CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Intros (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/intros-134/)
-   -   In the Market.......Total kid in a candy store (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/intros/4053768-in-the-market-total-kid-in-a-candy-store.html)

Billy346 10-12-2017 08:13 PM

In the Market.......Total kid in a candy store

Hey guys! Thanks for the add! I've been wanting a 'Vette for no less than ten years. (I always thought my Camaro was awesome until I drove a C5. I was hooked.) . Finally, I'm in a position to start looking for one. I always thought I wanted a 2003 or 2004 Z06, but now that the time has actually arrived, I just can't decide. The C7 has grown on me, and I'm thinking I might want to spring fora new one instead. :eek: Hopefully you guys can help me sort all of this out. Cheers!

Route99 10-12-2017 08:38 PM

Welcome to the Forum, Billy!
Congratulations on being in a position to purchase a Corvette. The best advice I can offer about which generation Vette to buy is learn everything you can about the generations you are interested in, then look at actual cars. If you have any Cars and Coffee or other such get togethers attend a few. Talk to the owners of different generations. If you find someone who has owned multiple generations of Vettes they will be a great source. Ask them the pros and cons of the different Vettes they have owned. You've driven a C5, so try to get a test drive (or test ride) in a C6 and C7 to see if you prefer the feel of one over the other. You'll find there are many owners of C5s or C6s that can afford to buy the C7 but for different reasons prefer the generation they currently drive. Only you can really evaluate which car is the best "value" for you. Whenever you are ready to purchase, see if any cars listed in the C5, C6 and C7 Corvettes for Sale are what you are looking to buy. Although not an absolute, many or most of the Forum members take very good care of their cars.
Good luck with your search.

Jeff T. 10-12-2017 09:02 PM

Billy - Be sure to read the "stickies" in the C5 section. Plenty of good information there.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search! :thumbs:

Nick_C5 10-12-2017 09:13 PM

Welcome Billy! I was in your shoes til i purchased my c5 last week. I could have afforded to get into a c6 but decided i liked the c5 just about as much. So i chose to save some coin and got a c5. Good luck in your search.

FX VETTE 10-12-2017 09:59 PM

Welcome to the CF! :cheers:

Vetteman Jack 10-12-2017 11:18 PM

Welcome and best of luck in finding the right car for you.

Billy346 10-13-2017 06:27 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the tips, guys! I read through the C5 stickies last night. What a wealth of information!

Im taking my time with this. I’ve waited a long time and I’m going to get what I want. (Within reason). I don’t have a preference for any particular generation. They are all really nice cars for what they are. I do appreciate the relative simplicity of the C5 over the C6 and C7. The C5 ZO6 seems to still have that “just get in and drive” feeling like the older cars without the distractions and annoyances of new technology and government mandated fuel efficiency and emissions features. I really like the LS6 with its smooth temperament and screaming exhaust note above 3500 RPM. It’s a powerful engine, but it’s not so powerful that you can only enjoy it on the track without going to the big house. I also prefer the looks of the C5 over the C6.

I like the C6 ZO6. I’ve driven one, and it’s a real beast when you get into the throttle, but so compliant and docile when driven lightly. Plus the LS7 has that “big block” roar that you only get with big displacement V8’s. The wide body kit really brings out the looks in the C6 as well. The valve issue has me scared though. I’d like to find out if there is a model year that is exempt from this problem, or if there is a way to fix the problem ahead of time without dropping $12K for a heads and cam job. Finally, I think the C6 ZO6 is a good compromise between the C5’s simplicity and the screaming high performance of the C7 ZO6 just without the $80K price tag.

Finally, I like the C7 not only for its aggressive looks, but also for the technology. (The good tech, anyways) The electronic differential, VVT pushrod V8, updated magnetic ride control, and electronic driving aides all work together to augment the capabilities of the car. While I love the simplicity of past generations, I also appreciate how new tech can make the driving experience better. If I go C7, I’ll probably go for a Z51 or push for the GS. The difference in price for the GS over the Z51 is not substantial, but you get that sweet widebody and track suspension. At the same time, two things that I don’t like are AFM and the relatively high price of entry. My ‘16 Silverado has AFM, and I drive it in manual mode to avoid the V4 to V8 studder and that “chopper” sound when it’s in V4. Sure, a tune can eliminate AFM, but why risk voiding the warranty on a new car? Finally, while the C7 is awesome, how much more pleasure will I get from a $70K car over a $25K to $45K “like new” C5 or C6? My guess is that the increase in pleasure will not be equal to the increase in monthly payment pain after I’ve owned the car for a few years. But then again, there is nothing like being the first owner!

We will see what happens. I’m not in any rush. There does not seem to be a shortage of really nice Corvettes of any model year out there.

gilhuly 10-13-2017 07:30 AM

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum!

Sabre34 10-13-2017 07:54 AM

Welcome aboard!

jehuds10 10-13-2017 08:05 PM

Welcome to the forum!

dahogan 10-13-2017 09:21 PM

Been there done that, follow your instinct! Good luck :thumbs:

rkj427 10-14-2017 11:22 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck in your search and decision.