CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C1] What discount for a NOM 350? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4050933-what-discount-for-a-nom-350-a.html)

Smiles 10-05-2017 03:50 PM

What discount for a NOM 350?

I found a great '61 in the color combination I've always wanted.

It does have a NOM 350 in it, but looks correct.

I don't care as much, but I have the feeling that I might care in a few years when it comes time to sell the car.

Is there some ballpark percentage discount for NOM cars? Everything else being the same, that is.

Or, if the car also has a Tremec 5-speed, would that help offset the 350?

Thanks!

Matt

MOXIE62 10-05-2017 03:55 PM

I can not give you a price difference. Only that unless the person was almost giving me the car, I would walk away. But that's me and there are plenty other folks where the original engine does not matter.

Tonio 10-05-2017 04:00 PM

I'd say a solid 25% discount from the price of a similar car with it's born-with (as opposed to "matching numbers") drivetrain.

Smiles 10-05-2017 04:06 PM

Thanks, guys.

I figured it would be a lot.

I would hate to get stuck with a car I couldn't sell.

Matt

MikeM 10-05-2017 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 1595707192)

Matt

Maybe you should read post #2. Many do not care!

Besides, I see no discount. I see some that pay a premium for a "numbers matching" engine that may/may not be the original engine. They are the ones that get screwed!

cv67 10-05-2017 05:05 PM

Thanks, guys.

Matt

Why would you? Car has your interest, it will get someone elses, too.
Guys either want a 100% #s car or they dont, doesnt matter.

To the seller, more cubes and a 5 spd is a plus; cant see looking at a non stock car and asking for a discount cause it isnt stock.
Who really wants a 60 yr old engine?

Nowhere Man 10-05-2017 05:25 PM

Thanks, guys.

Matt

the next buyer most likely will be thinking like you. or the next buyer will be looking for a solid car wit ha 350. if everything checks out and its what you want go for it. they are not making them anymore.

Swept57 10-05-2017 05:29 PM

There are many, myself included, that consider a born-with engine as a liability. And I didn't use to see things that way. But now, I don't want to pay the premium nor do I want to worry about something happening to it. And if dressed properly, 99% wouldn't know the difference anyway. The 25% quoted above might hold for a rare engine option, but I think it would be a lot less for the bread and butter base engines. And why would you care about not getting the born-with premium when you sell, you aren't paying it when you buy.

Tonio 10-06-2017 07:00 AM

"And why would you care about not getting the born-with premium when you sell, you aren't paying it when you buy."

I believe THAT is the OP's question: given 2 otherwise similar cars, a car with it's born-with drivetrain vs a NOM car, how much less should he expect to pay for the NOM car?

Some of you guys seem to be saying that you'd pay the same amount for each car? Really?

AkrHack 10-06-2017 08:11 AM

If you like the car and as long as you get the NOM discount when you buy, I say go for it.

Smiles 10-06-2017 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chapter2 (Post 1595710935)
"And why would you care about not getting the born-with premium when you sell, you aren't paying it when you buy."

I believe THAT is the OP's question: given 2 otherwise similar cars, a car with it's born-with drivetrain vs a NOM car, how much less should he expect to pay for the NOM car?

Some of you guys seem to be saying that you'd pay the same amount for each car? Really?

That's exactly my question.

And it's hard to believe that the answer is zero difference.

Matt

Nowhere Man 10-06-2017 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 1595711410)

Matt

There is no good answer. A base engine powerglide car is not worth as much as a fuel car with docs.

Dad's 59 10-06-2017 09:59 AM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1595707554)
Maybe you should read post #2. Many do not care!

Besides, I see no discount. I see some that pay a premium for a "numbers matching" engine that may/may not be the original engine. They are the ones that get screwed!

:iagree:Restamps are ramped and many have triple crown awards :withstupid::salute::confused2:

Dad's 59 10-06-2017 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 1595707109)

I don't care as much, but I have the feeling that I might care in a few years when it comes time to sell the car.

Is there some ballpark percentage discount for NOM cars? Everything else being the same, that is.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt it use to be about the car back in the day; unfortunately today the majority is focused on numbers and money. At the end of day it is still a 1961 corvette, if you love it/ it will love you back!:yesnod: Join the real car guys:cheers:

Bill Pilon 10-06-2017 11:03 AM

I don't think there is a discount for NOM, because they make up the majority of the market, if some one wants to pay a premium for something perceived to be OE that is their business, it most likely a restamp anyways.

This numbers matching thing is BS, next you'll want me to believe the fabric top is original because it has the right date stamped in the rear window. This whole reproduction thing is deception, something can only be original once, when it is gone it is gone forever no fake or so called reproduction parts can bring it back.

After 50 or so years of life, especially a Corvette which was built to driven hard, finding one that is truly original is about as likely as finding a virgin among prostitutes, it can happen but it ain't likely.

Bill

OC-1 10-06-2017 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 1595707109)

Thanks!

Matt

At this point in time, post 1961, it matters not at all. Nom is trick buyers use to reduce the price of the car, implying that their reference in pricing is NCRS judging. which judges if the car 'appears' as delivered. Not originality.

Ask yourself if the 350 runs well, if it does that's all a buyer could want.

Original is nice to have but the market for such exclusivity is quite small compared to the market for a nice good looking dependable vette.

RatDog 10-06-2017 12:11 PM

If you pay a premium for an original motor car, you’re going to want to be kinder to that engine than a NOM.

When I was looking for a car, I didn’t care if the motor was original. As it turned out, the car I bought has its “born with” engine. Last year, I was stopped at a light on a road outside of town. A Jaguar pulled up next to me. We exchanged thumbs up and he asked me if I wanted to race. I looked at the road ahead. It was straight as an arrow with no cars as far as the eye could see. I wanted to say “yes” but I thought about my original engine. Even with strains of “Dead Man’s Curve” running through my head pumping up my adrenaline, I reluctantly declined.

At at that moment, I wished I had a NOM.

Steve

Smiles 10-06-2017 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by RatDog (Post 1595712620)
If you pay a premium for an original motor car, you’re going to want to be kinder to that engine than a NOM.

When I was looking for a car, I didn’t care if the motor was original. As it turned out, the car I bought has its “born with” engine. Last year, I was stopped at a light on a road outside of town. A Jaguar pulled up next to me. We exchanged thumbs up and he asked me if I wanted to race. I looked at the road ahead. It was straight as an arrow with no cars as far as the eye could see. I wanted to say “yes” but I thought about my original engine. Even with strains of “Dead Man’s Curve” running through my head pumping up my adrenaline, I reluctantly declined.

At at that moment, I wished I had a NOM.

Steve

Great post! Great way to look at it!

Matt

Tonio 10-06-2017 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 1595711410)

Matt

There is definitely a price difference. Personally, I would expect a 20%-25% lower price for a NOM car vs the identical car with it's born-with drivetrain.

GTOguy 10-06-2017 03:17 PM

My own '61 has a NOM 383 in it with the original 270HP dual quads. It would be worth more $$$ if it had the original 283. That said, the 383 engine is superior in every way to the original 283, and much more fun to drive. I like it as it is, but if it had the original powerplant, I sure wouldn't change it out. I think 10%-25% premium for a born with (not a re-stamp) engine is realistic. Once you get into customs and resto-mods, all of this goes right out the window, and the cost is based on the quality and features of the build.