CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   C6 performance info (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4041286-c6-performance-info.html)

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 05:32 PM

C6 performance info

Just picked up a great car!

Looking for comments on wether adding a throttle body and cold air intake to a 2008 c6 with the z51 package would be worth the money?
Also, considering adding a performance chip.

Car runs and sounds great as is... Data shows its at 440 hp

Will the above 3 performance enhancements make a noticeable difference?

Thank you.

RocketDawg 09-11-2017 05:43 PM

Don't know about the first two, but are you sure there's even a chip available? If there is, I'd stay away from it.

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 05:45 PM

Got it...

Thank you for your reply.

nomocrap 09-11-2017 05:47 PM

I have a 2008 Z51 Coupe MN6 fast enough for me JAY:flag:

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 05:55 PM

I have to agree with ya Jay! :)

Was just looking to have a little fun...

I come from a corvette family and just picked up my first one. My father used to build and race them, so I guess it's in my blood.

Thanks for your reply.

Vet Interested 09-11-2017 06:15 PM

What "chip" are you talking about?

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 06:40 PM

Based on yours being the 2nd reply about a performance chip, or that one even exists, I'm assuming there isn't that option available for this car.

I retract that part of the question...

Just looking for more information about performance boosters from knowledgeable Vette owners.

Thanks.

whitenow 09-11-2017 06:42 PM

Not worth the money to me. From all I read, the stock LS3 with it's filter and intake are pretty darn good, but a tune may be worth while. I went for the Diablosport InTune and just loaded the 93 Octane performance tune. Mine is not the fastest, coolest, quickest, snazziest or anything else-ist. But it makes me happy to operate!!!
One thing about these cars is the only limitation to going faster is the money available to dump into them!
Personally, I would bump up the stopping capability before making things quicker/faster.

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 06:50 PM

Very good whitenow!

I appreciate your input.

Continued enjoyment of a beautiful car!

Take care...

HBsurfer 09-11-2017 07:19 PM

If you have not done it already, go to a big, empty parking lot and turn off all of the traction aids and let 'er rip. You may not need as many mods as you think.
If you still want more, find a good local tuner and get his input. Keep in mind anything you do will have to be acceptable to our SoCal smog stations.

LMB-Z 09-11-2017 07:28 PM

2008 Corvette...LS3...430 hp without NPP (dual mode exhaust), 436 hp with NPP.

No "performance chip" available. That went out in the 90's.

You can have it "tuned" by someone with a computer and the right software/program, and knows what they are doing.

Adding bolt-on's will help with hp, but not to the extent the manufacturers say. For instance, a CAI will not add 25 hp.

Look inside the glove compartment for a list of option codes your car has. You can look those codes up on the internet to see what they are.

Congrats on the car. Pics are a must. :thumbs:

Icecap 09-11-2017 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by HBsurfer (Post 1595551820)
If you have not done it already, go to a big, empty parking lot and turn off all of the traction aids and let 'er rip. You may not need as many mods as you think.
If you still want more, find a good local tuner and get his input. Keep in mind anything you do will have to be acceptable to our SoCal smog stations.

:iagree:
Until I acquired our C6 Corvette I hadn't driven a muscle car since I parted company with mine in the early 1980's and replaced it with the family station wagon and a number of Vans. The Corvette scared me a couple of times until I got used to that kind of power again.

As far as a Cold Air Intake goes you can spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks for one and it will gain you about as much performance enhancement as hanging a set of fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror.

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 07:37 PM

Hey Surfer!

I have not, but it sounds like I need to!!!

I sure you are right. Just kinda fun jacking with it and learning more about its performance capabilities.

Been driving the jeep around for the last year, big and slow but fun.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5a9486b3f.jpeg

Now it's been a lot of fun going back and forth to the extreme!

If I do attempt anything with the vette, I'll update the forum with my experience.

Thanks for your reply.

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by LMB-Z (Post 1595551876)
2008 Corvette...LS3...430 hp without NPP (dual mode exhaust), 436 hp with NPP.

No "performance chip" available. That went out in the 90's.

You can have it "tuned" by someone with a computer and the right software/program, and knows what they are doing.

Adding bolt-on's will help with hp, but not to the extent the manufacturers say. For instance, a CAI will not add 25 hp.

Look inside the glove compartment for a list of option codes your car has. You can look those codes up on the internet to see what they are.

Congrats on the car. Pics are a must. :thumbs:

Great info, thank you!

I love it!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...aa6a8097e.jpeg

Take care and thanks for the reply!

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Icecap (Post 1595551880)
:iagree:
Until I acquired our C6 Corvette I hadn't driven a muscle car since I parted company with mine in the early 1980's and replaced it with the family station wagon and a number of Vans. The Corvette scared me a couple of times until I got used to that kind of power again.

As far as a Cold Air Intake goes you can spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks for one and it will gain you about as much performance enhancement as hanging a set of fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror.

Alrighty then...

I'll just stick to the dice :)

BlindSpot 09-11-2017 07:45 PM

Yikes....Don't listen to these guys...just get the chip....

Partydaddy 09-11-2017 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlindSpot (Post 1595551991)
Yikes....Don't listen to these guys...just get the chip....

That's always the challenge. As with any topic, there is conflicting information.

I'm very appreciative and open to learning from everyone on the forum. However, I would like to be efficient with my time and money.

Can you give any examples of what I could investigate?

Thanks for your time.

Ira T 09-11-2017 08:10 PM

I would suggest a Vitesse throttle controller if the drive-by-wire lag bothers you, maybe even if it doesn't!

airforcex 09-11-2017 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=Partydaddy;1595551193]Just picked up a great car!

Looking for comments on wether adding a throttle body and cold air intake to a 2008 c6 with the z51 package would be worth the money?
Also, considering adding a performance chip.

Car runs and sounds great as is... Data shows its at 440 hp

Will the above 3 performance enhancements make a noticeable difference?

The only thing they need is a louder exhaust and a better stereo for when taking a break from the exhaust. :cool:

IMHO the science behind CAI is not really there, but some love them. You're already packing more HP than 95% of every other car. That being said, it becomes an addiction...

RecMech 09-11-2017 08:24 PM

My new owner advice is almost always the same.

1. MGW shifter (if manual, if not see #3). Makes shifting the car way more fun.

2. Cat back exhaust.. Cause it just sounds better.

3. Dyno tune.. Especially if auto. Research local tuners before handing over keys!

4. Sign up for some sort of track time. 1/4, 1/2, 1 mile, autocross, HPDE.. Anything to put the car thru its paces. Then plan on tires, etc to suit your new hobby.

Enjoy!