CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Ordering a Corvette - Allocations and Constraints Explained (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4050891-ordering-a-corvette-allocations-and-constraints-explained.html)

Zymurgy 10-05-2017 02:16 PM

Ordering a Corvette - Allocations and Constraints Explained

At the request of several members, I have made my reply in another thread into this sticky thread. While I am rather familiar with the GM consensus process, I may not have all the details completely correct. I will update this as I get additional reliable information:
When you place an order for a Corvette, some dealers will input your order into GM's order system as soon as you specify exactly what you want and put down your deposit (if they require a deposit). As soon as your order is entered into GM's order system, they can give you your order number. Your order will sit at 1100 until the dealer gets an allocation that allows all of your options/colors/etc. The dealer must also assign a priority number to orders in the system that tells Chevrolet which order the dealer wants orders picked up.

On the other hand, some dealers will not enter an order into the GM system until they actually have an allocation to which they can assign your order. Chevrolet may do a "sold order sweep" and send all sold orders to 2000 regardless of a dealers allocation. In this circumstance, if your order is not in, you could potentially lose out.

Generally, it makes no difference which method your dealer uses, as nothing will happen to your order until that all important allocation is matched to your order (this matching is done by the dealer). It can make a difference during times when production exceeds orders

Allocations are normally communicated to dealers on Thursday along with the nationwide constraints. The dealers allocations will specify exactly how many of what, with which constraints, they have available to them. Dealers have until Saturday to assign their orders to their allocations. This process is known as the "Dealer Order Submission Process" (DOSP). There is also a separate twice monthly "consensus cycle" when dealers agree to accept the allocations offered by Chevrolet.

Once your order is assigned to an allocation, your order will progress to 2000 by the following Tuesday. Once you are at 2000, you have made it past the whole allocation/constraint hurdle and you are on your way to having your car built.

Allocations have a TPW (Targeted Production Week) associated with them (the constraint reports show this TPW), but this is just an early estimate of the TPW. Your TPW will become more firm as you progress to somewhere in the 3000 range (again, I'm not sure the precise status that the TPW becomes fairly stable). TPW's are always on Monday's and it represents the best estimate as to which week your car will be built (sometime during the week that starts that Monday). Actual build dates can differ from the TPW. During start-up, it is likely that the TPWs will slip somewhat. When things are humming along, the actual build date can occur the week prior to the TPW.

Constraints can definitely impact the order process. First of all, you need to understand that constraints are given as the % of the particular vehicles nationwide will be allowed to have that particular option during that consensus cycle. For the sake of an example, let's pretend that Torch Red Stingrays are constrained at 10%. Nationwide, only 10% of all Stingray models will be allowed to be ordered with Torch Red. The percentage at any given dealer can vary from that nationwide average. A low volume dealer that only gets 3 or 4 allocations in a consensus cycle can't get .3 or .4 Stingrays that allow Torch Red, so they probably get zero. A large volume dealer that has 50 allocations can get 5 Torch Red, maybe more. Definitely an advantage for the larger volume Corvette dealers.

Given the combination of allocations (how many of what each dealer gets per cycle) and constraints (what has limited availability) change weekly (sometimes less frequently, but let's just stick with weekly), a dealer really doesn't know what they are going to have next week. So, they really can't tell you how long it might take to get your specific car assigned to an allocation. In addition, dealers might have a waiting list of customers and your order within that list will also impact the process.

Hopefully, from this description you can see that:
There are definite advantages to working with the large dealers because they will have larger numbers of allocations and will likely be less impacted by constraints.
The process is fairly complicated and I have actually simplified it somewhat, and nobody has a crystal ball to know what the next week will bring.
Many dealers (excluding our forum dealers) will not openly discuss allocations and constraints because if they do you are likely to take your business elsewhere.
I hope this helps.

Related thread:
Constraint Reports

Event Status Code
1000 Order On Hold at Dealership
1100 Order Placed at Dealership
1101 Order Entered into System
1102 Order Entered via Web
2000 Order Accepted By GM
2001 Order Generated to Dealer
2005 Order Replaced with Prospec Order
2030 Order Edited (If Necessary)
2050 Order Changed
2500 Order Preferenced (or "Picked Up" or "Imaged")
3000 Order Accepted by Production Control
3100 Order Available to be Sequenced
3300 Order Scheduled for Production
3400 Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Order Produced)
3800 Vehicle Produced
4000 Vehicle Available to Ship
4104 Bailment Invoice Created
4B00 Bayed
4D00 On Hold At Plant
4P00 Hand Off To Carrier
4106 Bailment Released
4150 Vehicle Invoiced
4200 Vehicle Shipped
4300 Intermediate Delivery
4V03 Estimated Delivery Date
4800 Rail Ramp Unload
5000 Vehicle at Dealer
6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer
9000 Order Cancelled

Nate@VanBortelChevy 11-04-2017 10:16 PM

Great explanation, nailed just about everything on the head. The only thing I would add is the weight/importance of allocation changes with the demand of the car. For example:

Year 1 of the C7, dealers were told they will receive X allocations for the entire year (based on previous sales) and that was all they got. Didn’t matter how many sold orders they had or how many orders the dealer plugged into the ordering system.

Year 2 went to “turn and earn”, the more product you sold the more you received. Submitted sold orders didn’t have any weight. Dealer had to wait for an allocation to get an order picked up by GM for production.

Years 3 and 4 went to ADS (average daily supply), a formula GM uses to determine when a dealer has earned allocations. How many Corvettes a dealer has in stock, how many Corvettes the dealer sold in prior months and age of inventory are part of the equation.

Year 5+ basically still ADS but customer sold orders are getting automatically picked up at times even without allocation. Dealers can request Corvettes and are having good luck getting orders filled without allocation. What happens is, when demand is low, dealers pass up their allocation, Chevy uses those passed up allocations by picking up sold orders and giving the allocations to those who request it.

Wshamus 11-07-2017 09:38 AM

Would it be possible to place an order and ask for a specific month museum delivery?

Nate@VanBortelChevy 11-07-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wshamus (Post 1595918691)
Would it be possible to place an order and ask for a specific month museum delivery?

A dealer can try his best to time the submission of your order so that the museum delivery will take place in a certain month but they cannot guarantee it. If you stick with a dealer that sells a good volume of Corvettes you’ll have a better chance.

orca1946 11-11-2017 01:59 PM

That answers a lot for me. Thanx

OldViperDriver 12-05-2017 06:13 PM

Zymurgy,
PM sent.

Gonzo 12-26-2017 05:18 PM

Thank you...... they sure came up with enough acronyms to make you shake your head ;)

Z QQH 6 01-09-2018 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1595706457)
At the request of several members, I have made my reply in another thread into this sticky thread. While I am rather familiar with the GM consensus process, I may not have all the details completely correct. I will update this as I get additional reliable information:
When you place an order for a Corvette, some dealers will input your order into GM's order system as soon as you specify exactly what you want and put down your deposit (if they require a deposit). As soon as your order is entered into GM's order system, they can give you your order number. Your order will sit at 1100 until the dealer gets an allocation that allows all of your options/colors/etc. The dealer must also assign a priority number to orders in the system that tells Chevrolet which order the dealer wants orders picked up.

On the other hand, some dealers will not enter an order into the GM system until they actually have an allocation to which they can assign your order. Chevrolet may do a "sold order sweep" and send all sold orders to 2000 regardless of a dealers allocation. In this circumstance, if your order is not in, you could potentially lose out.

Generally, it makes no difference which method your dealer uses, as nothing will happen to your order until that all important allocation is matched to your order (this matching is done by the dealer). It can make a difference during times when production exceeds orders

Allocations are normally communicated to dealers on Thursday along with the nationwide constraints. The dealers allocations will specify exactly how many of what, with which constraints, they have available to them. Dealers have until Saturday to assign their orders to their allocations. This process is known as the "Dealer Order Submission Process" (DOSP). There is also a separate twice monthly "consensus cycle" when dealers agree to accept the allocations offered by Chevrolet.

