CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   No start issue....please help (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4059343-no-start-issue-please-help.html)

STRMLNE 10-27-2017 12:21 PM

No start issue....please help

been having car start issues for a while now. Been through about 4-6 batteries over the last two years. The car was recently looked over for electrical issues, alternator, abnormal draw etc and no problems found. New battery is about a month old. Car ran fine and had no problems. Drove the car yesterday for about 150miles with no problems and car started fine each time.

This morning the car won’t start. Figured it was another battery. Put a new battery in and still won’t start. Car has power, security light on dash comes on, but when you turn the key it makes one loud “click” noise and then that is it. Motor never tries to turn over. Any thoughts? I doubt the starter would just die over night.

twokbolt 10-27-2017 12:48 PM

You may want to check out some of the threads on ignition switch issues. I didn't see that mentioned above as something that was looked over.

CactusCat 10-27-2017 12:50 PM

There's about gazillion threads on this issue and the problem could be related to one of several things. First, 4-6 batteries in two years is weird. I do not think your battery is your problem. There is a thread where Bill Curlee shows how to test for abnormal draw. If you're confident in the party that did the testing, then that's not the problem. So that only leaves 2 or 3 possibilities. Bad connection (several possible places, starter, battery, under battery, etc) bad ground (several possibilities) , bad starter or starter solenoid, and lastly, your ignition switch. As for the detective work, you'll need to do that. Find the threads that talk about the No Start issue and you'll see how to work your way through this. Sorry I can't be more specific but I can't see or test from my end. If you can't find the threads, let me know and I'll post the links for you.

STRMLNE 10-27-2017 12:53 PM

Security light goes out. All lights turn on and then check gauges and check engine light stay on. (Not sure if that is suppose to happen or not)

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1595846506)
What happens to the security light when you turn the key to ON (NOT START) and leave it there for say half a minute?

Stays ON??

Goes OUT??

Blinks??

STRMLNE 10-27-2017 01:06 PM

Thank you. Ignition switch was just replaced maybe 2 years ago. A Chevy dealer is the one that check draw overnight and grounds/connections. I guess that leaves the starter it’s just unusual that I had the same no start symptoms a month ago and a new battery solved the issue but not this time. Thanks.

Originally Posted by CactusCat (Post 1595846522)
There's about gazillion threads on this issue and the problem could be related to one of several things. First, 4-6 batteries in two years is weird. I do not think your battery is your problem. There is a thread where Bill Curlee shows how to test for abnormal draw. If you're confident in the party that did the testing, then that's not the problem. So that only leaves 2 or 3 possibilities. Bad connection (several possible places, starter, battery, under battery, etc) bad ground (several possibilities) , bad starter or starter solenoid, and lastly, your ignition switch. As for the detective work, you'll need to do that. Find the threads that talk about the No Start issue and you'll see how to work your way through this. Sorry I can't be more specific but I can't see or test from my end. If you can't find the threads, let me know and I'll post the links for you.

STRMLNE 10-27-2017 01:30 PM

I checked the voltage on the old battery and it was at 11 V. It is only a month old. In theory a new battery should solve the No start problem but obviously I have an abnormal draw somewhere.

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1595846591)
OK That eliminates the SECURITY feature as the cause.

As the other poster have stated there are several possible causes. The ignition switch would certainly be high on the list as would a sticky solenoid on the starter. Solenoid failures are very common on the C5..

As far as checking if the battery is good do you own a digital multi meter and do you know how to use it??

If so then measure the voltage across the battery posts using it.

The voltage should be greater than 12.5 volts. A good battery at full charge will measure 12.7 to 12.9 volts or more. If the voltage is less than 12.5 volts then likely you have a parasitic current draw occurring if the car started fine yesterday.

CactusCat 10-27-2017 11:06 PM

I read recently in another thread that Advance Auto has a very thorough battery/alternator/charging test that is done for free. If you can get your vehicle going again, it might be worthwhile to get this free test.
Here's the abnormal draw test from Bill Curlee. Get your battery charged up to full strength (12.7-12.9 like 8Vette7 said), then perform this test. It might help you isolate what is causing your battery to drain so quickly. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1567522286
If a fully charged battery doesn't crank your vehicle, then let's try tapping the starter solenoid with a rod or broom handle while someone is trying to start the car. If it kicks in, you've found the culprit, but you're going to have to solve the battery drain problem first because (we all know this) C5s do not like weak batteries...they cause many problems.

STRMLNE 10-31-2017 02:55 PM

Update

Dealer said that the battery drain issue and no start issue was due to a bad starter. Dealer said that the starter was going bad and each time the car started it was drawing far too much from the battery. Starter was replaced wnd vehicle starts fine now (aside from a weird brief whining noise after the starter finishes cranking but I’m told that will go away over a few days. I won’t hold my breath) I’ll probably have to take it back in a few days.

Upsman84 11-01-2017 08:03 PM

2001 C5 A/T no start problems?

Originally Posted by STRMLNE (Post 1595872325)
Dealer said that the battery drain issue and no start issue was due to a bad starter. Dealer said that the starter was going bad and each time the car started it was drawing far too much from the battery. Starter was replaced wnd vehicle starts fine now (aside from a weird brief whining noise after the starter finishes cranking but I’m told that will go away over a few days. I won’t hold my breath) I’ll probably have to take it back in a few days.

FYI Having same problem with mine? What did you do yo remedy this? Thanks!!

STRMLNE 11-04-2017 12:54 PM

Which issue you having?

Originally Posted by Upsman84 (Post 1595882098)
FYI Having same problem with mine? What did you do yo remedy this? Thanks!!