CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   Suggestion Please! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4069261-suggestion-please.html)

radz0hh6 11-21-2017 02:35 AM

Suggestion Please!

Fellows! Last night when I started my 2008 Z06, I noticed clicking noise in the engine bay. I open the hood and did not noticed anything unusual but sure the clicking noise is there. I decided to take it to the dealer and after several hours of waiting, here comes the bad news. They said I need a new engine!! btw my car only has 16,300 miles on it so I was in shock. Told them that I will take it to different dealership to ask for second opinion. They then told me to wait and they will contact GM and see if they can atleast help out or something because they quoted me for about 19k for engine and labor. I will find out tomorrow what GM response is. Any suggestions guys? FYI: No engine check light or any indications of any problem...I actually drive it to the dealership and did not loose any power or anything binding.
The more input I can get will give me a better idea on what to do next! :(

SpnkbnkZ06 11-21-2017 03:23 AM

Have you had the guides checked and or replaced on the heads?

radz0hh6 11-21-2017 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by SpnkbnkZ06 (Post 1596013067)
Have you had the guides checked and or replaced on the heads?

Nope everything is still stock.

SpnkbnkZ06 11-21-2017 05:21 AM

I would say it was the guides worn over the dealership jumping to a new motor. Having any other issues IE: low oil psi etc

radz0hh6 11-21-2017 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by SpnkbnkZ06 (Post 1596013132)
I would say it was the guides worn over the dealership jumping to a new motor. Having any other issues IE: low oil psi etc

Everything seems normal..power seems ok except that clicking noise...and no engine alarm notification

SpnkbnkZ06 11-21-2017 06:51 AM

Unfortunately if the guides are worn there will be no warning if a valve drops

radz0hh6 11-21-2017 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by SpnkbnkZ06 (Post 1596013292)
Unfortunately if the guides are worn there will be no warning if a valve drops

Btw is there any other dealership you can recommend? Freeway Chevrolet is the one looking at my car right now.

SpnkbnkZ06 11-21-2017 07:30 AM

No sorry I'm not much of a dealership kind of guy

JaredW 11-21-2017 08:44 AM

Do you have any sort of warranty? If not, I would stop going to dealerships and find a good LS shop near you that can actually diagnose the problem and not just throw a new motor at it.

SpnkbnkZ06 11-21-2017 08:46 AM

Agree with Jared. You're in Chandler give Joe Cordes a call he owns Cordes performance racing in mesa. He will het you squared away. Avoid stealerships at all cost unless warranty

Tonylmiller 11-21-2017 08:49 AM

Did they say why you need a new engine?

EviLS7 11-21-2017 09:18 AM

Hard to believe you would need a new motor if you drove it just fine and no fluids were leaking. Sounds like that dealership is trying to get money out of you and you should take it elsewhere like an actual shop that deals with LS motors. More than likely you will need to get the valve guides replaced or possibly completely new heads which wont be anywhere near $19k. Im with SpnkbnkZ06 I dont deal with stealerships, I did heads and cam myself, but had to take the heads to a local shop to get the valve guides replaced and new valves of course.

Unreal 11-21-2017 09:22 AM

First of all, avoid dealerships unless you are under warranty.

Have it towed to CPR for inspection. Sounds like a lifter/cam going bad, which maybe able to be fixed without a new motor. Still not cheap.

Should have heads inspected and dealt with at same time since most of that has to come off.

FNBADAZ06 11-21-2017 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by radz0hh6 (Post 1596013027)
Fellows! Last night when I started my 2008 Z06, I noticed clicking noise in the engine bay. I open the hood and did not noticed anything unusual but sure the clicking noise is there. I decided to take it to the dealer and after several hours of waiting, here comes the bad news. They said I need a new engine!! btw my car only has 16,300 miles on it so I was in shock. Told them that I will take it to different dealership to ask for second opinion. They then told me to wait and they will contact GM and see if they can atleast help out or something because they quoted me for about 19k for engine and labor. I will find out tomorrow what GM response is. Any suggestions guys? FYI: No engine check light or any indications of any problem...I actually drive it to the dealership and did not loose any power or anything binding.

Maybe a collapsed lifter, but I would take it to Cordes Performance in Tempe before going to a dealership....even if you have an aftermarket warranty. :thumbs:

Wass 11-21-2017 10:54 AM

You were there several hours, they say you need a new engine, and they didn't tell you why?!!

Tonylmiller 11-21-2017 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wass (Post 1596014754)
You were there several hours, they say you need a new engine, and they didn't tell you why?!!

"Your engine is making noise. We won't take the time to diagnose it for you, so we recommend you pay us $19,000 to replace the engine."

Dan_the_C5_Man 11-21-2017 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1596014047)
First of all, avoid dealerships unless you are under warranty.

Have it towed to CPR for inspection. Sounds like a lifter/cam going bad, which maybe able to be fixed without a new motor. Still not cheap.

Should have heads inspected and dealt with at same time since most of that has to come off.

This would be my first assumption as well. :cheers:

Art17 11-21-2017 12:32 PM

Maybe a sticking lifter.

radz0hh6 11-21-2017 01:41 PM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions!!
Here is the update I got this morning.
They contacted GM and they are willing to participate with the repair.
It will cost me 13k out of pocket
GM only requires engine to be take apart to the point of failure and take pictures...also provide the history of repairs/oil changes done with the car prior.
What do you think guys? should I go for it?

Thanks Much!

MTPZ06 11-21-2017 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by radz0hh6 (Post 1596016067)
Thanks guys for all the suggestions!!
Here is the update I got this morning.
They contacted GM and they are willing to participate with the repair.
It will cost me 13k out of pocket
GM only requires engine to be take apart to the point of failure and take pictures...also provide the history of repairs/oil changes done with the car prior.
What do you think guys? should I go for it?

Thanks Much!

No!! $13K for what?! Precisely what did they say failed in your engine that necessitates a complete replacement?

I was thinking failed lifter as well...but that shouldn't wipe out a complete motor. Get your car out of there and towed to CPR like everyone has recommended.