CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Value of a 1985 Corvette With 12K Miles 4 Speed (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4050497-value-of-a-1985-corvette-with-12k-miles-4-speed.html)

DTGJASON 10-04-2017 02:18 PM

Value of a 1985 Corvette With 12K Miles 4 Speed

Looked at a Blue 1985 C4...Dead Stock....4+3 Tranny....both tops....interior is perfect.....they want 11k from a private seller....what do you think the car is worth? hard for me to find a value b/c of the miles being so low. Any thoughts? Thanks Jason

biggiefl 10-04-2017 02:38 PM

Personally I would look at a low mileage LT1 for s few grand more that has 300hp and a great transmission. If looking for a 1985, not many will come your way like this one.

81c3 10-04-2017 02:38 PM

What you need to do is figure out what the car will need immediately. Tires maybe? Fluids changed? How are the rubber parts, brake hoses weather strip seals etc? Then, subtract that from the asking price. IMHO, 11k is close to a fair price for such low miles and having a manual transmission. Obviously, a good policy is to always try to get the car for less than asking price. Like i said, anything not working or needing replacement is a bargaining chip for you.... Another thing would be, how the car is optioned. Is it a Z51 car?, 2 tops? etc. In a perfect world, $9,000. would be a nice deal on the car. :cheers:

3798j 10-04-2017 02:41 PM

Hagerty... on a #2 excellent '85 Corvette = $11,400. Valuation coming from a "what to insure one for" point of view.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...rolet-Corvette

DTGJASON 10-04-2017 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 81c3 (Post 1595699731)
What you need to do is figure out what the car will need immediately. Tires maybe? Fluids changed? How are the rubber parts, brake hoses weather strip seals etc? Then, subtract that from the asking price. IMHO, 11k is close to a fair price for such low miles and having a manual transmission. Obviously, a good policy is to always try to get the car for less than asking price. Another thing would be, how the car is optioned. Is it a Z51 car?, 2 tops? etc. In a perfect world, $9,000. would be a nice deal on the car. :cheers:

Not a Z51 car...tires are great....and fluids should be good to go.....I offered 9300.....was turned down......has both tops...what other options should I look for on this? Thanks Jason

81c3 10-04-2017 02:54 PM

Can you get a pic of the RPO code sticker? Its under the lid of the compartment behind the driver seat or under the center console lid maybe... It will have all the 3 digit coding. Post it here and we can help de-code it. Tires can have plenty of traed, but be old... also, shocks are probably needing replacement from age alone....

DTGJASON 10-04-2017 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 81c3 (Post 1595699860)
Can you get a pic of the RPO code sticker? Its under the lid of the compartment behind the driver seat or under the center console lid maybe... It will have all the 3 digit coding. Post it here and we can help de-code it.

Ill try to get that....Thx Jason

81c3 10-04-2017 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DTGJASON (Post 1595699866)
Ill try to get that....Thx Jason

Looks like this.... Snap some pics of the interior, exterior and engine to show us as well....

Fiberbundle 10-04-2017 04:09 PM

I picked up a 1992 LT1, 6speed, ZO7, both tops, every option that was offered this spring for $9500. 20,400 miles perfect condition with original tires. Of course I had to spend $600 on new tires, change all fluids, change knock sensors with the cooling flush, new injectors, new oxygen sensors and will change brake lines this winter.
Of course if your mind is made up on a 1985 this might be the one you want. If you are just looking for a C4 you would be better off with a low mileage 94-96 and you should be able to find one for less than $11,000 if you are not in a hurry.

Joe C 10-04-2017 05:56 PM

my 2-cents -- there's probably nobody that loves 85's more than I do, but unless you have to have that specific year, there are better buys out there - some for a few dollars more, and some for a few dollars less. having said that, $11K probably isn't a bad price IF it's as nice as the OP indicates, (although i'd prefer an auto with the Z51 package, and it would have to be really, I mean really, nice). personally, i'd pass, and take the cash and look for a well cared for, lower mileage 95-96. we recently had a near mint, 95, black on black, Z07 configured, auto/FX3 with (i'm thinking) 40K miles - even had a corsa exhaust system -- it sold for around 10-grand. I considered it, but couldn't get pass the black (no flames, but one black car in my life is enough - :D)

DTGJASON 10-04-2017 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Joe C (Post 1595701122)
my 2-cents -- there's probably nobody that loves 85's more than I do, but unless you have to have that specific year, there are better buys out there - some for a few dollars more, and some for a few dollars less. having said that, $11K probably isn't a bad price IF it's as nice as the OP indicates, (although i'd prefer an auto with the Z51 package, and it would have to be really, I mean really, nice). personally, i'd pass, and take the cash and look for a well cared for, lower mileage 95-96. we recently had a near mint, 95, black on black, Z07 configured, auto/FX3 with (i'm thinking) 40K miles - even had a corsa exhaust system -- it sold for around 10-grand. I considered it, but couldn't get pass the black (no flames, but one black car in my life is enough - :D)

I know this may sounds crazy bought I love the first gen 84-87 (wont buy an 84) I don't really care about speed or performance....I have just always wanted that first styling but like I said....its an oddball car....not that collectible but was in fantastic shape/low miles....Im not paying 11k....I figured this would be the forum to get honest feedback and trying to put a real value on the car.....more info I get on this the better.....Thanks Jason

bac22 10-04-2017 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by DTGJASON (Post 1595699794)
tires are great

If they are the originals, which I suspect with just 12K on the car, then while they may look great they are dangerous to drive on!

This car a garage queen. Plus if you plan on driving the car regularly, then you'll depreciate your $11k rather quickly.

Joe C 10-04-2017 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DTGJASON (Post 1595701204)
I know this may sounds crazy bought I love the first gen 84-87 (wont buy an 84) I don't really care about speed or performance....I have just always wanted that first styling but like I said....its an oddball car....not that collectible but was in fantastic shape/low miles....Im not paying 11k....I figured this would be the forum to get honest feedback and trying to put a real value on the car.....more info I get on this the better.....Thanks Jason

I know what you mean about the early styling - the flat tail, the round tail lights, the black belt body molding. IMO, one advantage with an 85 is the old iron head, bullet proof, L98, and pre-ABS braking. I originally bought my 85 some 22 years ago - then 33K, now 161K miles on the clock. put some money into it over the years, but for some reason, I just can't part with it. so, a real value on the car, well, if it's really nice, and it sounds like you want the early styling, $11K, IMO, is not really a bad price. whatever you do, good luck - keep us informed - :thumbs:

pologreen1 10-04-2017 06:44 PM

1985: Not special and not the greatest version
Miles: Not enough to prove driven, not low enough to make it valuable or special
Used: crap shoot

Drive a newer better car after you drive that one. Hopefully you make the right decision.

This will hurt some feeling around here I'm sure but honestly the only reason anyone should be being a car like that is due to price range. Even then if you wait you can get a better car.

Not based on looks or anything 88+ is where you want be with a c4.

Suspension mounts changed, wheel offsets changed, other small things. 90+ and you get more modern.

To be blunt. Keep looking. Imagine yourself trying to resell an '85 right now what you'll get. Don't be the sucker.

Joe C 10-04-2017 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by bac22 (Post 1595701311)
If they are the originals, which I suspect with just 12K on the car, then while they may look great they are dangerous to drive on!

This car a garage queen. Plus if you plan on driving the car regularly, then you'll depreciate your $11k rather quickly.

:iagree: on the tires, but depreciation depends on how long you keep the car. I bought my 85 in 1995 for just shy of $11K - probably worth half of that today. yearly average depreciation aside from inflation, around $250 per year. a lot of the money I put into the car was general maintenance, same as any other car. some money, just because I wanted to, and some, but not much, because I had to. today, any money I put into the car is because I want to - it's too much a part of my life. :thumbs::thumbs:

JrRifleCoach 10-04-2017 07:27 PM

If you're planning this as a driver, consider an LT1-4.
If you plan this as a specimen, then its a great deal.

My 0.02 :cheers:

DTGJASON 10-04-2017 07:34 PM

My guess is I would drive it at the most 2000 miles a year

cadmaniac 10-04-2017 07:44 PM

I would at least get a ZF 6 speed car. I never liked the way the 7 speeds shifted myself. I thought they were less refined compared to the ZF. For 10 grand you can get a really nice later model c4. If you don't want a Optispark, 1989-1991 L98's had the ZF and no optispark.

pologreen1 10-04-2017 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by cadmaniac (Post 1595701842)
I would at least get a ZF 6 speed car. I never liked the way the 7 speeds shifted myself. I thought they were less refined compared to the ZF. For 10 grand you can get a really nice later model c4. If you don't want a Optispark, 1989-1991 L98's had the ZF and no optispark.

:iagree:
I think you are caught up on the miles OP. A zr1 or grandsport c4 with 12,000 miles value wise is never going to in any of our life times be worth something special. If you plan to drive it forget it.

If you park it or drive it, know that by the years alone MANY things go wrong with these cars.

1985: coldstart, suspension, wheel size and brake size, 2 bolt engine, cast iron heads, 230hp?, 4+3 is okay, dash issues, long crank times, slow windows, probably more I forgot.

A couple of us are trying to save you from very possible regrets.

Have you owned a vette before? It's not that special it is a GM sooo.

Good cars, but I feel like you are wrapped up in the details of the car and not the car.

Good luck if that is really what you are looking for.

Patsgarage 10-04-2017 10:46 PM

It sounds like you really want an early C4, so if this car ticks all of your boxes why not but it ? Could a later car be a better driver ? Sure, but if it is not what YOU want then why bother ? The price is a high, do not buy it counting on it as an appreciating investment, but you only live once, so why not have some fun ?