CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Incident - Someone following me (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4041808-incident-someone-following-me.html)

vin67 09-12-2017 08:20 PM

Incident - Someone following me

So driving home from an outing, I notice (rear view mirror) a car was making the exact same turns as me. Not necessary tailgating but at a comfortable distance.

Near my residential area I decide to pulled over 3 blocks from my street and see what he does. If he made a U-Turn, then its obvious he was following me. I pulled over maybe half block after passing a 4 way stop sign. At this time he was coming towards the same 4 way stop.

From my rear view mirror I can see him stopped at 4 way stop and noticing me pulled over. However, he sits there for about 7 to 10 seconds and finally continue towards me. He pulled along side and said "Nice car" and continue on about this and that about Corvettes. I played it cordial. He finally drove off and I waited few minutes and then circling my neighborhood to see he's still around. Didn't see him and I finally open my garage and put her away.

I know some might think I'm paranoid but
#1 he has been following me for a while.
#2 why did he sat for 7 to 10 seconds at last 4 way stop sign? Normally anyone would have gone about their way already. 7 second is a long time just sitting there looking towards my direction.
#3 if he wanted to talk cars, he could've easily drive along side me earlier and I would've pulled over.

I don't know . . . things like his makes me nervous.

Anyone have similar encounters?

Priya 09-12-2017 08:27 PM

I've had a couple of people follow me home when I was driving my AMC SX/4. They just wanted to look at it and one to take pictures.

I think the person you encountered was no threat.

Cajun_LS3 09-12-2017 09:06 PM

Hard to say. Could've been innocent, with nothing better to do than admire your ride. Could've been casing you.

Any reason for a P.I. to be following you around?

It's a shame that we have to be so vigilant these days.

I hope all turns out well for you.

Ryan Menzies 09-12-2017 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by vin67 (Post 1595558421)
So driving home from an outing, I notice (rear view mirror) a car was making the exact same turns as me. Not necessary tailgating but at a comfortable distance.

Near my residential area I decide to pulled over 3 blocks from my street and see what he does. If he made a U-Turn, then its obvious he was following me. I pulled over maybe half block after passing a 4 way stop sign. At this time he was coming towards the same 4 way stop.

From my rear view mirror I can see him stopped at 4 way stop and noticing me pulled over. However, he sits there for about 7 to 10 seconds and finally continue towards me. He pulled along side and said "Nice car" and continue on about this and that about Corvettes. I played it cordial. He finally drove off and I waited few minutes and then circling my neighborhood to see he's still around. Didn't see him and I finally open my garage and put her away.

#1 he has been following me for a while.
#2 why did he sat for 7 to 10 seconds at last 4 way stop sign? Normally anyone would have gone about their way already. 7 second is a long time just sitting there looking towards my direction.
#3 if he wanted to talk cars, he could've easily drive along side me earlier and I would've pulled over.

I don't know . . . things like his makes me nervous.

Anyone have similar encounters?

Vi,

IMO it doesn't hurt to be skeptical, and always assume the worst. Maybe it's a shallow way to be or 1 dimensional thinking BUT what if you didn't put the car away and wake up tomorrow with it gone? Didn't hurt or cost you a dime to be cautious. :cheers:

68/BB 09-12-2017 09:43 PM

Being cautious and at least somewhat suspicious is not being paranoid. People need to be aware of their surroundings and watch out for possible threat situations. He may have been following to connect an address to the car, or he may have just wanted a good look at it. I think you handled it right myself. No harm, no foul. This is different scenario but a while back I had been over to my storage unit to drop off or pick up some Vette part. The unit is in not a sketchy neighborhood but blue collar. So as I am driving along this residential area there is a teenage girl walking down the sidewalk headed toward me. I am nearing an intersection and I see this sketchy looking van with a real sketchy driver. He is approaching the intersection perpendicular to me and he is heading from my left to my right. I see him begin staring at the girl, rolls thru the intersection, then stops, never takes his eye off the girl, then backs up and looks like he is going to turn down the street we are on. I slow down so I can keep him in view as long as possible. The girl is not aware of him because he is behind her but she looks nervously at ME because I am slowing down. Anyhow, at that point he looks at me and I give him a good glare, eye to eye. He looks back straight ahead and continues on his way. Did he have nefarious intentions? Who knows, it looked suspicious and we react the best way we know how.

marshal135 09-12-2017 09:46 PM

I'm in law enforcement, probably another goof ball. God knows the quota is full for goof balls out there.

Still never hurts to take the long way home using well populated and lit areas.

Just me but when I grab my c3 keys I grab the Glock too.
I also have Phila on three sides of me.

As Forest Gump says..... Stupid is as stupid does.

Any transaction selling parts or cars should be conducted in a police parking lot. Not in your driveway or remote area. Or if able a nice used car lot.
Be careful folks its sounds like nothing but I see all the nuts out there.
Marshal

7T1vette 09-12-2017 11:22 PM

Could have been 'casing' you to see where you lived...

Could have a Corvette 'fetish'.... :eek:

Could be looking for a Corvette very much like yours and was 'enamored' with it...

Could have just been a weirdo... :crazy:

You did the right thing to be "cautious" and not go home with someone following you. :thumbs:

Rescue Rogers 09-13-2017 06:52 AM

Post this at the end of your driveway

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ca199ec019.jpg

Metalhead140 09-13-2017 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers (Post 1595560241)
Post this at the end of your driveway

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ca199ec019.jpg

Guns and machinery - sounds like a lucrative target to rob!

pigfarmer 09-13-2017 07:09 AM

agreed

Originally Posted by marshal135 (Post 1595559032)
I'm in law enforcement, probably another goof ball. God knows the quota is full for goof balls out there.

Still never hurts to take the long way home using well populated and lit areas.

Just me but when I grab my c3 keys I grab the Glock too.
I also have Phila on three sides of me.

As Forest Gump says..... Stupid is as stupid does.

Any transaction selling parts or cars should be conducted in a police parking lot. Not in your driveway or remote area. Or if able a nice used car lot.
Be careful folks its sounds like nothing but I see all the nuts out there.
Marshal

PPK here

Revi 09-13-2017 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by vin67 (Post 1595558421)

Yes or maybe he thought you were pretty?

BKbroiler 09-13-2017 08:01 AM

No offense, but I think you're paranoid. That's why you don't list a location with your avatar.

The Hot Rod Grille 09-13-2017 09:02 AM

Smith & Wesson........never leave home without it.

CPTCroaker 09-13-2017 10:03 AM

I have had similar situations happen to me in the past and your better safe than sorry. Paranoid or not doesn't matter, because nothing good could come from them knowing where you live. They want to talk about the car, cool, lets talk in this random parking lot. Why take the chance.

540 vette 09-13-2017 10:11 AM

I had a C3 stolen from my driveway. I was doing work in the garage and had to run to Home Depot. I left the car out for 1/2 hour. When i got home it was gone. I live on a block that isn't well traveled. So I think someone took advantage of the situation.
I would have been the same as you. Except I would have gotten his plate number. If he wants your car he has your plate number and knows where you live by now. So pay attention to what you do.

cv67 09-13-2017 11:08 AM

Done the same as you...some guy just probably enjoyed seeing and hearing it thats all.

Guns and machinery - sounds like a lucrative target to rob
:iagree:
people go out of their way to rob homes with guns.,,if youre an owner or in LE you become a big target; had to move 2x due to it...now a 3rd. Lots of wackjobs looking for a reason to take their life out on you.

in the meantime keep the car insured and dont worry about someone heisting it. At the end of the day its a car...just a material thing they come and go

BlowAMouse 09-13-2017 12:21 PM

Better safe than sorry.
When I lived in SoCal, the gang bangers would follow people home / to work that were riding their Harleys. Then steal them out of your garage or work parking lot. Had my Harley stolen out of my works parking lot right in front of security, only had it 5 weeks. When I got the replacement, my riding buddy and I caught people following us home 5 times. We never took the same way home twice and always came in the back way. That’s how we caught them, we saw them and just turned around and headed right for them and they split.

I still carry a firearm when on the Harley or driving the Vette, Still watch my rearview mirrors when traveling home. Just be aware of your surroundings, if someone is following you, pull into a public parking lot and see if they pull up to admire your ride.

Moral, be nice but aware… just my 2 cents

pbigpig 09-13-2017 12:33 PM

I've been working in law enforcement for 23 years now. I'm always paying attention to cars behind me and who drives by my house. Some may call it paranoia, I call it the reality of the world we live in. Just keep a mental note of the car and the face of the individual, if you see him again, it's most likely not a coincidence.

FINWOLF 09-13-2017 03:05 PM

Did you get his tag number

Alex66 09-13-2017 03:15 PM

More and more "Idiots" over here in Germany too... I had People follow me because of my car as they wanted to ask me questions... I dont like that. Unfortunately over here we have very strict gun laws and you are not allowed to carry any Kind of weapon... I wish we could! A bat has to do then... :cheers: