CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Ear plugs (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4046670-ear-plugs.html)

koranke 09-24-2017 11:54 PM

Ear plugs

I've seen plenty of threads about noise when driving at highway speeds and things like adding sound deadening material, but I've never seen anyone mention earplugs. I used to do a lot of motorcycle riding and wearing earplugs was standard procedure, especially when going on longer rides. It transformed the experience. A long day of riding with the howl of wind in your ears leaves you fatigued.

My 2017 GS is a real howler on the freeway, especially on concrete. Even more of an auditory onslaught if I want to cruise with the windows down or the top off. Wearing a comfortable pair of earplugs does wonders on longer trips. Just got back from a 2.5 day run that included a lot of high speed freeway time. Got to enjoy it with the windows down and my tunes blasting in total comfort for my ears. Highly recommend it.

Silver&Blue 09-25-2017 12:03 AM

What about using the radio?

koranke 09-25-2017 12:05 AM

Just turn up the volume. You loose some of the high-end, of course, but you get to really feel the bass, literally.

sTz 09-25-2017 12:56 AM

If your GS is "howler" that loud that you need ear plugs, then you might want to get a quieter vehicle.

jdhommert 09-25-2017 01:04 AM

If you need to wear ear plugs to drive a stock GS coupe with the windows up on a normal highway, then you either bought the wrong car, or you are driving the wrong car.

Dif 09-25-2017 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by koranke (Post 1595635216)
I've seen plenty of threads about noise when driving at highway speeds and things like adding sound deadening material, but I've never seen anyone mention earplugs. I used to do a lot of motorcycle riding and wearing earplugs was standard procedure, especially when going on longer rides. It transformed the experience. A long day of riding with the howl of wind in your ears leaves you fatigued.

My 2017 GS is a real howler on the freeway, especially on concrete. Even more of an auditory onslaught if I want to cruise with the windows down or the top off. Wearing a comfortable pair of earplugs does wonders on longer trips. Just got back from a 2.5 day run that included a lot of high speed freeway time. Got to enjoy it with the windows down and my tunes blasting in total comfort for my ears. Highly recommend it.

Yeah, cement roads are the worst :(

Check out these .. www.earpeace.com
I bought the HD ones. Pack of 3 and bought 2 packs so have 3 sets.

They have a hollow cylinder in the center of the earplug to let some sound in but still block out anything too loud.
Also come with 2 "different" center pieces for more or less sound.
Used by Musicians and Motorcyclists etc

I've used them a few times on long trips.
:cheers:

koranke 09-25-2017 09:38 AM

Regarding the "wrong car" comments, it's a question of comfort rather than need. For example, have you ever thought to use ear plugs on a commercial flight? Not something most people would think to do. They don't recognize the noise. But if you ever try it, you quickly realize just how loud it really is inside a plane. I didn't think to use earplugs when driving the GS until I saw a fellow sports car enthusiast using them in his Elise. I certainly don't need them, but it makes for a more pleasant cruise on those long stretches.

VistaVette 09-25-2017 10:00 AM

As a touring motorcyclist (100,000 miles in the last 8 years) I wear ear plugs on almost all my motorcycle rides, it's a huge help and drastically changes the comfort of my ride and how I feel that night. I do use them on airplanes as well. I do not however wear them in my Corvette, but I've considered doing so for freeway jaunts with the top down as it does get loud. One of the things I like about the Vette compared to my motorcycle is that I don't have to wear gear, so typically if it's too loud I just put the top up.

petepd 09-25-2017 11:29 AM

Can't speak for the other states, but in Maryland you're looking at a substantial ticket.

JerryU 09-25-2017 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Silver&Blue (Post 1595635239)
What about using the radio?

Originally Posted by koranke (Post 1595635246)
Just turn up the volume. You loose some of the high-end, of course, but you get to really feed the bass, literally.

:iagree: My 2014 Z51 was about like my Grand Sport-noisy! No problem as I bought it for performance.

