CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Smaller steering wheel? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4058349-smaller-steering-wheel.html)

RedlineGoods.com 10-24-2017 07:59 PM

Smaller steering wheel?

Guys

Have you ever felt you need a smaller, performance steering wheel but didn't want to quit airbag? Looks like we may have a solution for you :-)

We've started with a C6 and will hopefully post the results within no more than 2-3 weeks. Depending on future interest, the C5 wheel will follow :)

So far we have modified core and we are now working on the resin overlay. Here's the comparison of stock steering wheel with smaller, modified core - this should give you some hint of what to expect :)

http://redlinegoods.com/marketing/varia/C6small-01.jpg

http://redlinegoods.com/marketing/varia/C6small-02.jpg

What do you think? Is this something we should proceed with or maybe we're just wasting our time and OEM steering wheel is good enough?

Please let me know :)

Take care

Jack
RedlineGoods Team

neutron82 10-24-2017 08:17 PM

personally it doesn't appeal to me and I also don't like the fat grip wheels that some other companies make, the grip of the stock wheel feels fine... my issue with the c5 wheel is the diameter, it's just a little too big around... now if you were to modify the c6 wheel to work on a c5 and still maintain the airbag I think more people may be interested but that might be out of your level of expertise

UM Rebel 10-24-2017 09:38 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...26b1b0bf71.jpg

cv67 10-24-2017 09:44 PM

Never cared for any airbag steering wheel, bet youll sell plenty.

MBVette 10-24-2017 09:46 PM

A smaller flat bottom steering wheel like my S4 would be awesome. So much easier to handle that then this giant wheel in the corvette

91LSMAN 10-24-2017 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1595828453)
personally it doesn't appeal to me and I also don't like the fat grip wheels that some other companies make, the grip of the stock wheel feels fine... my issue with the c5 wheel is the diameter, it's just a little too big around... now if you were to modify the c6 wheel to work on a c5 and still maintain the airbag I think more people may be interested but that might be out of your level of expertise

Diameter is what they are talking about I believe. You are just looking at the core before padding and leather.

You'll have interest in this. :thumbs:

grantv 10-24-2017 10:40 PM

Is it just me or is there no before and after? I don't know what a stock C6 steering wheel looks like off the top of my head...
That said, I've considered ripping my wheel apart and creating a smaller rim, then putting back together. The C5 unit would be much simpler.
I'm sure there will be some interest...

o2bnkc 10-24-2017 11:39 PM

Could have used a smaller one in my 62. My 02 is fine.

neutron82 10-24-2017 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN (Post 1595829279)
Diameter is what they are talking about I believe. You are just looking at the core before padding and leather.

You'll have interest in this. :thumbs:

I hope so, the way I took it they were making the actual grips smaller on a c6 wheel and were going to do the same with a c5 wheel

Originally Posted by grantv (Post 1595829350)
Is it just me or is there no before and after? I don't know what a stock C6 steering wheel looks like off the top of my head...

both of the steering wheels pictured are from a c6 but the one on the left has been stripped

grantv 10-25-2017 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1595829682)
...both of the steering wheels pictured are from a c6 but the one on the left has been stripped

Yep, got that... my point is they're not actually showing what they're trying to sell.
A before and after pic (side by side if possible) would be best.

jdmvette 10-25-2017 12:39 AM

C5 steering wheel is huge and sucks ass. Would love a smaller option.

striper 10-25-2017 02:07 AM

The C6 steering wheel looks very good in a C5. I have been acquiring the parts to do the conversion a little at a time. Eventually I will get this done, maybe over the winter. But if someone sold a kit with the components that would sure make this easier than trying to find the separate pieces.

DetroitPlac 10-25-2017 10:14 AM

I switched to a 350mm diameter Momo steering wheel, and it transformed the drive. I absolutely love it, but wish I didn't have to ditch the airbag. A 350mm wheel with airbag that doesn't look ricey is a done deal for me.

Vetteman Jack 10-25-2017 10:48 AM

I really do not mind the stock steering wheel. But depending on how your conversion turns out and the price, it could be a popular mod, especially if offered with a variety of leather covering options.

vettes 10-25-2017 11:56 AM

Yes would be interested:lurk:.

tentuna 10-25-2017 12:43 PM

Yes, do you have any details on the modification, for example core needed

knewblewkorvette 10-25-2017 01:30 PM

I would love a smaller steering wheel with a flat bottom (I'm 6'4") but the removal and install of a steering wheel with an air bag scares the heck out of me :willy:

AndyDove 10-25-2017 01:40 PM

Heck yes, the C5 wheel is horrible. Thin rim and huge diameter might be fine for minivans but I don't think it feels right in a modern (relatively) sports car. I'd buy a smaller one for sure! Black alacantra with flat bottom please.

road pilot 10-25-2017 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac (Post 1595831266)
I switched to a 350mm diameter Momo steering wheel, and it transformed the drive. I absolutely love it, but wish I didn't have to ditch the airbag. A 350mm wheel with airbag that doesn't look ricey is a done deal for me.

Different states have different slants on the Fed laws. Alter
the safety equipment on a car that is street driven and you risk
big fines, impoundment and paying lots of money to your lawyer.
I have a car that is heavily mod'ed, in fact I am stopped often
by the police just to look at my car. I have a flat bottom steering
wheel but still has the bag. I would rather have a Momo wheel
but I know better. Something to think about.

Chicago1 10-25-2017 05:03 PM

Would love to change out my 18 wheeler looking steering wheel