CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 GS finishes 7th in Motor Trends "Best Driver's Car" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4044336-c7-gs-finishes-7th-in-motor-trends-best-drivers-car.html)

PITA 09-19-2017 09:51 AM

C7 GS finishes 7th in Motor Trends "Best Driver's Car"

Understanding it only means as much as the schmucks reviewing them, but the GS did a little worse than I expected:
12th Aston Martin DB11
11th Nissan GT-R NISMO
10th Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Club
9th McLaren 570GT
8th Lexus LC 500
7th Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
6th Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
5th Mercedes-AMG GT R

Finishing ahead but still to be revealed:
Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Ferrari 488 GTB
Porsche 718 Cayman S
Porsche 911 Turbo S

I would have expected the 570GT to finish higher up, otherwise rating the Alfa and the Cayman ahead of the GS? Please! MT's positive bias towards Porsche is becoming legendary.

As for the Camaro - great bang for the buck for sure, but as a car, with that greenhouse / sitting in a bathtub feeling - that alone ruins it for me.

Otherwise, still a respectable finish overall.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevr...t-drivers-car/

Ernest_T 09-19-2017 10:02 AM

Any list like this is really subjective. There are days when I think a Miata would be a hoot and other days when I think a Challenger would be a great ride. The C7 provides the best of both worlds--a sports car with muscle car power.

Jimbob26 09-19-2017 10:35 AM

How did the Alfa finish ahead of the Corvette? I am surprised it even finished given the stellar reliability of Alfas...

LoganExplosion 09-19-2017 10:48 AM

Guess none of you guys told them that the Z06 is "the same thing but more power, peasant":confused2:

red62vette 09-19-2017 10:53 AM

Dunno, it's in some pretty good company. I wouldn't put the Camaro or the 718 ahead of it, but the Turbo S and Ferrari are stellar cars. They also rate it better than the Aston and the McLaren. As for the Alfa, they aren't ranking reliability. The Alfa is a great car. I love them but just wouldn't want to rely on it.

PITA 09-19-2017 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion (Post 1595597898)
Guess none of you guys told them that the Z06 is "the same thing but more power, peasant":confused2:

They tested the Z06 at the same test in 2015 but it was a DNF, so best not to mention it.

thill444 09-19-2017 11:06 AM

It's pretty rare for a car in it's fifth production year to win best drivers car. They usually vote for the latest and greatest.

I think the Camaro has a real shot at being in the top 2. They love Porsche so my bet is 911 or Cayman S will finish first. I am not sure they will love the new 4 cylinder in the Cayman so I think the 911 will win. But it's not really new either.. So maybe Cayman S?

Corgidog1 09-19-2017 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbob26 (Post 1595597792)
How did the Alfa finish ahead of the Corvette? I am surprised it even finished given the stellar reliability of Alfas...

Good line.

Maxpowers 09-19-2017 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by thill444 (Post 1595598031)
It's pretty rare for a car in it's fifth production year to win best drivers car. They usually vote for the latest and greatest.

Yup - that's what pays the bills!

spireland 09-19-2017 12:25 PM

The Cayman is the one that surprised me. Before I bought my Vette last year I drove a lot of cars as I wasn't sure what I wanted. The Cayman S did nothing for me. It felt like it had no soul. I did like it, but didn't love it. Didn't drive any other cars except an SS Camaro on that list, but the Corvette was what grabbed me.

As pointed out, most of those are very new cars. It's amazing the GS is even in the running. These magazines love the new.

thill444 09-19-2017 12:27 PM

Something that stands out to me. I have noticed a tendency for car manufacturers to make cars too stiff. I have experienced this with several cars I test drove and owned recently and Randy Pobst really seems to hit on it. I think many cars these days are being overdampened and I am not sure why. Do they think it is more sporty feeling?? Here are Pobst's comments from the Grand Sport MT best drivers write-up:
RANDY SAYS

“I was pissed at the car in Track mode because it wasn’t taking power, wasn’t putting power down, and bumps were moving the rear around. So many times Corvettes to me feel like they have a hinge in the middle, like the front sticks, and the rear doesn’t. Snap oversteer everywhere. It was super snappy on entry. The steering is very fast, and a little bit on the numb side. This is a long time Corvette personality trait. Since ’84, when you crack the wheel, it turns—big time. The front’s just better than the back, and it has been for about 33 years.

