CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Shift Boot Configuration (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4041569-shift-boot-configuration.html)

65tripleblack 09-12-2017 11:51 AM

Shift Boot Configuration

4 Attachment(s)
Which of these is more "correct". The first one I installed when I restored the car. It has finally begun to tear and I bought a new one, but there is a difference. The new one is heavier gauge rubber, with a molded in "form" at the very bottom of it, which defines a rectangle with rounded corners. The worn out one is thinner gauge rubber, without this molded in shoulder at the very bottom. In the following series of photos, the underside views might better illustrate what I'm talking about.

65GGvert 09-12-2017 11:54 AM

Looks like they may have started out the same, can't tell about thickness from the pictures.

68hemi 09-12-2017 12:48 PM

Just a heads up for you.

I don't know. However, I can tell you that the one all of the suppliers sell for the C1s that I bought recently is so stiff that it pushes the shifter handle out of 4th gear and sometimes 2nd driving down the road. The car has a new Hurst shifter with the aftermarket look-a-like shift handle. We also took the side cover off now that the engine is out and everything looks perfect in the trans. If I loosen the shifter boot from the floor there is no problem. I have been leaving the car in 4th when not driven hoping it will stretch/form to eliminate this but so far no help.:willy:

65tripleblack 09-12-2017 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 68hemi (Post 1595555636)
Just a heads up for you.

I don't know. However, I can tell you that the one all of the suppliers sell for the C1s that I bought recently is so stiff that it pushes the shifter handle out of 4th gear and sometimes 2nd driving down the road. The car has a new Hurst shifter with the aftermarket look-a-like shift handle. We also took the side cover off now that the engine is out and everything looks perfect in the trans. If I loosen the shifter boot from the floor there is no problem. I have been leaving the car in 4th when not driven hoping it will stretch/form to eliminate this but so far no help.:willy:

Wow! Is it pulling on the two bolts on the stem? If so, some guys slit the boot which lets the bolts show (ugly), and relieves the pull on the shifter. Some with C2s put a leather cover over top of the rubber boot which actually looks better than stock setup.

The reason for this thread is because my old, flimsy boot without the bottom crease fit very well over the 5 speed handle 2 stem bolts. It lasted 18 years and the tear in it has nothing to do with the 5 speed shifter that's been in the car for about 5 years now.

Back when I restored the car, I bought a good amount of parts from ZIP. The new one is from LICS, which has always sold me the highest quality and most "Korreckttttt" parts. Maybe I'll give ZIP a call and see if they still sell the flimsy one.

MarkC 09-12-2017 05:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The new one I bought from Zip last week looks just like the top one you have pictured. I slid it down over the shaft from the shifter. I then bolted the shifter handle on so the rubber boot was under the Hurst shifter handle. I then placed the new leather boot over the rubber boot and used a ice pick to push holes in the leather so the oem screws would hold everything down.

65tripleblack 09-13-2017 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MarkC (Post 1595557337)
The new one I bought from Zip last week looks just like the top one you have pictured. I slid it down over the shaft from the shifter. I then bolted the shifter handle on so the rubber boot was under the Hurst shifter handle. I then placed the new leather boot over the rubber boot and used a ice pick to push holes in the leather so the oem screws would hold everything down.

Was following your thread. Your boot looks nice, but if I can find a "flimsy" boot like I bought in 2001, I'd rather use IT alone. If not, I like your setup.

68hemi 09-13-2017 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack (Post 1595556357)
Wow! Is it pulling on the two bolts on the stem? If so, some guys slit the boot which lets the bolts show (ugly), and relieves the pull on the shifter. Some with C2s put a leather cover over top of the rubber boot which actually looks better than stock setup.

The reason for this thread is because my old, flimsy boot without the bottom crease fit very well over the 5 speed handle 2 stem bolts. It lasted 18 years and the tear in it has nothing to do with the 5 speed shifter that's been in the car for about 5 years now.

Back when I restored the car, I bought a good amount of parts from ZIP. The new one is from LICS, which has always sold me the highest quality and most "Korreckttttt" parts. Maybe I'll give ZIP a call and see if they still sell the flimsy one.

No, it is just so stiff in the wrinkles/steps in the boot area around the hole for the shifter it is putting too much pressure on the shifter shaft that it is pulling it out of gear with the slightest road vibration. I think I am going to go to an upholstery shop and have one made of either vinyl or leather.

65tripleblack 09-13-2017 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by 68hemi (Post 1595561735)
No, it is just so stiff in the wrinkles/steps in the boot area around the hole for the shifter it is putting too much pressure on the shifter shaft that it is pulling it out of gear with the slightest road vibration. I think I am going to go to an upholstery shop and have one made of either vinyl or leather.

Good idea. I'd go for it if it's under about $80.00 would be worth it. Custom fit with no need for the rubber boot underneath and a tight fit around the shifter handle to seal out fumes and noise.

$27.00 for the rubber boot plus $50.00 for the leather cover makes a custom piece at 80 bucks very reasonable.:thumbs:

I hope you keep us posted.