CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   The A8 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4056950-the-a8.html)

iew 10-21-2017 10:57 AM

The A8

The gift that keeps on giving. Multiple times in shop, new TC, Flexplate, and had all the "maybe this will fix it" done. A few weeks ago after a 20 mile trip for lunch when we left it acted like battery was going down, finally started and drove about 3/4 mile. Slowing for a major intersection it just quit. Tried to restart and starter would not turn engine, started smoking. The complete electrical system went down. Had to use the emergency exit to get out. Towed to dealer and is still there nearing a month.
The crankshaft, oil cooler, oil reservoir and all oil lines have to be replaced. But what about all the shrapnel in the engine, no problem we'll just rinse it out. Crankshaft endplay is the problem. The endplay bulleting now applies to 17's & 18's as well.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c4c577a971.jpg
Look at rear mail bearing.

LimeRay 10-21-2017 11:05 AM

Holy Hell Man. Sorry.

Always Red Dave 10-21-2017 11:05 AM

WTF good luck looks like a shot of the plant tour building process.

iew 10-21-2017 11:07 AM

A8 part 2 rear main

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6564b76c4b.jpg

Always Red Dave 10-21-2017 11:08 AM

It seems that the A8's go bad more often in the Stingrays and GS than the Z06's but this shit should not be happening at all.:ack::toetap:

davepl 10-21-2017 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave (Post 1595807098)
It seems that the A8's go bad more often in the Stingrays and GS than the Z06's but this shit should not be happening at all.:ack::toetap:

I can't think of a problematic Z06 A8 that I've seen but they seem to have some serious problems in the Stingray.

What I don't get is that the differences we know about (stronger clutch pack and converter) shouldn't be the "cure all" for the Stingray problems, but they somehow seem to be.

Flame Red 10-21-2017 12:06 PM

OMG - I think you are the winner for the car torn apart in the smallest pieces. In all the threads here I don't think I have ever seen one torn down that far. Was the body on the lift above the top of the first picture?

Just wondering out loud. If that is a 17 or an 18, maybe it would qualify for a lemon. I would be checking my state's requirements.

Red C8 of Jax 10-21-2017 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Flame Red (Post 1595807379)
OMG - I think you are the winner for the car torn apart in the smallest pieces. In all the threads here I don't think I have ever seen one torn down that far. Was the body on the lift above the top of the first picture?

Just wondering out loud. If that is a 17 or an 18, maybe it would qualify for a lemon. I would be checking my state's requirements.

:iagree::iagree: WOW, when you get it back from the dealer, I would immediately put a "FOR SALE" sign in the windshield. You think you had problems before.

b4i4getit 10-21-2017 12:27 PM

GM buyback for sure. No owner should have to go thru this. Sure there will be a few here what will say the dealer will put it back together good as new but the odds are not in your favour. :ack:

3 Z06ZR1 10-21-2017 12:33 PM

Yikes, I just finally bought the A8 in my 17 Z06. Hope this never happens!
You should get the buy back this is bad! G/L! :cheers:

Vetteman Jack 10-21-2017 12:41 PM

Damn, that’s a sad sight. Good luck with the dealer repair and I think I would look into a Lemon Law on that car if it still is eligible or try to get GM to just buy it back.

Maxpowers 10-21-2017 12:53 PM

Wow. Thanks for sharing the pic. I hope this gets resolved for you.

Pisswilly 10-21-2017 01:16 PM

Damn, the A8 is a curse on the Corvette!

Rebel Yell 10-21-2017 02:24 PM

Oh man, that's just ugly my friend. I hope they get her back together correctly. And as it's been said, I'd try to lemon law that thing. And if that fails I'd work like hell to trade it. That thing possessed. Good luck.

azmusclecar 10-21-2017 02:42 PM

This is usually the point where you start parting it out...........
I would be parting my ownership out of it.......it's GM's problem let them own it, the whole enchilada.............

That is sad, very sad............no one should have to go through this.........

WelderGuy 10-21-2017 02:46 PM

So, what year is it, and how many miles are on it?

Kevin A Jones 10-21-2017 02:48 PM

I think I would just leave it at the dealership an go after GM for whatever relief I could get.
Wonder what the chances that this C7 can even be put back together from this mess without on-going issues, plus can't even imagine
how much comedic damage it will receive inside and out as a result.

boraxman 10-21-2017 03:32 PM

Damn - I wouldn't want that car back.

Foosh 10-21-2017 04:06 PM

I hope you've haven't let the "lemon-law" time limitations in your state lapse.

DALE#3 10-21-2017 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by iew (Post 1595807032)
The crankshaft, oil cooler, oil reservoir and all oil lines have to be replaced. But what about all the shrapnel in the engine, no problem we'll just rinse it out. Crankshaft endplay is the problem. The endplay ]
Look at rear mail bearing.

Sucks to go threw that Misery.I'd be in the Nut House.
When they get it Fixed are you gonna be Confident with the next drive not having a issue?? Or the next?
NO WAY IN HELL...Is that Engine clean.Your Cam bearings ain't gonna have normal wear.Were is this reassembly gonna take place? Right in front of that open door blowing shit all around them open bearings and exposed block.
I wouldn't trust the rear area of the block.Would of like to see the old crank in a machine and checked for how out of round it was also.
I wouldn't have faith in the engine.New Engine,Minimum
GM will go cheapest way out.Get the Gloves Out :boxing