The sound system turns on automatically when I start the car. Gave up on XM or the radio. Have a flush mounted thumb drive with over 1000 songs that plays in shuffle mode. No back side of records etc

Janice Joplin singing "Cry Baby" covers road and tire noise! :lol:

Granted on some pavement louder than others. A push of the buttons on the right of the steering wheel controls volume. The buttons on the left side let me repeat or skip a song. Don't have to take my eyes off the road!

madrob2020 09-25-2017 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by petepd (Post 1595637203)
Can't speak for the other states, but in Maryland you're looking at a substantial ticket.

OH NO! The dreaded "EAR PATROL", random checkpoints like for drunks!:rofl:

red62vette 09-25-2017 12:03 PM

I have a big-block Cobra replica with side pipes. It is actually a very comfortable car, except for the noise, so I wear earplugs and have my kids do the same. You are right - it does transform the experience. I have a box of 250 pair of disposable Howard Leight foam earplugs, and they are very good. I may start to wear them in the GS if I plan to take the top off, and just keep a few pair in the car. Good idea.

yeller z06 09-25-2017 12:03 PM

I too am a former motorcycle rider, and when I started riding again at around 30, I started wearing earplugs all the time.

Like the OP, I wear them in the plane, sometimes at the gym and in the car (depending on the car, natch). I also have some sound isolating in-ear monitors for my music, which I use on long trips in sports cars. Technically they (and ear plugs) are illegal, since I can't hear sirens, but I'm driving a red sports car, who would notice me?

laserdude2215 09-25-2017 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by petepd (Post 1595637203)

California, too.

Rebel Yell 09-25-2017 12:35 PM

I understand the problem, but can you still hear an emergency vehicle on a call?

Kevin A Jones 09-25-2017 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by sTz (Post 1595635351)
If your GS is "howler" that loud that you need ear plugs, then you might want to get a quieter vehicle.

:iagree:
Kind of reminds of the old saying "if you can't put up with the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Originally Posted by VistaVette (Post 1595636570)
As a touring motorcyclist (100,000 miles in the last 8 years) I wear ear plugs on almost all my motorcycle rides, it a huge help and drastically changes the comfort of my ride and how I feel that night. I do use them on airplanes as well. I do not however wear them in my Corvette, but I've considered doing so for freeway jaunts with the top down as it does get loud. One of the things I like about the Vette compared to my motorcycle is that I don't have to wear gear, so typically if it's too loud I just put the top up.

I never drive a bike with ear plugs, as even as loud as some are, being able to hear what's going on around you can be the different between avoiding a crash and not.

I will wear them sometimes on a plane, but then I'm not driving.

VistaVette 09-25-2017 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones (Post 1595637856)
:iagree:
Kind of reminds of the old saying "if you can't put up with the heat, get out of the kitchen."

I never drive a bike with ear plugs, as even as loud as some are, being able to hear what's going on around you can be the different between avoiding a crash and not.

I will wear them sometimes on a plane, but then I'm not driving.

Ear plugs don't render you deaf, they reduce the overall volume. Riding long miles without them however will cause permanent hearing damage and loss.

LimaCharlie 09-25-2017 01:31 PM

I wear electronic earplugs when I am the Range Safety Officer/Instructor with twelve rifles going off randomly around me. I would never wear earplugs driving my Corvette C-6 convertible or on a motorcycle.

red62vette 09-25-2017 02:33 PM

When I am wearing earplugs in my Cobra, I can still even hear the stereo and I can definitely hear emergency vehicles. I’m just trying to minimize hearing damage. I don’t need any more.

Gearhead Jim 09-25-2017 09:47 PM

Our various Corvettes have never been loud enough in normal driving that I felt like using ear plugs, though I won't knock people who use them.

But with the top removed and traveling at highway speeds, I use them every time. It's not the wind buffeting that tires me out, but the noise. I keep a set in the center console.