Once your order is assigned to an allocation, your order will progress to 2000 by the following Tuesday. Once you are at 2000, you have made it past the whole allocation/constraint hurdle and you are on your way to having your car built.

Allocations have a TPW (Targeted Production Week) associated with them (the constraint reports show this TPW), but this is just an early estimate of the TPW. Your TPW will become more firm as you progress to somewhere in the 3000 range (again, I'm not sure the precise status that the TPW becomes fairly stable). TPW's are always on Monday's and it represents the best estimate as to which week your car will be built (sometime during the week that starts that Monday). Actual build dates can differ from the TPW. During start-up, it is likely that the TPWs will slip somewhat. When things are humming along, the actual build date can occur the week prior to the TPW.

Constraints can definitely impact the order process. First of all, you need to understand that constraints are given as the % of the particular vehicles nationwide will be allowed to have that particular option during that consensus cycle. For the sake of an example, let's pretend that Torch Red Stingrays are constrained at 10%. Nationwide, only 10% of all Stingray models will be allowed to be ordered with Torch Red. The percentage at any given dealer can vary from that nationwide average. A low volume dealer that only gets 3 or 4 allocations in a consensus cycle can't get .3 or .4 Stingrays that allow Torch Red, so they probably get zero. A large volume dealer that has 50 allocations can get 5 Torch Red, maybe more. Definitely an advantage for the larger volume Corvette dealers.

Given the combination of allocations (how many of what each dealer gets per cycle) and constraints (what has limited availability) change weekly (sometimes less frequently, but let's just stick with weekly), a dealer really doesn't know what they are going to have next week. So, they really can't tell you how long it might take to get your specific car assigned to an allocation. In addition, dealers might have a waiting list of customers and your order within that list will also impact the process.

Hopefully, from this description you can see that:
There are definite advantages to working with the large dealers because they will have larger numbers of allocations and will likely be less impacted by constraints.
The process is fairly complicated and I have actually simplified it somewhat, and nobody has a crystal ball to know what the next week will bring.
Many dealers (excluding our forum dealers) will not openly discuss allocations and constraints because if they do you are likely to take your business elsewhere.
I hope this helps.

Related thread:
Constraint Reports

Event Status Code
1000 Order On Hold at Dealership
1100 Order Placed at Dealership
1101 Order Entered into System
1102 Order Entered via Web
2000 Order Accepted By GM
2001 Order Generated to Dealer
2005 Order Replaced with Prospec Order
2030 Order Edited (If Necessary)
2050 Order Changed
2500 Order Preferenced (or "Picked Up" or "Imaged")
3000 Order Accepted by Production Control
3100 Order Available to be Sequenced
3300 Order Scheduled for Production
3400 Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Order Produced)
3800 Vehicle Produced
4000 Vehicle Available to Ship
4104 Bailment Invoice Created
4B00 Bayed
4D00 On Hold At Plant
4P00 Hand Off To Carrier
4106 Bailment Released
4150 Vehicle Invoiced
4200 Vehicle Shipped
4300 Intermediate Delivery
4V03 Estimated Delivery Date
4800 Rail Ramp Unload
5000 Vehicle at Dealer
6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer
9000 Order Cancelled

What does 4B00 bayed mean?

Nate@VanBortelChevy 01-09-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Z QQH 6 (Post 1596341022)
What does 4B00 bayed mean?

That means that the car is built and sitting waiting to be shipped.

CptCvMan 02-09-2018 07:34 AM

How long does it usually take to get a TPW?
Ordered from MacMulkin so not worried about them getting an allocation, just really curious how long before GM gives a build week.

Nate@VanBortelChevy 02-09-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CptCvMan (Post 1596554132)
How long does it usually take to get a TPW?
Ordered from MacMulkin so not worried about them getting an allocation, just really curious how long before GM gives a build week.

During the allocation period that the order is accepted for production. However, that TPP isn't always 100% accurate. After a couple weeks GM updates the TPP to a more accurate time frame.

CptCvMan 02-09-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy (Post 1596554843)
During the allocation period that the order is accepted for production. However, that TPP isn't always 100% accurate. After a couple weeks GM updates the TPP to a more accurate time frame.

Thank you. At code 3000 as of today.

As the song said, the waiting is the hardest part.

JumpingJackFlash 02-09-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by CptCvMan (Post 1596558876)
Thank you. At code 3000 as of today.

As the song said, the waiting is the hardest part.

Thanks to Tom Petty “The Waiting”

Chorus

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

K2500Z71 02-15-2018 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy (Post 1595903191)
Year 5+ basically still ADS but customer sold orders are getting automatically picked up at times even without allocation. Dealers can request Corvettes and are having good luck getting orders filled without allocation. What happens is, when demand is low, dealers pass up their allocation, Chevy uses those passed up allocations by picking up sold orders and giving the allocations to those who request it.

This happened to mine. Dealer had no allocation but entered my order on Monday of this week and it got picked up anyway. By Wednesday it was at 3000 and today (Thursday) I have a TPW of 3/19.

Baron37075 02-19-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy (Post 1595903191)

Originally Posted by K2500Z71 (Post 1596601195)

This happened to mine. Dealer had no allocation but entered my order on Monday of this week and it got picked up anyway. By Wednesday it was at 3000 and today (Thursday) I have a TPW of 3/19.

Great advice that worked!
For the past 3 Thursday's my salesman informed me that his dealership had received no allocations. After sharing the above information, the dealership entered my order this past weekend. The salesman informed me today that my order had been placed...he was shocked! Tentative build date is Mid-March 2019. Appreciate the information on this forum!

D'ZR1 Messiah 02-22-2018 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Baron37075 (Post 1596626935)
Great advice that worked!
For the past 3 Thursday's my salesman informed me that his dealership had received no allocations. After sharing the above information, the dealership entered my order this past weekend. The salesman informed me today that my order had been placed...he was shocked! Tentative build date is Mid-March 2019. Appreciate the information on this forum!

You mean Mid-March 2018?

Baron37075 02-22-2018 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 1596651277)
You mean Mid-March 2018?

Good call out...Yes, Mid-March 2018.

K2500Z71 03-23-2018 12:00 PM

4300?

My car was built Wednesday and is still sitting outside the plant but is showing status 4300 (Intermediate Delivery). Any idea why? All I can figure is that I ordered the full length stripes and maybe they’re installed by a third party that is on site. Any other ideas what might be going on?

elegant 03-24-2018 11:00 PM

Yes, stripes do take one or two days additional. They are installed in another, much smaller building on BGA grounds by GM personnel.

Every Corvette, once finished, stays on Plant grounds until “officially released” by BGA. Once released, the transporter, Jack Cooper Transport, has per contract up to ten calendar days to remove it from the plant, and start transporting it to either the dealer or to the CSX yard in Toldedo (for those cars going by rail). There is one huge incentive for JC Transport to move cars to their destination ADAP, for they are not paid until the car is delivered to JCT’s final drop off point for that individual vehicle.

smusk 03-25-2018 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by K2500Z71 (Post 1596843256)
My car was built Wednesday and is still sitting outside the plant but is showing status 4300 (Intermediate Delivery). Any idea why? All I can figure is that I ordered the full length stripes and maybe they’re installed by a third party that is on site. Any other ideas what might be going on?

Mine was ordered 1/26, built 3/20 and delivered to the dealer this Friday 1/23. Sounds good except it was damaged by the truck driver and the rocker and fender have exposed fiber glass damage. It is bad enough I will not accept the car and now have to reorder another one. I can't believe this happened to me. The same carrier dropped off a ZR1 and a Z06 with mine and they were fine. Lucky me.