CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Does Z51 add value ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4057687-does-z51-add-value.html)

Dave1998 10-23-2017 10:20 AM

Does Z51 add value ?

I would like to hear your thoughts. Is this something a potential buyer would desire if he were looking to buy a C5 ?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e51f13c0f2.png

MikeG37 10-23-2017 10:36 AM

I don't think it'd make a difference. A large % of the buying public wouldn't know what it was to begin with and wouldn't want to pay a $1 more even when told... and the ones that do know (and are really concerned with upgraded handling) would be planning on replacing most of what it included anyway.

knewblewkorvette 10-23-2017 10:43 AM

IMO, nope

Vetteman Jack 10-23-2017 12:05 PM

:iagree: with the others. I wouldn't pay extra for it when shopping for a Vette.

acuevo 10-23-2017 01:08 PM

Keep in mind, Z51 back then wasn't as intense as it is now. Shocks, sway bars and one spring (rear?) if I'm not mistaken. And the power steering cooler. The window sticker that came with mine says its like a 350 dollar option.

On C7 its a much bigger difference, costs more, adds coolers for everything (I think), upgraded diff, shocks and other suspension stuff. Brakes and maybe even the dry sump. I don't recall exactly, but its a lot of stuff.

So on a C5, no not really. Its cheap to upgrade what it does come with (C6 parts) so its not all that advantageous to have it.

Jake the Snake 10-23-2017 02:22 PM

Personally, I'll take the Z51 as my first choice, the last few have had that option.

STALION 10-23-2017 02:51 PM

IMO, YES!

A person totally would, hence why it was an option to begin with. There those who do HPDE and autocross events that would rather have a Z51 package over base. At one point when I was looking for a C6 the minimum I would look at was a Z51, unless there was a smoking deal on a base model. It doesn't necessarily mean that a Z51 would command more money, but from a buyer stand point it would definitely be a preference.

Dave1998 10-23-2017 04:16 PM

These are all good opinions. i bought my 98 at a Nissan dealer used car lot and nobody mentioned it to me and i did not realize Z51 was on my car until i checked out the ordering codes after I bought it. So like many comments, i would not pay extra ,as the general public is unaware what it includes.

66dts-v 10-23-2017 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dave1998 (Post 1595819844)
These are all good opinions. i bought my 98 at a Nissan dealer used car lot and nobody mentioned it to me and i did not realize Z51 was on my car until i checked out the ordering codes after I bought it. So like many comments, i would not pay extra ,as the general public is unaware what it includes.

:withstupid:

There were Z51 stickers on the fenders and the dealer said "I know what a Z06 is, but I have no idea what Z51 means". I knew and was happy to take it off their hands.

acuevo 10-23-2017 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dave1998 (Post 1595819844)

Same thing happened to me! Didn't realize it had it till I saw "Z51" on the glove box sticker and then confirmed it on the original window sticker (which was included :D)

Texan79423 10-23-2017 05:37 PM

I believe the 3.42.rear gear and transmission gearing is worth it. However to a dealership on trade it's a base couple.

evolmotorsprt 10-23-2017 07:09 PM

For someone wanting a stock, excellent condition car maybe they'll appreciate it. I, however, don't care because it's an older car with aging suspension components. There are so many great and inexpensive GM/aftermarnet suspension parts for these cars now that I'd just plan on ripping everything out and setting it up the way that it suits me. This chassis deserves more than what the old FE3 package gives you IMHO.

dbgoodwin 10-23-2017 10:43 PM

I personally wouldn't think so.

If I was looking at two similar cars and one was a z51 while the other wasn't, I would rather the z51. If the base was more than $1000 less I would go that route though, just because I know I wouldn't be happy with the z51 performance and want to upgrade it anyways.

Rob 02 10-23-2017 11:11 PM

Stiffer springs, sways and a power steering cooler have got to be worth a little something.
Not a lot though.

I'm a fan of the Z51 spring rates. The front is like the Z06 while the back spring stiffness is somewhere between the base and Z06. You still get a little rear squat for straight line acceleration. A little less harsh on bumps. I may be in a minority here for liking the Z51 rear spring.

JerriVette 10-23-2017 11:20 PM

I believe z51 package does offer a better product.

The heavy duty nature of the track package offers better durability in daily use. Just in my opinion.

I believe consumers purchasing a preowned vehicle will pay more for a z51 packaged vehicle and found many corvette buyers search out only z51 vehicles..expanding your potiential buyers pool when selling

Is it worth more In Dollars and cents? Not really but in ease of selling a preowned vehicle...I believe it has value.

Many buyers of preowned corvettes specifically look for and demand either z51, grand sport or z06 models to meet their expectations of the full corvette experience.

Is any of this based on reality of different vehicle performance? That's highly debatable.

Still I would only ever purchase new or used a z51, a grand sport and or a z06.

My next corvette will be my fourth new corvette purchase..

I'm leaning towards the 650 hp z06 or maybe a rear mid engine c8 as recently shown.

My favorite corvette so far was my c5 z06 ...that modded car was a bit of a headache because of the mods but it really was over the 65k miles a hell of a raw race car like driving experience

Dave1998 10-24-2017 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1595822889)
I believe z51 package does offer a better product.

The heavy duty nature of the track package offers better durability in daily use. Just in my opinion.

I believe consumers purchasing a preowned vehicle will pay more for a z51 packaged vehicle and found many corvette buyers search out only z51 vehicles..expanding your potiential buyers pool when selling

Is it worth more In Dollars and cents? Not really but in ease of selling a preowned vehicle...I believe it has value.

Many buyers of preowned corvettes specifically look for and demand either z51, grand sport or z06 models to meet their expectations of the full corvette experience.

Is any of this based on reality of different vehicle performance? That's highly debatable.

Still I would only ever purchase new or used a z51, a grand sport and or a z06.

My next corvette will be my fourth new corvette purchase..

I'm leaning towards the 650 hp z06 or maybe a rear mid engine c8 as recently shown.

My favorite corvette so far was my c5 z06 ...that modded car was a bit of a headache because of the mods but it really was over the 65k miles a hell of a raw race car like driving experience

Very well stated :thumbs:

lane_viper 10-24-2017 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by STALION (Post 1595819265)
IMO, YES!

A person totally would, hence why it was an option to begin with. There those who do HPDE and autocross events that would rather have a Z51 package over base. At one point when I was looking for a C6 the minimum I would look at was a Z51, unless there was a smoking deal on a base model. It doesn't necessarily mean that a Z51 would command more money, but from a buyer stand point it would definitely be a preference.

For a few more $$ get a Z06 If your into HPDE and autocross/track events.

Z06 > Z51 in every way!

luffy 10-24-2017 12:49 PM

I think with C5 prices quite low, alot of younger buyers are picking them up and are more open to the firmer ride, less complicated Z51 suspension. I know I didn't see much value in the F45 suspension.

msandym 10-24-2017 04:34 PM

It also includes the performance axle for the auto . I like that option

Tsumi 10-24-2017 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by STALION (Post 1595819265)
IMO, YES!

Anyone looking to do that would be looking to replace to C6 Z06 shocks and C6 Z51 sways at minimum anyways, unless they wanted to track with a bone stock car.