CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] Used ZR1 purchase questions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4065374-used-zr1-purchase-questions.html)

Bryan91SE 12-23-2017 02:07 PM

Can I ask why you didn't include the 2009 in your search criteria? Just wondering if there was something about the '09 that you wanted to stay away from. I have a Z06 and am just starting to educate myself on the the ZR1.

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning (Post 1595949662)
I read the issue threads, but the question is have the dealerships completed fixes?

Yesterday, I went to purchase what was advertised as a 2010 ZR1 with 3025 miles " Pristine, one owner, garage kept, showroom condition ZR1 you will not find again. Just an unbelievably well taken care of vehicle". The dealership purchased the ZR1 from a local collector that needed to free up some room.

I showed up at the dealership, and the car looked beautiful in Torch Red. I was told that because the car was so rare, the car couldn't be driven first. First the deal on the car had to be made and accepted, then the car could be driven. I was like ok, that's a little backwards than im used to, but I could understand it to prevent joy rides. The car had been on the lot for a couple week, but nothing crazy. I just thought it was the price.

My concerns with the car was its a double edge sword. The car hasn't been driven enough to determine if the car had any issues, there was no warranty on the car, and the tires could have issues for a vehicle that maybe was driven a couple hundred miles a year. The good side was with so low miles, what issues could it have? The dealership said they did their 100 something point test line.

So, I negotiate what I thought was a good deal on the car. I was really excited with the price. As we are walking out to test drive the car, the sales guys said when they drove it yesterday to fill it was gas, the traction contact light came on the dash. My first expression was “now you tell me?"

I start the car up and let it warm up in the parking lot so I could listen to it. Sounded normal to me. The Traction Control (TC) light was not on, so I drove out of the parking spot. As I let the clutch out, I felt a shimmy/ or a pop on the car, and then the TC light came on. My 1st thought was the pop feeling was the car had been sitting a while im ok with that, but the wobbling was not normal. I drive maybe 50 feet at 10 MPH in the lot before the main road, and I could feel something out of balance. I make about an 8 mile trip around the dealership to determine if it has the vibration issues posted in previous threads around the 75 mile range. My head said this car's got vibration issues at every speed, and I couldn't place the problem if it was the tires out of round, improper balance of the tires, or the rotor issues.

I drove it around the block for a second time hoping that if the tires warmed up, some of the shimmy/vibration would go away, but it didn't.

Power wise and everything else, the car ran smooth and well. I doubt any fluids have been changed on the car, but I wasn't too concerned about it.

Then I noticed the leather on the passenger dash area where the airbag is located has bubble up. The stitching was very loose like it has separated from the harder dash underneath. I had experienced that separation with some C5s - C6s but the separation was on top of the dash. Upon further inspection, the leather from the top of the air vent by the windshield, across the dash to the passenger airbag area looked "stretched and bubbled"

I pulled back into the dealership, and talk with management about the dash separation, and vibration issues to address how/if it can be fixed. I have to go back on Monday to talk with the lead tech to determine the fixes.

1) My questions are having the dash separation been successfully corrected and if so how.

2) Have the pre-2012 ZR1s successfully fix the vibration issue with newer rotors and what was the cost?

Im good with the car if they will fix the issues. Ill let you know how Monday goes.

MTPZ06 12-23-2017 02:36 PM

Off the top of my head, something about launch control differs on the '09 from the rest of the years, but that's nothing that would sway me from buying an 09.

Gary '09 C6 12-24-2017 10:39 PM

^ PTM became standard with the 2010 ZR1 model...that's the difference you are referring to, Mike.

choppychop 12-24-2017 11:23 PM

Just my opinion... that dash looked like it was beyond repairing. I looked at one to purchase that was taken to an upholstery shop with the leather peeling up in a much smaller area. They removed the windshield but could not repair it. I was told they would put in a new dash.
I walked away...
Good luck with the repair. I hope you get it straightened out.
I also have a 2010 Torch red ZR1. Draws people and compliments everywhere it goes.
You'll love it!
:cheers:

MTPZ06 12-25-2017 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1596246598)
^ PTM became standard with the 2010 ZR1 model...that's the difference you are referring to, Mike.

That's it! Thanks Gary :cheers: