CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   I am finally retiring (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4053512-i-am-finally-retiring.html)

plaidside 10-12-2017 08:00 AM

I am finally retiring

After 43 years in the automotive business and 31 years in my parts store, I have made the decision to retire on Oct. 21st.
I am a little apprehensive waking up one morning not having to work.
I have been working 6 days a week, 9-10 hours a day for 31 years.
I have made some good friends and I will miss most of my customers who came to rely on my knowledge of old cars.
So I guess you will be seeing me more often on this forum.:D
On to a new chapter in my wife's and my life.
Joe
This is the counter, notice the "string of fame", these are my some of my customers cars.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...55cdf7142c.jpg

They filmed a movie in my store staring Jessica Alba and JK Simmons.
He was great but Jessica was not so nice.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9f712c95c0.jpg

Easy Rhino 10-12-2017 08:06 AM

Big Congrats . . .

On a well earned and well deserved retirement.

what movie, and where is your store?

dahogan 10-12-2017 08:09 AM

Congrats, hope all goes well.

59BlueSilver 10-12-2017 08:26 AM

I hope you love retirement as much as I do. The main issue to longevity is having something to do, have a goal and something to look forward to.
You worked a long time for it, now have fun!

ack fia 10-12-2017 08:32 AM

Retirement

Now you need a new project, maybe an old Corvette to bring back to life.:thumbs:

GUSTO14 10-12-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by plaidside (Post 1595749257)
After 43 years in the automotive business and 31 years in my parts store, I have made the decision to retire on Oct. 21st.
I am a little apprehensive waking up one morning not having to work.
I have been working 6 days a week, 9-10 hours a day for 31 years.
I have made some good friends and I will miss most of my customers who came to rely on my knowledge of old cars.
So I guess you will be seeing me more often on this forum.:D
On to a new chapter in my wife's and my life.
Joe

They filmed a movie in my store staring Jessica Alba and JK Simmons.
He was great but Jessica was not so nice.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9f712c95c0.jpg

Congratulations Joe on reaching that milestone! :thumbs:

Is someone taking over the store, or are you closing shop?

Would that movie be An Invisible Sign by chance?

Good luck... GUSTO

Roger Walling 10-12-2017 09:10 AM

Now that you are retiring you will have time to do all those things that you wanted to do, NOT!

You will find that there is not enough time to do what you want to.

So get up early and enjoy your retirement. If you snooze, you lose!

:auto::auto::party::auto::auto:

corvetteed 10-12-2017 09:15 AM

Yup, I agree w/the above; you'll wonder how you got everything done when you were working, because in retirement, you'll be busier than ever. Hope you get to do all those things on your wish list. :thumbs:

Tonio 10-12-2017 09:18 AM

My retired friends tell me that it now takes them 3 times as long to get the same work done compared to pre-retirement. I tell them that's a GOOD thing.....it means they are taking their time, doing things right. They say no, it's due to a new lifestyle of laziness. LOL

65tripleblack 10-12-2017 09:21 AM

Good luck and have fun!

Looks like that store is in an older section of SI, like Westerleigh, Mariners Harbor, Castleton, Tompkinsville, etc North Shore areas well established long before the GG was completed in '64.

I've been retired since July 1995.

Don't forget that you still need a porpoise in this life after you retire.

Robert61 10-12-2017 09:28 AM

Congratulations! I've been retired for 17 months. I chose Ack Fia's idea in post #5. I have loved every second of it. Some people my wife encluded need work to keep them busy and give them purpose. I love doing next when next gets here not having to plan when I have time. By the way have you ever done any Allstate commercials?

capevettes 10-12-2017 09:29 AM

Congratulations and well deserved :cheers: Now you can do what you WANT to do and not what you HAVE to do. You will wonder how you ever had time to work. Enjoy your new, free time. It could be alot worse than playing with cars, that's for sure :thumbs:

1snake 10-12-2017 09:33 AM

Congratulations on your retirement. I retired 6+ years ago when I was 56. Be prepared for time to really start flying by. A Corvette project in the garage is great advice. There's one in my shop right now.

JDMilw 10-12-2017 09:36 AM

I've been retired about 18 months now after 42 years (USMC, USPS). I can't tell you how good it feels! Every week is 6 Saturdays and a Sunday (borrowed quote)!

Now that I've got a new Grand Sport I feel like I'm 21 again.

Congrats on a successful career!

GTOguy 10-12-2017 10:27 AM

Congrats, and enjoy it. I am 1.5 to 3 years away from it myself, and can't wait. Too much other stuff to do rather than be stuck at work most of the time.

solidaxel 10-12-2017 11:13 AM

Joe YOU have MADE the right decision!
Enjoy the rest of your life on your family friends and your projects
This the last quarter and it goes by too fast
Set goals but not a schedule
I was bought out of my job in 1990 at 45yo. the last 27 years have gone by much faster than the 23 years I worked for ma bell
You will wonder how had so much time to give to YOUR store and still get things accomplished
If you are "feeling good" now is the time to invest in YOURSELF
When I first retired one of the "old timers" was at my retirement party and he gave me my first lesson in retirement, and I have passed it on many times over
When your feet hit the floor you must have at least ONE thing to accomplish this day!
.......... right after you make the bed!
Take a few weeks off and de program then let your mind wander!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction with Charlie, you know how to "pick" them!

..................road trip.....road trip !!!

SDVette 10-12-2017 11:19 AM

Congratulations Joe. Well deserved!

Randy G. 10-12-2017 11:20 AM

I have 4 years and 4 months to go. Seems like an eternity, but it'll go fast.

If it stays open you can volunteer to work the counter if you get too bored.

Railroadman 10-12-2017 11:26 AM

Congrats! You have earned it!

Don't rush into a new structure of life. Give yourself time to adjust. I had planned to get into part-time work and had contacts all lined up. Decided to take a week or two off first, to transition. 6+ years later and I still have not gotten into part-time work. But I HAVE developed interests I had no clue would ever appeal to me. So my advice is take some time to clear your head, put the demands of the past off your mind, and THEN decide where you want to begin.

:cheers:

markdonc 10-12-2017 11:34 AM

Quit working in 2005, never been bored yet.