CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Would I be making a big mistake? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4056675-would-i-be-making-a-big-mistake.html)

wilbur 10-20-2017 02:31 PM

Would I be making a big mistake?

Have you ever sold or thought of selling your classic Corvette to purchase a modern toy to replace it? The reason I ask is because I'm considering selling my 58 (project needing engine rebuild and update the driver paint) to purchase a 2017 Shelby GT350. Would I be making a mistake?

http://i67.tinypic.com/nmap7c.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/a1soat.jpg

sell or keep?

Easy Rhino 10-20-2017 02:34 PM

It would not be a mistake to sell that beautiful car to me.

BR69 10-20-2017 02:35 PM

I say keep it and get the Shelby. This way you won't regret.

Todd H. 10-20-2017 02:37 PM

The opinions are predictable here, Wilbur. To get a good cross section you should ask the same question on the Shelby forum.

Beautiful '58, but if project burn out has set in, sell it.

1snake 10-20-2017 02:40 PM

You're the only one that can answer that question. Do you like working on the car or will you be paying someone to do the work? How much do you drive it? Do you enjoy driving it and is it comfortable? What would you do with the new car and how much would you drive it? Years ago I sold a big block C-3 and bought a brand new Corvette. Never regretted it for a second but I still had my 60 Corvette and Cobra. Don't worry, or listen to what others say. It's your car, do what you feel is the right thing.

Geralds57 10-20-2017 02:42 PM

It would be hard to let go of that car. :thumbs:

Nowhere Man 10-20-2017 02:47 PM

Sell a appreciating car for one that is going to depreciate That’s always a wise finical step. But if you can’t enjoy that 58 and is tired of it and you think that Mustang is the answer go for it.

426 Hemi 10-20-2017 03:00 PM

I remember a couple years back one of our forum members sold his just beautiful silver '63 coupe to get into a C7. He seemed pretty happy at the time. Wonder how that worked out.

OHSIXX 10-20-2017 03:06 PM

Just last week someone sold a C1 and bought a C7. Actually, I think he traded it for the C7 and was very happy about it. :)

Bluestripe67 10-20-2017 03:06 PM

Your '58, since it's an automatic, is calm, cool and quiet. The Mustang is going to be "in your face" on may points. What kind of driving experience do you really want? :toetap: Dennis

dahogan 10-20-2017 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1595802451)
You're the only one that can answer that question. Do you like working on the car or will you be paying someone to do the work? How much do you drive it? Do you enjoy driving it and is it comfortable? What would you do with the new car and how much would you drive it? ........ Don't worry, or listen to what others say. It's your car, do what you feel is the right thing.

:iagree:

cv67 10-20-2017 03:43 PM

x4
op see if theres someone local that will take you out in one for awhile, offer gas + cash. Youll know or have a good idea once the novelty wears off what you want.

Is the new paint a must, looks great the way it is.
Know even new cars break down.. todays stuff is so advanced you have to have a warranty or deep pockets and lots of patience to fix it.
When my CEL light comes on I just stare blankly at it and wished Id gotten rid of it. Over and over...:lol:

MAD IN NC 10-20-2017 03:47 PM

Ive have both new and old.... the Shelby is a beast. I also have a 05 Ford GT and do work on that car myself.... that’s a sweet 58 If ya sell pls let me know....

61 Roadster 10-20-2017 03:49 PM

In a word, yes.

cardo0 10-20-2017 04:20 PM

You're the only one that can answer that question. Do you like working on the car or will you be paying someone to do the work? How much do you drive it? Do you enjoy driving it and is it comfortable? What would you do with the new car and how much would you drive it? Years ago I sold a big block C-3 and bought a brand new Corvette. Never regretted it for a second but I still had my 60 Corvette and Cobra. Don't worry, or listen to what others say. It's your car, do what you feel is the right thing.

:iagree: That's a question that needs to be answered by yourself. I do know that for myself if I didn't own the Vette I have now I would be looking for a hot rod just to tinker with. Sometimes I really feel like swapping my computer controlled camaro for an old school Nova but I realize the modern sports and muscle cars are not what I want to try and modify. You may well be entirely different and good luck to you.:yesnod:

warrenmj 10-20-2017 04:43 PM

You're the only one that can answer that question. Don't worry, or listen to what others say. It's your car, do what you feel is the right thing.

Every other answer here, although well meaning, is pretty much worthless. There is probably way too much other relevant info you left out that would cause someone to give you a recommendation or change the one they already gave you. However, even then, you're the only one that knows the right answer for you:thumbs: Good luck whichever way you go.

wmf62 10-20-2017 05:01 PM

to echo others... the corvette will hold its value, the mustang won't

Bill

MAD IN NC 10-20-2017 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1595803449)
to echo others... the corvette will hold its value, the mustang won't

Bill

Actually Bill, the Shelby’s do pretty good compared to a Mustang. Son has a modded 2013500 and still worth 60% value.

Pilot Dan 10-20-2017 05:13 PM

In general terms, driving one of these old Vettes is a unique driving experience. Just got back from a great top down cruise and I know I would miss not driving that car. Also, with so few compared to new production, it turns heads and brings strong reactions everywhere I go. Can't even say that my mid year gets as much attention. To me it's the unique driving experience and nearly 40 year history that makes it special. If your car is special to you, then you will miss it if you trade it for something that drives more like your DD than a 50's car. How do you feel about the car? Some owners of these cars just are not into working on them and they eventually throw in the towel and buy a new car when they get frustrated or need more creature comforts. Others stick it out and get them well sorted eventualy like I did and drive on contently. Now all I do is gas and go which presents another problem when you like to wrench like I do - but that is another problem. It's a personal decision. :smash:

desertpilgrim 10-20-2017 05:17 PM

Go to the NADA site and look up the 2014 version of the Shelby and see if your system can take the shock. I'd be tempted to rebuild a 327 with a 700R4 & mothball the 283/PG.....