CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Has anyone tried ebay longtube headers less than $300? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4060828-has-anyone-tried-ebay-longtube-headers-less-than-300-a.html)

ArmchairArchitect 10-31-2017 11:55 AM

Has anyone tried ebay longtube headers less than $300?

Can't justify spending over $1k on just headers; has anyone tried headers from various sellers/manufacturers on ebay, and if so, can comment on the quality and performance gains?

Examples:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

luffy 10-31-2017 12:23 PM

I just bought these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-Tube-1...VXdUdi&vxp=mtr

They are arriving tomorrow and I'll install over the next few days. I am going to be using OEM GM gaskets as most seem to think they are the best. I'm also budgeting to replace the hardware that comes with the kit.

I'll update this thread with my comments. It seems like alot of the name-brand header / xpipe systems have fitment issues sporadically, so it it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Robrote 10-31-2017 12:55 PM

I'm with you guys. Back in the day you got a set of Black Jacks for 99 bucks on sale. If you were serious, a set of Hookers for 250.00. A grand for headers? I just don't get it. I guess they're fantastic and all but still.

Booger789 10-31-2017 01:35 PM

These are on Amazon for 250 shipped

grantv 10-31-2017 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Robrote (Post 1595871414)
I'm with you guys. Back in the day you got a set of Black Jacks for 99 bucks on sale. If you were serious, a set of Hookers for 250.00. A grand for headers? I just don't get it. I guess they're fantastic and all but still.

Flash back; wow! Thanks for the memory, totally forgot about Black Jack headers... pretty sure I installed those in my '69 XR7.

ZEEZERO-6 10-31-2017 02:02 PM

what ever brand you choose make sure they fit snug up in the tunnel and don't hang down, you are sure to dent them up which will compromise exhaust flow ...

Shakeydeal 10-31-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Robrote (Post 1595871414)

Yeah I bought headers for a couple hundred bucks back in 1978, when gas was .50/gallon. You do realize that was almost 40 years ago?

I would personally steer clear of 300.00 headers in 2018.

But hey, that's just me.........

Shakey

Robrote 10-31-2017 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal (Post 1595871987)
Yeah I bought headers for a couple hundred bucks back in 1978, when gas was .50/gallon. You do realize that was almost 40 years ago?

I would personally steer clear of 300.00 headers in 2018.

But hey, that's just me.........

Shakey

You didn't have to remind me on how long ago that was. Thanks! :willy:

I'll be anxious to hear the reviews of the $300 ebay parts.

Sids04 10-31-2017 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ZEEZERO-6
what ever brand you choose make sure they fit snug up in the tunnel and don't hang down, you are sure to dent them up which will compromise exhaust flow ...

The dented header will cause very little impact if any . Check out enginemasters on you tube. They tested this out.

Velocity_Vette 10-31-2017 04:06 PM

Headers get a Corvette tax like nobody's business, especially when you consider that many of the name brand headers for other applications such as GM F-bodies with LS are hundreds upon hundreds of dollars less in most every single case. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever that name brand header options for an LS Corvette are +$1,000 even in 2017 when the EXACT same name brands are throwing the same engine family headers for four figures. Sorry not sorry.

Same goes for the $1,200-$1,400 cat backs.

Pounder 10-31-2017 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette (Post 1595872784)
Headers get a Corvette tax like nobody's business, especially when you consider that many of the name brand headers for other applications such as GM F-bodies with LS are hundreds upon hundreds of dollars less in most every single case. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever that name brand header options for an LS Corvette are +$1,000 even in 2017 when the EXACT same name brands are throwing the same engine family headers for four figures. Sorry not sorry.

Same goes for the $1,200-$1,400 cat backs.

:iagree: love my XS Power Headers !!!!(less than 800)

Roddy13 10-31-2017 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pounder (Post 1595872888)
:iagree: love my XS Power Headers !!!!(less than 800)

Biggest junk on the market. Buyers Beware. They may have been good a few years back, but the newer batches are absolute garbage. There is an entire thread here where people got screwed from buying XS power headers, including myself. I ended up being out over $800 on install labour after the shop couldn't get them to install as they wouldn't fit. The vendor refunded my purchase price but not the install labour I lost.

The latest XS power headers do not fit.

Pounder, stop recommending these headers, be a little more clear that you got yours a few years back. I have mentioned this to you before. You might love YOUR older XS Power headers, but the current ones are made with a different jig in a different factory and they are complete crap for fitment. I have told you this before also, and you still post how great these headers are. Maybe you haven't lost $1000 on a crappy product before, but I have and so have other members here. The more you bang the drum on how great your headers are the more likely people are to wind up getting ripped off like I did.

I don't know about you but I do not support manufacturers or vendors that sell products that end up ripping people off.

OP I spent up a small amount with TPS Motorsports, and got a set of LG headers for about a grand. They practically installed themselves they are so well made.

Pounder 10-31-2017 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Roddy13 (Post 1595873142)
Biggest junk on the market. Buyers Beware. They may have been good a few years back, but the newer batches are absolute garbage. There is an entire thread here where people got screwed from buying XS power headers, including myself. I ended up being out over $800 on install labour after the shop couldn't get them to install as they wouldn't fit. The vendor refunded my purchase price but not the install labour I lost.

The latest XS power headers do not fit.

Pounder, stop recommending these headers, be a little more clear that you got yours a few years back. I have mentioned this to you before. You might love YOUR older XS Power headers, but the current ones are made with a different jig in a different factory and they are complete crap for fitment. I have told you this before also, and you still post how great these headers are. Maybe you haven't lost $1000 on a crappy product before, but I have and so have other members here. The more you bang the drum on how great your headers are the more likely people are to wind up getting ripped off like I did.

I don't know about you but I do not support manufacturers or vendors that sell products that end up ripping people off.

OP I spent up a small amount with TPS Motorsports, and got a set of LG headers for about a grand. They practically installed themselves they are so well made.

the thread is about high priced headers, I gave my experience, according to Huron speed they have been corrected ??? with everything you have to do your research !!! (my experience with TPS was not good)

Roddy13 10-31-2017 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pounder (Post 1595873188)
the thread is about high priced headers, I gave my experience, according to Huron speed they have been corrected ??? with everything you have to do your research !!! (my experience with TPS was not good)

I've had a member contact me who purchased recently and his headers do not fit. Absolutely outrageous. He is also out hundreds in install labour.

Smoken1 10-31-2017 05:19 PM

I went with Hinson headers after I saw all the prob's with the XS power stuff. I had no problems with them

Skyhawk23 10-31-2017 05:59 PM

I have a set of the EBay headers. I had it install close to a year now, I have no issue with the headers. The fit and finish is good and once I had it tuned correctly I can feel a few more ponies under my seat. LOL

I even had the EBay X-pipe on as well. No problem at all.

Saved me a lots of Corvette tax

Fast Cars & Horses 10-31-2017 06:46 PM

It's just like recommending anything...for example, I've personally had a bad experience with Ecklers, and if asked, I will not recommend them, but many on this forum have had no issues with them, but I don't expect them to stop giving their point of view. There are good and bad experiences with most products and companies, you just have to do your research and do what works for you and your budget.

no vtec 4me 10-31-2017 06:56 PM

My two eBay exhaust stories:

-Bought a downpipe for my '04 VW GLI, fitment was perfect. Unfortunately, after about a year the weld at the flange that bolted on to the turbo broke off causing my exhaust to exit the turbo and blow right on to my firewall. The fire proofing on my firewall actually caught on fire, luckily i was able to put it out before it caused any real damage.

-Bought a catback for my 350z. Fitment was horrible, tips were crooked, rubbed on the dif, sounded absolutely horrendous, etc. Nothing serious, but always regret even buying it...should have kept the stock exhaust on.

So basically, I've learned its worth the extra money to buy a quality product. If you don't want to spend $1500 on a header/xpipe set up watch for used deals. I picked up a set of kooks headers and x pipe for under $600 shipped a couple months ago.

luffy 10-31-2017 09:29 PM

There's a link above to a header x pipe system that is the same as what I order. It has 2 resonators but doesn't seem to include the middle section that connects to the x pipe. I'm not too bothered by this as I can source the appropriate tubing, but I'll update my post with what I find during installation.

449er 10-31-2017 09:39 PM

Do what you want with your own car...BUT... you get what you pay for, a good set of quality headers will be $1,000, like it or not