CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   No oil through the oil filter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4042143-no-oil-through-the-oil-filter.html)

BB72 09-13-2017 05:35 PM

No oil through the oil filter

I have a 496 that I had the bottom end built and the top end by me. I was changing the oil pan for clearance for the steering linkage and found out the oil filter had not a lick of oil through it. It did about ten dyno runs with no issues. Any clues as to why? I missed something for sure.

BlackC3vette 09-13-2017 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BB72 (Post 1595564020)
I have a 496 that I had the bottom end built and the top end by me. I was changing the oil pan for clearance for the steering linkage and found out the oil filter had not a lick of oil through it. It did about ten dyno runs with no issues. Any clues as to why? I missed something for sure.

Sounds like the oil bypass was stuck open, not allowing oil to pass thru the filter. Did you check or replace that bypass adapter when the engine was built?

7T1vette 09-14-2017 12:29 AM

The bypass in the oil filter opens if the differential pressure across the filter is too high. Do you have a high pressure/high flow oil pump? You need to research which oil filter brands/types are compatible with your oil pump.

You can put another filter on it to test that theory, but I would bet that the next filter (same brand/type as the last one) will do the same thing. It is still probably a good test to run.

If that is the problem, the filters you are using are NOT filtering the oil!! They are merely bypassing it.

Fingers crossed...it was just a bad filter. [Was it a FRAM?]

427Hotrod 09-14-2017 12:48 AM

Is this a Mark IV or Gen5 block?

JIM

BB72 09-14-2017 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod (Post 1595566204)
Is this a Mark IV or Gen5 block?

JIM

It is a IV Jim.

427Hotrod 09-14-2017 05:24 PM

The oil goes right from the cap to the filter...have you tried probing the feed hole?

Filter was bone dry?

What sort of oil filter adapter/by pass is on it?

The rear main would get fed....not much else...

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/BBCoilingCustom.jpg

JIM

BB72 09-14-2017 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod (Post 1595570621)
The oil goes right from the cap to the filter...have you tried probing the feed hole?

Filter was bone dry?

What sort of oil filter adapter/by pass is on it?

The rear main would get fed....not much else...

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/BBCoilingCustom.jpg

JIM

Yup, I could send a pic of a bone dry filter but trust me. The input to the filter was also dry. The thing is there's oil everywhere, you remember the pulls on the dyno, you don't get that with no oil. I'll check in the morning if the previous owner bypassed that.

BB72 09-14-2017 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BB72 (Post 1595571332)
Yup, I could send a pic of a bone dry filter but trust me. The input to the filter was also dry. The thing is there's oil everywhere, you remember the pulls on the dyno, you don't get that with no oil. I'll check in the morning if the previous owner bypassed that.

Thanks for the pics Jim, they really help.

427Hotrod 09-15-2017 12:16 AM

Gotta be something with the adapter that's routing oil internally and bypassing filter. It doesn't have one of those add on oil cooler adapters or anything does it?

The oil should enter the filter in the "little" holes and come out of it through the center back to the engine. So somehow it's getting from that diagonal hole from the pump/cap directly to the filter outlet path.... without going through the filter. Would be weird......maybe aftermarket adapter with a hole that must be installed in correct position?

Pics would be good.

JIM

PAmotorman 09-15-2017 12:55 PM

does it have a spring loaded check valve in the block inside the oil filter area ??

SteveG75 09-15-2017 01:57 PM

You can buy oil filter adapters that don't have the bypass. Just change the filter regularly.

PAmotorman 09-15-2017 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by PAmotorman (Post 1595575351)
does it have a spring loaded check valve in the block inside the oil filter area ??

I thought it was a mark V sorry

BB72 09-15-2017 04:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod (Post 1595572965)
Gotta be something with the adapter that's routing oil internally and bypassing filter. It doesn't have one of those add on oil cooler adapters or anything does it?

The oil should enter the filter in the "little" holes and come out of it through the center back to the engine. So somehow it's getting from that diagonal hole from the pump/cap directly to the filter outlet path.... without going through the filter. Would be weird......maybe aftermarket adapter with a hole that must be installed in correct position?

Pics would be good.

JIM

Ok, here's some pics. I'll never buy another Fram filter, you wouldn't believe the dirt and dust inside this brand new filter. Imagine that getting into your motor. The picture of the block is not wiped down at all. That's exactly how I saw it when I took it off, there's no oil even getting to the filter.

Jebbysan 09-15-2017 07:05 PM

I just do not see how that is possible.......like Jim said it goes straight through the rear main cap and across to the filter boss.......
I would get a bucket of oil and submerge the pump while a helper spins the shaft with a primer/drill.......and investigate if what you are seeing is really what you are seeing.......I believe you when you say it is dry, but sometimes what things seem are not what they seem.......at least you can verify oil flow.

BTW.....OEM style Fram filters are garbage I agree.....but the HP series is not even made by them.....and I recommend them highly as it has the highest flow of any other filter.....I also block the spring loaded bypass off with a 1/4" pipe plug........

It takes exactly one second of oil loss at 6000 RPM to cook a bearing.....you are getting oil from somewhere....maybe the oil fairy :D:rofl:

Let us know what you find.....

Jebby

BB72 09-16-2017 08:36 AM

I think I may have figured it out. What if the shop cut open the filter used on the dyno to check for metal and put a new filter on the motor.

Jebbysan 09-16-2017 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by BB72 (Post 1595579524)
I think I may have figured it out. What if the shop cut open the filter used on the dyno to check for metal and put a new filter on the motor.

Yep....that is what we did after a few pulls....new Filter and drain oil as you usually ship engines sans oil to save money.

Jebby

HeadsU.P. 09-16-2017 08:52 AM

What does a "Anti-Drainback Valve" do? I see some brands list that as a option on their filters. H-m-m-m-m-m-m. I wonder if . . . . . Nahhhh.

GOSFAST 09-16-2017 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BB72 (Post 1595576672)
Ok, here's some pics. I'll never buy another Fram filter, you wouldn't believe the dirt and dust inside this brand new filter. Imagine that getting into your motor. The picture of the block is not wiped down at all. That's exactly how I saw it when I took it off, there's no oil even getting to the filter.

Based on what I see at the rear section of that rear main shell (with minor scuffing) I suspect a balance issue at the rear section of the crank. Not in the engine but outside!!

May be a flywheel, flex-plate, or convertor issue, but have seen that "look" over the years. One specific build we got into had an "out-of-balance" convertor.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. With respect to the bad "rap" about Fram filters, we haven't had a single issue/complaint and we use them on almost every dynoed piece we do! Once off the dyno we don't care what filter the customer chooses, it's up to them??

lionelhutz 09-16-2017 10:02 AM

That's the only thing that would make sense. Oil must reach the filter on a stock setup if their is oil being pumped throughout the engine.

I wouldn't use the cheap Fram filter, but the high mileage and synthetic versions of their filters are a quality build. I haven't seen the inside of the HP series but it could easily be a quality build too.

71VetteLover 09-16-2017 10:50 AM

Forgot To Install The Oil Pump Drive Shaft?

I would guess you forgot to install the oil pump drive shaft when you assembled the short block.