CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   BRIGHTEST headlight/reverse bulb needed...tinting windshield super dark. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4053088-brightest-headlight-reverse-bulb-needed-tinting-windshield-super-dark.html)

Klaus7385 10-11-2017 05:42 AM

BRIGHTEST headlight/reverse bulb needed...tinting windshield super dark.

As the topic states the windshield will be tinted dark.....5% dark. Yes, you read that correctly...5%. I can already foresee the negative comments concerning this mod but please (if you can) refrain as to not clutter my thread. I have had this on my previous Vette with no issue seeing at night (all interior lights were set to darkest setting). As well as my other vehicle for the past 6+ years. I don't speed at night so I never "outrun" my headlights and I stay focused on driving. But like you would think, the tint does...to some degree...somewhat lessen the viewing than without.

With that being said, I'm looking into purchasing lights that offer the most output (lumens). I have searched and seen a couple of vendors on here JW Motorsports and Diode dynamics. Here is another place that sells headlight bulbs that may meet my criteria but I'm curious as to second, third and forth opinions as I like to research and hear opinions before I buy. Www.vette-lights.com

Cliff notes:
Looking for brightest bulb to put in headlights AND reverse lights

Thank You,
William Klaus

PS here is my old 2011 C6.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b7d928834.jpeg

EVILFACE 10-11-2017 07:02 AM

No issues seeing at night with 5%, riiiiight. No wonder you are asking for bright headlight bulbs.

Anyway, hit up http://jwmotorsportsllc.3dcartstores.com/

Corvette_Ed 10-11-2017 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Klaus7385 (Post 1595741553)
As the topic states the windshield will be tinted dark.....5% dark. Yes, you read that correctly...5%.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ac3143563c.gif

ben dover 10-11-2017 07:16 AM

You might consider the fog/high-beam override and use HIDs in the fog lamps.

LoganExplosion 10-11-2017 07:35 AM

Haha! Genius!! Should have just bought a camaro if you didn't want to see.

Tonylmiller 10-11-2017 07:46 AM

Where can you do that without getting a citation?

Narddog 10-11-2017 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Klaus7385 (Post 1595741553)
As the topic states the windshield will be tinted dark.....5% dark. Yes, you read that correctly...5%. I can already foresee the negative comments concerning this mod but please (if you can) refrain as to not clutter my thread. I have had this on my previous Vette with no issue seeing at night (all interior lights were set to darkest setting). As well as my other vehicle for the past 6+ years. I don't speed at night so I never "outrun" my headlights and I stay focused on driving. But like you would think, the tint does...to some degree...somewhat lessen the viewing than without.

With that being said, I'm looking into purchasing lights that offer the most output (lumens). I have searched and seen a couple of vendors on here JW Motorsports and Diode dynamics. Here is another place that sells headlight bulbs that may meet my criteria but I'm curious as to second, third and forth opinions as I like to research and hear opinions before I buy. Www.vette-lights.com

Cliff notes:
Looking for brightest bulb to put in headlights AND reverse lights

PS here is my old 2011 C6.

So let me get this straight. You want to blind everyone else on the road because your dumb ass wanted to tint their windshield nearly pitch black? Unless you're a cat or have some robotic night vision eyes, this is quite possibly the most mentally challenged post I have ever seen.

Klaus7385 10-11-2017 08:19 AM

I'll clarify for the non-believers. The whole reason behind the 5% was a mistake that happened on a prior vehicle. I was suppose to have 20% but the installer put 5% by mistake. Yes, I was shocked as hell when I initially saw it but we agreed if it were a problem, it'd get redone. Well after installing HID's in the civic, it was not bad at all seeing at night. Like with any most change in life you adapt and overcome. This is a modification that I adapted to and now easily see out of. Mostly everyone else freaks out about it when they sit in the drivers seat (like a few on here already have) but once they acclimate themselves to the change, MOST don't have an issue and find drivability very easy.

EVRose 10-11-2017 08:20 AM

:rolleyes: :crazy:

Klaus7385 10-11-2017 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ohshift (Post 1595741913)
So let me get this straight. You want to blind everyone else on the road because your dumb ass wanted to tint their windshield nearly pitch black? Unless you're a cat or have some robotic night vision eyes, this is quite possibly the most mentally challenged post I have ever seen.

