CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   1972 Hardtops (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4052304-1972-hardtops.html)

SnottyL79 10-09-2017 10:23 AM

1972 Hardtops

In 1972, could a Corvette be ordered as a removable hardtop only car? If so, would there be any provisions from the factory when new to install a convertible top if desired later on?

Alan 71 10-09-2017 10:45 AM

Hi S,
Welcome!

Yes, for the 72 model year a car could be ordered with just a hardtop.

I'm uncertain what if anything would have been deleted from the car when it was a hard-top only car.

SnottyL79 10-09-2017 12:45 PM

1972 Hardtops

Alan 71, thanks for the reply. So I'm assuming there would be "pin" holes on the "flip up deck" for a convertible top regardless. Would there be two separate sets of "pin" holes like a C2 convertible (one for convertible top and one for hardtop") or is it just one for both tops? Am not familiar with the hardtop itself...does it have "pins" or "posts" along the bottom to fit those holes or just tabs to screw in the inside of the car near the top of the door to hold it down?

mortgageguy 10-09-2017 01:02 PM

Just one set of pin holes for both tops. The hard top has two threaded studs that fit in the holes and a bracket slips over the studs on the under side followed by nuts to secure it.

SnottyL79 10-09-2017 01:29 PM

Thanks for your help, Mortgageguy...much appreciated.

SnottyL79 10-09-2017 01:39 PM

1972 Hardtops

Thanks for your reply, Mortgageguy.
So if I was to attempt to install a convertible top frame on a "factory hardtop only" '72, are there provisions where the frame would attach to the inside of the car or would something have to be fabricated"

theandies 10-09-2017 04:16 PM

There should also be a small hole in the center of the deck lid where the hard top sits. I'm not sure if this hole is present if the hard top was not ordered from the factory as the convertible top doesn't use this hole. When not using the hard top there is a small plug that goes into this hole. I'll be installing my hard top soon and will take some more pictures for you.

Don't know what year this is but you can see the small hard top center hole in this picture.

http://www.2040-parts.com/_content/i...066701/001.jpg

68BLUEVETTE 10-09-2017 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1595731270)
There should also be a small hole in the center of the deck lid where the hard top sits. I'm not sure if this hole is present if the hard top was not ordered from the factory as the convertible top doesn't use this hole. When not using the hard top there is a small plug that goes into this hole. I'll be installing my hard top soon and will take some more pictures for you.

Don't know what year this is but you can see the small hard top center hole in this picture.

http://www.2040-parts.com/_content/i...066701/001.jpg

my 68 doesn't have that hole, nor does the hardtop have an extra pin there, and was a hardtop from factory. Is this just another 68 special? I htought the hardtops were at least the same through all the years.

theandies 10-09-2017 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 68BLUEVETTE (Post 1595731518)
my 68 doesn't have that hole, nor does the hardtop have an extra pin there, and was a hardtop from factory. Is this just another 68 special? I htought the hardtops were at least the same through all the years.

I know '68's didn't have the center hole/pin and am not sure when GM added it. '68's also don't have the chrome tips on the rear points of the top either.

Alan 71 10-09-2017 05:19 PM

Hi,
In looking at the Hardtop Option section in the AIM it appears that the center hole was drilled as part of the hardtop option.

The sheet for mounting the hardtop seems to indicate the bracket that attached to the rear center of the hardtop may have been used as a guide for where to drill the hole in the deck lid.
UPC CO7, Sheet A6 in the 71 AIM. I'd think it would be the same for 72.
The hole is called out as 1/2" +- 1/64".

Regards,
Alan

SnottyL79 10-09-2017 05:25 PM

Thanks again, Alan 71,,,would you know if I was to try to install a convertible frame on a "hardtop only" car, are there provisions in the inside of the car to readily install it or would something have to be fabricated?

Alan 71 10-09-2017 05:44 PM

Hi S,
I really don't know.

Do you know about the Assembly Instruction Manuals that are available from many vendors and were used on the production line in St.Louis?
The one for each year of production.

There is a section of about 6 sheets devoted to the soft top installation on the production line.

If you buy a manual you's be able to look through the installation while looking at your car to see what's going to be involved in installing the top and it's operating mechanism.

Are you certain you car was a hardtop only car or is it a car that's had the soft top removed at some time?
Regards,
Alan

theandies 10-09-2017 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by SnottyL79 (Post 1595731651)
Thanks again, Alan 71,,,would you know if I was to try to install a convertible frame on a "hardtop only" car, are there provisions in the inside of the car to readily install it or would something have to be fabricated?

Those would be behind the 1/4 trim panels at the seat backs. You should see a serrated portion of the pillar post and two holes with captured nuts inside and that is where the soft-top is mounted. This is also a major adjustment point for the soft-top. The rear deck holes are used by both tops.
My guess is all convertibles were made with the soft-top installation points regardless if it was ordered as a hard top car only. Coupes and Verts have a different VIN so I'd think the convertible birdcage when fabricated would automatically get the attachment points especially if it came from another plant. Not sure what the GM logistic's for Corvette production was back then.

If it was ordered hard top only I suspect it is very rare.

SnottyL79 10-09-2017 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1595731798)
Those would be behind the 1/4 trim panels at the seat backs. You should see a serrated portion of the pillar post and two holes with captured nuts inside and that is where the soft-top is mounted. This is also a major adjustment point for the soft-top. The rear deck holes are used by both tops.
My guess is all convertibles were made with the soft-top installation points regardless if it was ordered as a hard top car only. Coupes and Verts have a different VIN so I'd think the convertible birdcage when fabricated would automatically get the attachment points especially if it came from another plant. Not sure what the GM logistic's for Corvette production was back then.

If it was ordered hard top only I suspect it is very rare.

Theandies, am appreciative of your input...makes sense that the Corvettes had convertible framing provisions for both "hardtop only" and convertibles. Kind of suspected that was the case...will check the areas you mentioned where the two holes and captured nuts are located. Thanks again.

Easy Mike 10-10-2017 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1595731798)
...especially if it came from another plant...

FWIW: all C3 bird cages, coupe and convertible, were welded up in the basement at St. Louis. They were not provided by an outside source.

...Not sure what the GM logistic's for Corvette production was back then...
Simple: To sell cars.
:)

theandies 10-10-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1595734990)
FWIW: all C3 bird cages, coupe and convertible, were welded up in the basement at St. Louis. They were not provided by an outside source.

So if the birdcages were all welded up at St. Louis were all the birdcage structural members also manufactured (in the attic :lol: ) at the St. Louis plant or outsourced?

I'm waiting to see SnottyL79 responce.

mortgageguy 10-10-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 68BLUEVETTE (Post 1595731518)

My 72 does'nt either. I bought mine when it was one year old. I feel very confidant it was a factory hardtop car.

theandies 10-11-2017 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by mortgageguy (Post 1595740763)
My 72 does'nt either. I bought mine when it was one year old. I feel very confidant it was a factory hardtop car.

That's strange as I know my 1971 is a factory hardtop car and it came with the hole and pin. I bought it from the original owner and he bought it with the hardtop (or Auxiliary Hardtop as it was called).

mortgageguy 10-11-2017 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1595741547)
That's strange as I know my 1971 is a factory hardtop car and it came with the hole and pin. I bought it from the original owner and he bought it with the hardtop (or Auxiliary Hardtop as it was called).

I bought mine from a dealer, so it could have been added to it. I have always assumed it came factory. It was produced in the last week of production for the 72's.

theandies 10-11-2017 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mortgageguy (Post 1595745630)
I bought mine from a dealer, so it could have been added to it. I have always assumed it came factory. It was produced in the last week of production for the 72's.

Could be from the factory but I would assume that the hardtop could be a dealer installed option as well. Maybe your top was ordered after the car was bought originally???????? Hardtops are small and can be shipped easily to the factory.
That brings up if the hole and pin would be installed by the dealer if it came without them installed on the top at the time of arrival at the dealer.

BTW - Out of the Convertible with the top down, the Coupe and the Convertible with the Hardtop on - The hardtop look is what I like the best. IMO that is the way the Coupe should have been styled.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...90526248d3.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3b834c6a41.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a276914093.jpg

Hey Alan71 - another mystery production timeline convertible change thread. :willy::rofl::ack: