert is more stunning!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bf34e80b42.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a8a45b0a52.jpg

teejake 09-11-2017 09:31 AM

I really appreciate the insights, I typically had my top down 60% of the time. I suspect I'd be unhappy with a car that might look slightly better but be less functional for me.

roadbike56 09-11-2017 09:59 AM

In Texas, you absolutely want a painted top if you go with a coupe. It's OK to get the transparent top, 2 roof package, but transparent alone won't work in the south. I had a two top package with my C5. I liked the transparent top in the winter, it helped keep the car warm. However, rarely did it get to late May before the transparent top was in storage and the painted roof came out. I have a painted roof on the C7. Some day I'll get a transparent roof, but I'm in no hurry.
It's been a LONG time since my C3 days and the vert that I absolutely loved. But I was in my 20s then and living a different life. Now, the coupe works for all the times I want a Corvette. That's just me, I understand others might prefer the vert.

Foosh 09-11-2017 10:01 AM

It's purely personal taste, but I prefer the looks of the convertible as well top up or down. It's a visual illusion, but it looks smaller and more like a sports car.

JonMN 09-11-2017 10:02 AM

No question the coupes are stunning, and look really exotic with the top removed. Also nice to have AC for anything you have in the back . .. as opposed to the trunk in the vert.

That being said, my sports car history (not all Vettes) has been:
vert, vert, coupe and back to vert for good.

As classic as the coupe is, a vert is a different experience.

joemessman 09-11-2017 10:26 AM

I live in Arizona and have both roofs. The transparent is fine. I can't tell much of a difference using the transparent or solid, and that is only with the sun straight up and filtering a little bit on your head. I am pretty thin with my hair on top of my head. I don't even bother with the painted roof down here. I mothballed it. I bought a sunshade for the Transparent roof and don't even use that with it.
With the top off my coupe it damn near rips the top of my head off when you get over 45 mph. The convertible is quieter with top off or down. The only reason I didn't buy the convertible is that we travel quite often and need the extra storage the coupe provides. It was a must.
Personal opinion, but I think the convertible looks better than the coupe, especially from the side. But I do like my coupe, and it sounds like you would be a lot better off with the convertible based on your questions and preferences.
I'm really sorry for your loss regarding the car. But at least you have your health. Cars can be replaced. That's why I have 42,000 on mine at the 20 month mark of ownership. And I can't wait to wear it out and buy another one.

MikeyTX 09-11-2017 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by teejake (Post 1595547910)
Wondering if anyone has gone from convertible to coupe that could share their overall thoughts and compare the top down experience between the vert and the coupe with roof panel off. Also wondering about transparent top in terms of heat in vehicle and if you think dual roof package is worth buying. I've had C2, C5, C6, and C7 all convertibles but having lost my C7 in Harvey I'm considering a coupe for both a change of pace and a slight preference for how it looks compared to convertible. And, wit the top off

Thanks

Tom

I have several times. Always gone back to a convertible. Only advantage to the coupe is cargo space on a long trip if your other half goes. I don't track the car either. And, storage is negated with the top stowed in the cargo area.

robert miller 09-11-2017 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1595548019)
I went from Coupe to Convertible. A world of difference, so much so I will never get another coupe. The coupe with the top off is noisy, terrible wind buffeting at highway speeds, and pain in the butt when you park someplace as you have to replace the top, or the weather changes.

:iagree: Plus now on the conv just push a button to get it up r down. Will never get a coupe again.

Maxpowers 09-11-2017 12:14 PM

I've owned convertibles before and the C7 coupe with the top off doesn't come close to the experience of a cabrio.

While the targa is nice to have, the wind turbulence at speed can be brutal on longer trips.

Rebel Yell 09-11-2017 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1595548019)

:iagree: Couldn't have said it better. Our first convertible (while dating) was a '65 Impala. It took us awhile to get back in one after it wore out(we were broke like everyone else at our young age), but my bride and I both know that the Vette at least must be a drop top. It's like a genetic defect that must be contended with. :yesnod:

BTW, she drives a Mustang GT convertible. (No haters please, I've tried). :D

C7 Vert 09-11-2017 01:50 PM

coupe to convertible

3 Attachment(s)
I had many cars in my life, but never a convertible. So my retirement gift to myself was a C7 Convertible! Totally different animal and lovin it!:flaghalfmast:

Kevin A Jones 09-11-2017 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1595548423)
It's purely personal taste, but I prefer the looks of the convertible as well top up or down. It's a visual illusion, but it looks smaller and more like a sports car.

:iagree:
I never even considered a coup C7.
This recent thread has some good information on the subject.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html

RedC7AZ 09-11-2017 03:36 PM

I've owned several convertibles, although not Corvettes.

The C7 coupe is nearly the same open air experience as a convertible. I don't miss the convertible.

Roof is a featherweight at 16 lbs and is easily removed or placed back on in about 30 seconds.

The coupe is arguably better looking, although this is subjective.

Coupe has more storage space.

...and coupe costs thousands less for those who care.

Corgidog1 09-11-2017 03:45 PM

For me it is a toy to be driven in nice weather and what better way to enjoy that than with a vert.

Steve_R 09-11-2017 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ (Post 1595550418)
The C7 coupe is nearly the same open air experience as a convertible.

Not even close. I've had both. I have far less wind noise and buffeting in my vert than the coupe had with the top off. I can drive 80 on the interstate with the top down on the vert and be comfortable. A few miles with the top off the coupe at that speed was horrible.