CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Radio Problems (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4054217-radio-problems.html)

UM Rebel 10-14-2017 02:13 AM

Radio Problems

2004 CE Convertible
Factory radio will not power on. Fuses check good. No radio codes. Clock comes on and runs but will not set. I'm not sure that made sense. Clock starts at 1:00 when battery is first connected and runs from there but the HR/MN buttons are INOP. Radio will not power on. Putt in CD, the cd indicator lights but did not play and can not eject it.. Any ideas? Help! :ack:

Vetteman Jack 10-14-2017 08:29 AM

Moving to C5 Tech.

UM Rebel 10-14-2017 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1595763327)
Seems like this might better be answered in C5 Audio and Electronics. :confused2:

Checked there first but didn't find anything that sounded similar.

rrwirsi 10-14-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by UM Rebel (Post 1595763575)
Checked there first but didn't find anything that sounded similar.

Never had your problem but I have had radio electronic problems in other cars. I replace the stock radio in my Maxima and it did great for 2 years and then just stopped working. Did what you did and still not working. Took the radio out, removed the cover plate and sprayed all the electronics with electrical cleaner. Put it back in and has been functioning for over 5 years. Another thought. If you have a 12 disk player in the trunk, disconnect it and try the radio. Never know what an electrical glitch can do. :flag:

NFL: :ack::salute:

LannyL81 10-14-2017 03:13 PM

UM Rebel: probably a cracked solder joint(s) within the radio somewhere. I have found that many electronic modules including radios develop cracked solder joints over the years. Just need to remove radio, take it apart and use a magnifier to check all the solder joints and/or just reflow every solder joint you can.

If not something you are willing to do, send it to me and I will, no cost other than shipping. Or usually an OEM radio is on ebay.

UM Rebel 10-14-2017 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by LannyL81 (Post 1595764509)
UM Rebel: probably a cracked solder joint(s) within the radio somewhere. I have found that many electronic modules including radios develop cracked solder joints over the years. Just need to remove radio, take it apart and use a magnifier to check all the solder joints and/or just reflow every solder joint you can.

If not something you are willing to do, send it to me and I will, no cost other than shipping. Or usually an OEM radio is on ebay.

Yeh, I'm thinking the OEM route. Research I've done so far it seems that's not as simple as slapping a new head unit in. Looks like I also need an interface (PAC REOM 1 Vet 1) for the factory speakers. Can someone confirm or dispute that?

Thanks for the offer to repair factory radio. I will post how I go on this :cheers:

CactusCat 10-14-2017 08:43 PM

Daddy used to fix em by slappin' em up side the head! Worked on both TVs and radios! :lol:

UM Rebel 10-14-2017 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by CactusCat (Post 1595766108)
Daddy used to fix em by slappin' em up side the head! Worked on both TVs and radios! :lol:

Sometimes works on crazy gf too. :cool::hide:

LannyL81 10-15-2017 09:45 AM

UM Rebel: There is a OEM radio in the Parts section; $105 shipped.
My offer is still good; gives me something to do for a couple of hours in the garage, which is always better than cleaning house!