CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Ron Fellows feedback (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4041071-ron-fellows-feedback.html)

mickey3 09-11-2017 09:29 AM

Ron Fellows feedback

Just got back from the Ron Fellows Corvette owners school and wanted to share my impressions:
FYI: I drove a ZO6 ZO7 package M-7 for track and most exercises, plus a Stingray A-8 on a dry oval and the wet skid pad.

(1) The school was fun with lots of good information, class room time was short with plenty of in car driving and lots of time on the track.

(2) Instructors were easy and handled people very well. They did not make anyone feel dumb if they made a mistake or did not understand the instructions.

(3) After the first days track session they had a good idea of everyones skill level and made track groups that fit well together. So no need to worry about being with a group that was too fast or too slow.

(4) I thought driving a 650 hp car on the track would be intimidating, but they worked out a few rules that made the experience feel safe and controlled, without restricting what we did behind the wheel, they encouraged full throttle and high cornering speeds - fun!

(5) These cars are amazing and it gave me a new respect for owners that track these monsters.

(6) The Stingray was super fast on the oval and easy to handle at the limit as was the ZO6.

(7) The ride along with the instructor, was just amazing, they can really hustle these cars. The instructors love the Corvettes and have great respect for the engineering and the build quality Chevrolet has put into these cars.

If you can possibly make it happen, do not miss the opportunity to attend.

pdiddy972 09-11-2017 09:53 AM

Are you always driving in "Track" modes? I'm a bit worried about that because I have a back injury and it gets exacerbated by driving in Sport or Track for very long. Wondering if I could withstand two days of that.

joemessman 09-11-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 (Post 1595548376)
Are you always driving in "Track" modes? I'm a bit worried about that because I have a back injury and it gets exacerbated by driving in Sport or Track for very long. Wondering if I could withstand two days of that.

In my opinion it would be an issue for you. I would hate to see you spend all the money and find out you could only take 5 minutes of pounding on the track. Those corners can put a lot of lateral strain on your back.

Grand Slam 09-11-2017 11:26 AM

Depends on how long you can tolerate driving. Driving and class time are interspersed so you aren't on the track continuously. Something like an hour in the class followed by an hour on the track.

mtaxman 09-11-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by mickey3 (Post 1595548260)
if you can possibly make it happen, do not miss the opportunity to attend.

Good info, going Oct 18/19...can't wait :auto:

mickey3 09-11-2017 03:28 PM

Yes track mode, sport 1. Adrenaline would probably get you through the track laps, but you would feel it afterward. They do stress being smooth, but the car really feels violent when you are on the track. We were hitting 110 plus in one place and a solid 100 in another. I felt tired on the last day. Not sure if you would be OK, maybe you could ask your doctor?

mtaxman 09-11-2017 04:10 PM

I have back issues as well. Advil during and chiropractor after is my plan.

Davids65 09-11-2017 05:30 PM

Heading there next Friday can't wait!

Woodson 09-11-2017 05:36 PM

The one I was in didn't have mag ride. :ack:

desmophile 09-11-2017 05:46 PM

FWIW, I was at RF in August, drove Z06A, they have you paddle shift. Sign up for an auto. Use your left leg to help brace you back with the dead pedal-set the seat up appropriately. Take some ibuprofen with breakfast and lunch and some with dinner (or anti inflammatory of choice). If you are set up right, you can be pretty relaxed in the back and let the bolsters of the seats take up the g force at shoulders and hips. Your neck is more likely to get sore. The tracks are pretty smooth, and (at least on the track I was on, north side by condos, the sudden side movements can be mitigated by not driving up on the curbs and having the car stick the landing:D After a couple of sessions the instructors have you sorted out in groups according to pace. No one got a trophy so drive a speed that is comfortable for you and enjoy:rock: You will learn a lot!!

VetteLex 09-11-2017 06:04 PM

Have done the BMW performance school in South Carolina 3 times. Lots of fun but being a passenger will make you sick. I am not a fast driver but I ended up winning the track lap time event. Seriously thinking about doing this school. Have a Z06 and have not been able to really test it like I could at this school. Back problems as well so I would come prepared.

Dr Man 09-11-2017 06:39 PM

I'll be there 10/25 and 10/26. Been watching the YouTube videos in mental preparation.

LT4_CE 09-11-2017 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mickey3 (Post 1595548260)

If you can possibly make it happen, do not miss the opportunity to attend.

Thanks for your informative post! It's coming up on a year since my purchase, so I had to move fast if I wanted to take advantage of the reduced price. I'll be going there on 9/18! I am stoked!!! :rock:

Silver C7 09-11-2017 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by VetteLex (Post 1595551394)
Have done the BMW performance school in South Carolina 3 times. Lots of fun but being a passenger will make you sick. I am not a fast driver but I ended up winning the track lap time event. Seriously thinking about doing this school. Have a Z06 and have not been able to really test it like I could at this school. Back problems as well so I would come prepared.

They will supply Dramamine for the family or friend ride along. A couple of drivers had to go make a "pit-stop" after their ride alongs. I took mine with Jason (was fun extremely supportive) and if nothing else it will quickly improve your track vision and sight lines.

It is amazing how they they drive Camaro's in lead-chase exercises, and their skill (24/7 driving on those tracks, we used the east track with the Michelin Bridge) really shows as they drive and coach simultaneously. If we stayed for a month, we might get close to their level. The instructors are amazing! :thumbs:

Silver C7 09-11-2017 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by desmophile (Post 1595551298)
FWIW, I was at RF in August, drove Z06A, they have you paddle shift. Sign up for an auto. Use your left leg to help brace you back with the dead pedal-set the seat up appropriately. Take some ibuprofen with breakfast and lunch and some with dinner (or anti inflammatory of choice). If you are set up right, you can be pretty relaxed in the back and let the bolsters of the seats take up the g force at shoulders and hips. Your neck is more likely to get sore. The tracks are pretty smooth, and (at least on the track I was on, north side by condos, the sudden side movements can be mitigated by not driving up on the curbs and having the car stick the landing:D After a couple of sessions the instructors have you sorted out in groups according to pace. No one got a trophy so drive a speed that is comfortable for you and enjoy:rock: You will learn a lot!!

Desmo & Friend are excellent drivers! I enjoyed their company.

chasboland 09-11-2017 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Man (Post 1595551582)
I'll be there 10/25 and 10/26. Been watching the YouTube videos in mental preparation.

Here's some of my fun, too bad we stopped on the straight a bunch of times. Didn't matter we got plenty of seat time. Awesome time. So glad my wife made me do it.:rock:

Davids65 09-11-2017 08:52 PM

Does anyone have any advice as to what to bring that might not be on the paperwork which I need to review again being it is getting close! I have two 32 gig cards just in case not sure how to dress being I have never been there and the temperature is unknown. I can't wait I have been watching every video on youtube including the one just posted above I started watching it and said man this seems familiar as I had just watched on youtube a little while ago. I know there is at least one other member going on the 22st hopefully there will be others look forward to meeting other members.

Grand Slam 09-11-2017 10:34 PM

Check out a weather website for general clothes. Weather channel says the temperature in Pahrump will be in the mid-80's for you. In the car you'll want comfortable clothes (I wore t-shirts and shorts in 75 degree weather in April).

They recommend driving shoes but that isn't necessary since you won't be doing heel-toe (you'll be using rev matching or paddle shifting).

redman76 09-11-2017 10:52 PM

I'm in the condo tonight and can't wait to get to class tomorrow. I've been watching videos of sessions in preparation. I have done some pretty fast touring laps at Bowling Green just to get a feel for car and track since I had never been on a track before. Supposed to be 99* tomorrow, but it's a dry heat :rofl:

I'll be rolling in a M7 GS.

ea327 09-11-2017 10:55 PM

Thanks for the great overview and video. I'm going on 9/25 and 26 and I can't wait:cheers: