CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Another harness/connector question (1969) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4042193-another-harness-connector-question-1969-a.html)

A C 09-13-2017 08:33 PM

Another harness/connector question (1969)

1 Attachment(s)
I am about done with an engine install and am ready to start the car for the first time, but I have no idea what this harness serves. It is powered with the key on, but not with it off. It comes out of the main engine harness somewhere in the vicinity of the wiper motor, but the wires are pretty long, so they could go to a number of places. I couldn't find it on the wire diagram so any help would be appreciated.

TimAT 09-13-2017 08:51 PM

I just replaced the harness on my 69. I don't recall anything with a pink and yellow. I looked at 2 different diagrams and no luck there either. Only thing even close is the backup lights with a manual trans and the colors are wrong for that. Backup switch is Pink and Light Green. Sorry, not much help..

san 09-13-2017 10:36 PM

Two diagrams and no info....?? Pink wires are power wires/switched usually....cruise control?? I cant recall all but wiper/alternator/backup/and cruise all use a pink lead under the hood. Been tracing all mine, a 78, and thinking it must be one of those....???

TimAT 09-13-2017 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by san (Post 1595565621)
Two diagrams and no info....?? Pink wires are power wires/switched usually....cruise control?? I cant recall all but wiper/alternator/backup/and cruise all use a pink lead under the hood. Been tracing all mine, a 78, and thinking it must be one of those....???

There are 69 wire diagrams all over the internet. I looked at 2 that I have in my files. Nowhere can I find a RPO (regular production option) for cruise control for 1969 Corvette.
The original poster has a picture with that shows the wiper/washer systems plugged in.
The new harness I just installed from Lectric Limited had no pink wires going to the alternator. 2 red, 1 brown, 1 black. :cheers:

CanadaGrant 09-14-2017 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by TimAT (Post 1595565892)
There are 69 wire diagrams all over the internet. I looked at 2 that I have in my files. Nowhere can I find a RPO (regular production option) for cruise control for 1969 Corvette.
The original poster has a picture with that shows the wiper/washer systems plugged in.
The new harness I just installed from Lectric Limited had no pink wires going to the alternator. 2 red, 1 brown, 1 black. :cheers:

:iagree: There is no pink and yellow combined wires with a white plug anywhere on a 69 engine harness. I noticed you don't have a stock distributor or a coil in the stock location so was it wired for some sort of electronic ignition? No idea other than that.

Easy Mike 09-14-2017 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by TimAT (Post 1595565892)
...Nowhere can I find a RPO (regular production option) for cruise control for 1969 Corvette...

FWIW: no factory cruise until 77.

A C 09-14-2017 07:13 AM

I think I may know what it is. This car had a GM HEI at one point. I wonder if it was added to plug into the HEI? The connector kinda looks like one that would plug in.

san 09-14-2017 09:12 AM

Hei usually have seperated plugs, like one plug for tach, one plug for power, but its possible that there may have been a second plug that plugged into that whoxh seperated the wires. There are alot of possibilities what it could be, it could even be for a light under the hood. I stated what gm uses those color wires for. Something else to keep in mind, although i have wiring diagrams for my 78, produced by lectric, not EVERY SINGLE color code is exact. On some models although the factory color of a certain wire is suppose to be specific, sometimes you can find two identicle years that will have a color difference. It is also possible that someone changed/modified the harness, or added to it, and made it look so good that you think its factory.

​​​​​​​It does look like the power lead for the hei....are both wires going to a single plug?? I have seen hei power plug with two wires before....i believe it was an additional white wire, cant be sure, but it wasnt a corvette, it was 20 or more years ago and i think it was a gm truck.

san 09-14-2017 10:03 AM

Its kind of in a weird place for it but is it the washer fluid pump plug??

lionelhutz 09-14-2017 11:28 AM

Take a picture of the connector face so we can see what the terminals it connects to would look like.

Did you follow it and see if it attaches to different wires in the stock harness.

Considering about where the wires appear to start, could it be a tacked-on harness for a universal windshield washer pump?

Car wired for nitrous-oxide at one time? Could have been the activation switch.

Could it be a new harness for an aftermarket TH400 kickdown switch?