CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Are the surviving cars now more valuable (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4042320-are-the-surviving-cars-now-more-valuable.html)

woodsdesign 09-14-2017 08:01 AM

Are the surviving cars now more valuable

So, I can't help but wondering that, because of the storms, there are significantly fewer classic cars, including old Corvettes. Does that mean that the cars that remain are more valuable ? Because there are less of them, Making them rarer.

65hihp 09-14-2017 08:07 AM

Exactly right!
Here I thought the stories of the hurricanes and all the poor people affected was all bad news.
Our portfolios just jumped!
Thank you for pointing that out.

Jackfit 09-14-2017 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 65hihp (Post 1595566869)
Exactly right!
Here I thought the stories of the hurricanes and all the poor people affected was all bad news.
Our portfolios just jumped!
Thank you for pointing that out.

Hi, up early are you? must be life in the SE........fall coming...good driving weather....I stopped on my way to work this morning..

Jack

65hihp 09-14-2017 08:11 AM

You work!?

yes, living in the east is marvelous.

And I'm finding lots of great threads here this morning to add brilliant insight to.

Jackfit 09-14-2017 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 65hihp (Post 1595566885)
You work!?

yes, living in the east is marvelous.

And I'm finding lots of great threads here this morning to add brilliant insight to.

Are both of your cars with you ?......I could not make Carlisle this year...too close to traffic on Labor day weekend ....and I had to be home..no fun in traffic....

Next year....I shall return.....and may also go on a trip south late fall...

Hope to be back on the long road again...

Jack

Duck916 09-14-2017 08:46 AM

Not really something to care about while so many people are still unable to get to their homes and so many more are dealing with unspeakable losses.

That said, while there undoubtedly will be some losses of classic cars, I doubt that the number lost will be significant to the market and I highly doubt that 10 years from now you will be able to detect any sort of price spike in late 2017.

jrs 427 09-14-2017 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by woodsdesign (Post 1595566843)
So, I can't help but wondering that, because of the storms, there are significantly fewer classic cars, including old Corvettes. Does that mean that the cars that remain are more valuable ? Because there are less of them, Making them rarer.

Another day dream believer. Families without homes and you want to add value to a dust collector. How fitting !

Jackfit 09-14-2017 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jrs 427 (Post 1595567111)
Another day dream believer. Families without homes and you want to add value to a dust collector. How fitting !

Ok ...lets not get too harsh....it was more of an intellectual question..we all know how much it hurts...to lose your house or possessions in a situation out of your control...

Jack

GTOguy 09-14-2017 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by jrs 427 (Post 1595567111)

I'm sure he's a racist, as well. :willy:

cv67 09-14-2017 10:50 AM

Not a home, so no. Has to be a big demand and short supply to drive prices up, lots of these sitting around for sale at all times

Some guy was asking this about his C7 yesterday :willy:

scopeli 09-14-2017 11:02 AM

How do you figure that there will be any less C1s or C2s then before the storm. If they existed this long, they will still survive and almost all will be restored. I bet there will be others that had not seen daylight for years that will now reappear. I believe I will be able to see more of nearly every year reappear. The people who sell parts and restore cars will be the ones who benefit the most.

vettebuyer6369 09-14-2017 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by scopeli (Post 1595567893)
How do you figure that there will be any less C1s or C2s then before the storm. If they existed this long, they will still survive and almost all will be restored. I bet there will be others that had not seen daylight for years that will now reappear. I believe I will be able to see more of nearly every year reappear. The people who sell parts and restore cars will be the ones who benefit the most.

:iagree:

I would have to guess that the majority of nicer C1/2 cars in danger would have been moved to higher ground or otherwise protected. There was a lot of lead time and warning for the weather.

On the flip side, it wouldn't shock me to hear that some lesser cars would have been left vulnerable on purpose in order to get a payoff or a free resto.

I don't see the market changing at all.

wsaugenstein 09-18-2017 07:08 PM

When our house was flooded by Hurricane Sandy in NJ, I moved the Vettes as soon as I saw the writing on the wall. They would have been submarines.

And no, I didn't take offense to the OP's question or think it offensive.

woodsdesign 09-18-2017 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369 (Post 1595569184)
:iagree:

I would have to guess that the majority of nicer C1/2 cars in danger would have been moved to higher ground or otherwise protected. There was a lot of lead time and warning for the weather.

On the flip side, it wouldn't shock me to hear that some lesser cars would have been left vulnerable on purpose in order to get a payoff or a free resto.

I don't see the market changing at all.

I would agree. That is what I would do.
But I was reading a post where a forum member was talking about putting his car on jack stands before evacuating. That is what got me thinking about it.

USMC 0802 09-18-2017 09:11 PM

I'm here in Tampa and am not remotely offended. Power came back on Wednesday night.

Then again, I have better things to do than feign righteous concern and bitch about people asking about Corvette values...

SI67 09-18-2017 10:21 PM

The Goldfinger effect?

nutt 09-19-2017 10:54 AM

Intellect has NOTHING to do with it. We all have these thoughts, but most of us know perfectly well when to shut the hell up. Some don't.

woodsdesign 09-19-2017 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by nutt (Post 1595597946)
Intellect has NOTHING to do with it. We all have these thoughts, but most of us know perfectly well when to shut the hell up. Some don't.

Ya, you are right. I did not mean it to offend anyone. It was just a thought that I apparently should have kept to myself.

After38Years 09-19-2017 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by woodsdesign (Post 1595599062)
Ya, you are right. I did not mean it to offend anyone. It was just a thought that I apparently should have kept to myself.

The Spirit of Offense shows up on almost every thread....