“It’s a whole different car in Sport mode. It’s like a big Miata. It was just a completely different car. The hinge was gone. I almost never broke the rear loose at all. It was a big pussycat. Very easy to go fast with it, and the power never challenged the chassis at all. It didn’t feel soft; it just felt right. I must have gone way faster. It was one-tenth the effort. It could use another 100 horsepower.

“The braking is really incredibly good. I think it really is better than every other car here. I couldn’t believe how deep I could go. Corvette has the brakes figured out.”

Zo62018A8 09-19-2017 01:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was surprised at the Lexus LC coming in at 7th place. Considering how good of a deal I can get on one its tempting to just lease one instead of buying a z06.

bapd77 09-19-2017 02:23 PM

Opinions vary.....

These are only opinions. Anyone could post a top 10, top 20 etc and very few would agree with them in the same order. Who cares what someone's opinion is?

C7DriverOnt 09-19-2017 03:10 PM

Couldn't drive that Lexus, that front end reminds me of a whale feeding... I was looking for a new SUV and considered Lexus until they changed the grill.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...af67bb4e28.jpg

pkincy 09-19-2017 03:25 PM

While I certainly respect what Chevrolet has done with the Camaro and the ZL1, the ZL1 1LE is a bit like the ACR, a purpose built track machine and is not something I would want to drive on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I have built track focused Corvettes and Camaros before but as they get better and faster for the track they get worse for the street. Than when you have them just perfect for the track they are simply unlivable on the street.

In fact I have a DDer that is sporty but leans toward the utilitarian and comfortable and only drive the Z on weekends. I think something like the ACR and the ZL1 1LE and the upcoming big wing ZR1 are for people that have at least 4 cars. A wife's DDer, their DDer, A fun GT weekend car, and a track car. Most of my working career I have had 6-7 cars and that does allow for some focus existing in each car. But any time there is a "Best" competition you need to get the design basis and criteria nailed down and these magazines never do that. Is the criteria, fastest lap time?, most fun on the track?, most fun on the Angeles Hiway or Tail of the Dragon?, or most fun on the 405 at 6 pm on a Friday heading to Laguna for the weekend? Very different criteria and no single car would win once those criteria are combined.

buckeye4 09-19-2017 03:28 PM

Who cares? It's your vote that counts.

2cnd Chance 09-19-2017 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by thill444 (Post 1595598587)
Something that stands out to me. I have noticed a tendency for car manufacturers to make cars too stiff. I have experienced this with several cars I test drove and owned recently and Randy Pobst really seems to hit on it. I think many cars these days are being overdampened and I am not sure why. Do they think it is more sporty feeling?? Here are Pobst's comments from the Grand Sport MT best drivers write-up:
RANDY SAYS

The issue with that is finishing near the top is the ZL1/1LE which is about as stiff as stiff can be and still be a car for the street. The bushings are not rubber as in most cars IIRC they are aluminum. the DSSV dampers are not forgiving at all, they are built purely for the track. What I'm seeing here is MT's inconsistencies. :crazy2:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...911-carrera-s/

If you read/watch this "highly glowing" Grand Sport review it's as though they are testing a different car based on the comments from the "Best Drivers Car" review??

Being they're so inconsistent the question is why? Is it the "new car thing" as some have mentioned? Was the grip down due to it being driven early in the day (as mentioned in another thread) on Laguna Seca when it was 50* and balmy? I'm not getting it?? :crazy:

sal14m 09-19-2017 04:16 PM

What I have been saying all along, another +100hp (bring it to around 550hp) for the Grandsport and this car would be unbeatable!!!

rob62 09-19-2017 04:26 PM

What is a "drivers car" supposed to mean ? Ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers.

Robert R1 09-19-2017 04:28 PM

I'm more surprised it's down 1.8 seconds on C6 Z07. You'd think chassis refinement, better tires, newer gen mag suspension and so forth would bring it close. Must be the extra weight and being down 50hp.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988