CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   HEI Distributor (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4043359-hei-distributor.html)

truckerlary 09-16-2017 05:48 PM

HEI Distributor

This might be a simple fix but so far I haven't been able to figure it out. What is happening is that somewhere in the distributor I am loosing power for short spurts at a time. It has to be internal as the power wire is staying hot when it dies. The reason I know it is loosing power the tach drops instantly to 0 when it starts to die. I changed the cap and the coil but it didn't help the problem. Any ideas to help me fix this gremlin? Distributors are not my expertise. This is a stock GM HEI. Thanks Larry

71VetteLover 09-16-2017 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by truckerlary (Post 1595582339)
This might be a simple fix but so far I haven't been able to figure it out. What is happening is that somewhere in the distributor I am loosing power for short spurts at a time. It has to be internal as the power wire is staying hot when it dies. The reason I know it is loosing power the tach drops instantly to 0 when it starts to die. I changed the cap and the coil but it didn't help the problem. Any ideas to help me fix this gremlin? Distributors are not my expertise. This is a stock GM HEI. Thanks Larry

The module has a short ground wire so make sure it's in good condition and is screwed down tight. I bought a new Proform HEI about 6 years ago and found the ground wire's ring terminal was crimped around the wire's insulation rather than the copper wire itself so it wasn't making contact. I re-crimped it and then soldered it and that solved the problem. I seem to recall the coil's ground is thru that same wire.

HeadsU.P. 09-16-2017 06:10 PM

First, when you put the new coil in, do you notice the black paint-like coating on the frame of the coil? As you saw, one ground wire goes to that coils frame on one corner with a screw attachment. Remove the screw, terminal wire & washer and wire brush that spot until the frame is shiney. Now you have a excellent grd.

How old is the Module? They usually crap-out when heat is involved but work fine when cool. The heat of the engine breaks (opens) the circuits inside the Modge, engine dies. Hence the reason for applying heatsink compound underneath the unit.

san 09-16-2017 06:16 PM

Coil or hei module...i would suspect module first. For 10 to 20 bucks it doesnt hurt to have a spare!!!

Coils can do the exact same thing as well....but usually no immediate zero effect of tach. That would likely be module loosing connection or failing.

truckerlary 09-16-2017 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by san (Post 1595582527)
Coil or hei module...i would suspect module first. For 10 to 20 bucks it doesnt hurt to have a spare!!!

Coils can do the exact same thing as well....but usually no immediate zero effect of tach. That would likely be module loosing connection or failing.

Like I said I installed new coil and it immediately done the same thing. Thinking it about has to be condenser or module. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Big2Bird 09-16-2017 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by truckerlary (Post 1595583006)
Like I said I installed new coil and it immediately done the same thing. Thinking it about has to be condenser or module. Thanks all for your suggestions.

99% of the time it's the module, after checking for loose wiring.

The13Bats 09-16-2017 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Big2Bird (Post 1595583055)
99% of the time it's the module, after checking for loose wiring.

Ive had more than one hei dizzy do this and it be the module,