CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   1 week old 1st scratch - BIG (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4054377-1-week-old-1st-scratch-big.html)

ccbbradford 10-14-2017 04:01 PM

1 week old 1st scratch - BIG

So I am in new home sales and parked at my model home. Little kid tries to squeeze by on his bike, 1ft gap between my car and the curb, and puts a 10-11inch scratch in my new grand sport. Down to through the clear coat and im guessing through the paint at parts.

Anybody in Houston know where I should go for repair? I was told Maik haik off Kirkwood was good. Anybody know how much this would cost to be fixed?
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...628bbdbb5f.jpg

mcoomer 10-14-2017 04:12 PM

Might be better off trying to have that buffed. I'd be very hesitant to have that sprayed without trying to correct it first.

Foosh 10-14-2017 04:15 PM

I think that will likely all buff out, but the picture isn't good enough to tell. The black looks like rubber residue from handlebar grips, which will come right off with cleaner wax.

Worst case is that's an easy respray in a small area given all the edges and seams. Any decent body shop can handle that simple job.

3 Z06ZR1 10-14-2017 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1595764775)
I think that will likely all buff out, but the picture isn't good enough to tell. The black looks like rubber residue from handlebar grips, which will come right off with cleaner wax.

Worst case is that's an easy respray in a small area given all the edges and seams. Any decent body shop can handle that simple job.

IMO!
Just buffing won't quite take it out but wet sanding with 2000 grit and a small cup of water then buffing with a 2 step compound like 3M it will be good as new! If you never have done it! Have someone help you who has experience with it!

Foosh 10-14-2017 04:20 PM

Yes, I agree wet-sanding is the next step if simple buffing doesn't remove it all. Paint is the last resort, if the clear isn't thick enough to make it disappear.

I always start with the least aggressive method and then proceed to the next step as necessary.

ccbbradford 10-14-2017 04:27 PM

When I run my finger nail over it, it grabs big time. And I already have the parents info and they told me to get them a quote. We will see what happens.

LIE2ME 10-14-2017 04:30 PM

Is the kid still among the living? (Just kidding)...:)

ccbbradford 10-14-2017 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by LIE2ME (Post 1595764845)
Is the kid still among the living? (Just kidding)...:)

Yes. What's sad is this is the second kid to hit one of my vehicles and all of the parents/neighbors first ask me, why were you parked there!?

oh I don't know. It's the model home I work out of?where else am I supposed to park.

Chifo Jr 10-14-2017 05:38 PM

Is the car white or silver? If it's white you can wet sand the area to blend out the scratch then fill it with white touch up followed up with a clear. After you let it cure for a few days cut it again with 2500 grit and buff it out. Even though you likely will have someone else cover the cost, you may have much better luck with this approach. I've done it on my kids cars a few times and done right you can't notice the fill at all.

rsvette12 10-14-2017 06:58 PM

Thru the clear coat - paint will be in order - shouldn't be to much to fix especially being straight up white

sTz 10-14-2017 07:03 PM

I agree with the above comments. Try buffing with the least abrasive compound and pad, and work your way up, to include wet sanding if necessary.

If you don’t see the black composite under the paint, then it should work. If it doesn’t, then it’ll cost a few hundred to get it sprayed and blended. Looks like AW, which is good. Silver can be tough to match the metallic flake depth and consistency, albeit, not impossible.

LT4CMG 10-14-2017 07:21 PM

Since the thickness of the clear varies from car to car, from part to part, from surface to surface, you may just want to go straight to wet sand then polish. You don’t want to keep playing with it, risking opening up the clear coat with constant heat and polish. JMO

robert miller 10-14-2017 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mcoomer (Post 1595764761)
Might be better off trying to have that buffed. I'd be very hesitant to have that sprayed without trying to correct it first.

:iagree:

LT4CMG 10-14-2017 08:39 PM

You have a solid color, no worries of metallic shifting. Even if the paint is damaged, someone with experience can wetsand lightly, use a Mack 00 sword brush to fill in the damaged paint, wetsand again, then polish it. Won’t look 100%, but 95% better. Personally, I’d rather do that than have it repainted. I’ve done this many times, comes out well on non-metallic colors.

MerakiAutoworks 10-14-2017 08:53 PM

Ouch. :(

-Josh

SnowyATX 10-14-2017 09:45 PM

Uugghh. Hang in there. Could always be worse my friend.

Cheers

Rick in A-Town

phileaglesfan 10-14-2017 09:55 PM

White vehicles are one of the easiest to maintain/fix. Tint coats, metallics and tri coats are a real pain.

p4snow 10-14-2017 10:15 PM

Richey Collision. Chris and Karen own and specialize in corvettes.

Thunder22 10-14-2017 10:58 PM

re: cost

I don't think that's more than a few hundred tops, even if they respray the entire panel. Is that the right rear fascia where it hits the right rear quarter panel? If so, they can probably just spray that area and blend it because it's a small area and by a 90* corner.

ccbbradford 10-15-2017 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1595766845)
re: cost

I don't think that's more than a few hundred tops, even if they respray the entire panel. Is that the right rear fascia where it hits the right rear quarter panel? If so, they can probably just spray that area and blend it because it's a small area and by a 90* corner.

yes it is.