No need in amplifying the situation. I'm merely asking for options as to which product is offered to everyone via the vendor. I'm not wanting to mount a 1000 watt light bar in the grill. I'm asking which vendor would provide the most lumens for headlights. If they offered the same lumens that the factory has, no big deal. Like I stated before, the lights on the vette I have now are fine. If there's a better alternative that would provide more light without "blinding everyone else on the road because your dumb ass wanted to tint their windshield nearly pitch black" than sign me up. If not, oh well. But until you've sat in the drivers seat, don't knock it til you tried it. And if you have and don't like it, well then I guess it's not for you. Different strokes, differnet folks.

JW Motorsports 10-11-2017 08:38 AM

Thanks for considering us. :thumbs:

The factory headlight bulbs will be the brightest.

I would add one of our fog kits to brighten things up a bit more in the front: http://www.jwmotorsportsllc.com/C6-C...ALE_p_285.html

For reverse lights, we've been out for a while. The good news is we finally have a new production run right now. These are expected in either late this month or early next.

These are the brightest reverse lights ever produced for the C6. The standard plug in led bulbs that others offer don't come close.

Add yourself to the waiting list for an email when they arrive:

http://www.jwmotorsportsllc.com/C6-C...bs-_p_156.html

Corvette_Ed 10-11-2017 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Klaus7385 (Post 1595742017)
Well after installing HID's in the civic...

This explains a lot....:crazy2:

BadAV 10-11-2017 09:18 AM

5% tint on the windshield? Dumb, dumb, dumb. Did I mention how dumb that idea is?

It's your car and you can and are going to do what you want with it, but no matter what you think about "adjusting" to the tint, you are endangering the lives of everyone else on the road. BAD idea!

Jmhornz71 10-11-2017 09:50 AM

From what I read on state laws windshield tint is not allowed below at the most 6 inches from the top. Not worth getting tickets :flag:

Diode Dynamics 10-11-2017 09:53 AM

I have to agree with others, 5% on the windshield is pretty unnecessary IMO. If you 100% have to tint your windshield, 30-35% will give you the same effect while still being relatively easy to see out of. We tinted the windshield on our SEMA build, because it's not a daily driver:

http://www.diodedynamics.com/images/...aro_Bridge.jpg

Regardless, improving your nighttime visibility is a good idea and we have solid options for your reverse lights. Our Corvette XP80 LED model produces 520 lumens (measured), which is similar to a factory halogen fog light.

Here are two helpful videos to watch when considering LED replacements:

You may also consider upgrading your factory fog lights to an LED for additional output. In regards to your headlights, they are factory HID, which is about as good as it gets, so I'd leave those alone. You won't gain any additional output by swapping them with a higher color temperature like 5000K or 6000K.

If you have any lighting related questions, please feel free to reach out to us: (314) 205-3033. Even if you decide not to purchase lighting products from Diode Dynamics, we still want to make sure you have all the information you need to understand what constitutes quality lighting.

Thanks!
Nick C.

C6 Snowboarder 10-11-2017 10:10 AM

I would be a bit worried about insurance coverage if you get into an accident... your insurer may decline due to this mod.. :crazy2::crazy2:

RLSebring 10-11-2017 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ohshift (Post 1595741913)

My beef with high output lights that seem to be the current fad is they are blinding to on coming cars as well as those coming up from behind you. I usually flash them thinking their hi beams are on but then they hit the high beams.

I'm not sure if they are just super bright or they have aiming issues... Consider others on the hiway.

OregonMike 10-11-2017 11:16 AM

No help for you on the front end but a backup camera is the way to go for backing up. Those work great even with the stock 3157 backup bulbs :cheers:

2L8LUZ 10-11-2017 12:15 PM

Adapting huh? I hope your not rolling around with a car seat and a baby...

LoganExplosion 10-11-2017 03:11 PM

Probably easier just to wear sunglasses during the day. But that's just me talking (not a doctor).

Adapting huh? I hope your not rolling around with a car seat and a baby...
Car seat?! No no no. He's looking into purchasing wider seat belts that offer the most hold onto newborn baby skin. Please

refrain as to not clutter my thread
:lolg: