CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Steering column lock (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4059308-steering-column-lock.html)

bc6152 10-27-2017 10:49 AM

Steering column lock

I'm aware that there are numerous threads regarding this issue but I couldn't find a definitive answer as to my question:

I ran my VIN and found that the recall for fixing the column locking was still open from almost twenty years ago. I can lock the column after removing the key by turning it until it locks. It unlocks normally.

First, will a Chevrolet dealer still honor the recall, and should I have it done at all since, to my knowledge, there have been no column lock probllems. It is a 1998 auto trans convertible.

TIA

bc6152 10-27-2017 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1595845907)
The dealer has NO CHOICE but to honor a NHTSA recall if it has never been done to the car. The GMVIS if it is still available is the final word on whether GM has already installed the recall. If the car is a manual then the column WOULD lock even after the recall was installed. If the car is an automatic then the column would NOT lock if the recall service had been performed. Safety recalls NEVER expire. The dealer might give you some guff and try to weasel out of doing the recall but they are required by law to provide the recall service if it has not been done. However, they might not have the parts on hand and need to special order them from GM.

All that said, if it were my car and the column still locked I would avoid the dealer like the plague. The current version of the recall service involves replacing the full diameter lock ring with a small diameter lock ring and that means they have to remove the steering wheel and all the plastic trim around the column to gain access to the lock ring. I would NOT trust the Stealership to do the service and not potentially damage any of the parts. The steering wheel can be very difficult to remove (many threads about that on the Forum) and neither the steering wheel nor any of the plastic trim pieces are still available new.

I would order and install the LMC5. It installs directly to the BCM so no special disassembly that might damage 20 year old parts is required.

You might be considering doing nothing at all since by your words from your post "there have been no column lock probllems".

I suggest that might not be a valid approach to determining if the car will experience column lock symptoms in the future. Consider that the MOST common cause of the column lock symptoms is a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections including at the starter. There is no way for you to guarantee that you will not experience a battery issue and that it won't happen when you are far from home and get left stranded with a locked column...

Thanks for the informational reply and suggestions. The open recall was found after running the GMVIS. Now I have decisions to make as to go forward or remain status quo...

CactusCat 10-28-2017 10:40 AM

I suggest you follow 8Vette7's advice. The recall never really fixed the problem so I'd think it would be a no-brainer to not go that way. There are probably hundreds of posts here on CF where the GM "fix" failed to work properly. The LMC5 is reliable, easy to do, and not expensive. I don't think you'll find anyone with more knowledge of the column lock issue than 8Vette7. He knows his stuff. It would be an easy decision for me.

c4cruiser 10-28-2017 12:23 PM

I would suggest that you go with the LMC5 and not bother with the GM recall. The LMC5 is easy to install and will solve the column lock issue. Make sure you do the "Brown wire mod" when you install the LMC5.

bc6152 10-28-2017 01:19 PM

I'll order the LMC5. Viewed the install on youtube. Piece of cake...
Don't want some GM mechanic tearing up my steering wheel.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice.

bc6152 10-28-2017 05:38 PM

OK Thanks for the heads up 8Vette...