CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   Carbon Flash - New Wheel Option for ZR1 Only (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4073649-carbon-flash-new-wheel-option-for-zr1-only.html)

E.T.D. Corvettes 12-02-2017 04:27 AM

Carbon Flash - New Wheel Option for ZR1 Only

There are four wheel options for the 2019 ZR1: Pearl Nickel, Carbon Flash Painted, Satin Graphite Painted, and Chrome.

The new Carbon Flash option can be seen on the Sebring Orange Convertible ZR1 that was revealed in LA. Be sure to check it out at the LA Auto Show this week if you are able to attend.

According to the order guide, this is for the ZR1 only for the 2019 MY.

Personally, I'm glad they are offering a wheel option that matches the rest of the Carbon Flash painted pieces on the car. (This is the reason I painted my 2014 Stingray wheels in Carbon Flash and why my 2017 GS Tribute wheels have Carbon Flash inner spoke.)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9ae83f8777.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6686d53cbc.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6a6f0094af.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...10cc9b6aaa.jpg

johnglenntwo 12-02-2017 07:26 AM

Oh Boy!?

Originally Posted by rikhek (Post 1596068345)
Press release states wheels are spun forged. I'm damn near speechless.

A $120,000 car with significant power and they're not equipping it with forged wheels. Insanity, especially with them knowing the current C7Z wheels are not up to the task and easily bent.

They put real forged wheels on the ZL1 1LE and CTS-V but not on the ZR1. I'm really just sitting here shaking my head. Surely they can't be this incompetent!?!?!? World class chassis and power unit and then they pull shit like this.

I can't adequately verbalize the stupidity and lack of market awareness demonstrated by this decision. I seriously won't/wouldn't buy one out of principle......

Rick

P.S. Bad enough the wheels look like they're left over from a 1980ish Ferrari. Shame, shame, shame....

He's got these wheels falling off the car!:eek:
Now they are fakely painted?:willy:

tws 12-02-2017 09:06 AM

Is this going to be the only wheel design? I know I'm being petty but this wheel looks bad to me. When was this design on a Ferrari? 1980's

E.T.D. Corvettes 12-02-2017 09:17 AM

There is only one orderable wheel design. Until I saw the ZR1 in person, I felt the wheels were the weakest design element on the car. My impression changed dramatically when I saw the car up close and personal. It surprised me how good they actually look on the car and how they actually compliment the design of the car. I was also surprised by how dramatically my opinion had changed about them.

DebRedZR1 12-02-2017 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1596089819)
There is only one orderable wheel design. Until I saw the ZR1 in person, I felt the wheels were the weakest design element on the car. My impression changed dramatically when I saw the car up close and personal. It surprised me how good they actually look on the car and how they actually compliment the design of the car. I was also surprised by how dramatically my opinion had changed about them.

Somethings show much better in person than pics :thumbs:

E.T.D. Corvettes 12-02-2017 09:29 AM

Yes, and the wheels and high wing are two things that definitely do so on the ZR1.

BMadden 12-02-2017 06:49 PM

Not trying to pick a fight, but I don't see how those wheels could possibly look any better in person. They are a completely underwhelming design, almost identical to what was on a mid-80s Testarossa. The standard Z06 and Grand Sport wheels are light years better looking IMHO.

elegant 12-02-2017 09:11 PM

An interestingly irony, that whereas the ZR1 has the most standard visible carbon fiber and thus the least amount of carbon flash black metallic painted items, the wheels of the ZR1 have a carbon flash black metallic option, whereas the SR’s/GS’s/Z06’s which have a lot of carbon flash black metallic items standard, do not offer a carbon flash wheel option.

tws 12-02-2017 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by BMadden (Post 1596093116)
Not trying to pick a fight, but I don't see how those wheels could possibly look any better in person. They are a completely underwhelming design, almost identical to what was on a mid-80s Testarossa. The standard Z06 and Grand Sport wheels are light years better looking IMHO.

I agree! I wish I could just get zr1 supercharger on z06. I think grand sport and z06 are much better looking car than the zr1.

Gary '09 C6 12-02-2017 10:42 PM

I'm not a fan of the wheels, either...

E.T.D. Corvettes 12-03-2017 01:34 AM

I totally understand! But here's the "in person" difference (IMHO)...in photos, you really cannot perceive the depth aspect of the wheels. In person, the inner part of the wheels present a depth that is pretty cool. Again, it's all opinion, but I was shocked that my opinion changed like it did on Tuesday night after spending time with the two ZR1s in LA.

mdiiulio 12-03-2017 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1596089130)

So what I see here is that they're already chipped. lol :rofl:

Always Red Dave 12-03-2017 11:52 AM

If I had to get one wheel choice it would be the CF wheels but I still like the ALL Black wheels best.

3 Z06ZR1 12-03-2017 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tws (Post 1596089746)
Is this going to be the only wheel design? I know I'm being petty but this wheel looks bad to me. When was this design on a Ferrari? 1980's

Since you broke the ice! REAL bad carbon flash looks bad as well! :leaving:

3 Z06ZR1 12-03-2017 03:53 PM

Plus the front is an odd size. They could weigh more too the spokes are very thick and heavy looking. Your right the C6Zr1 -C7-GS machined cups look 100 times better! :cheers:

HolyRoller 12-03-2017 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by elegant (Post 1596093940)
An interestingly irony, that whereas the ZR1 has the most standard visible carbon fiber and thus the least amount of carbon flash black metallic painted items, the wheels of the ZR1 have a carbon flash black metallic option, whereas the SR’s/GS’s/Z06’s which have a lot of carbon flash black metallic items standard, do not offer a carbon flash wheel option.

[Norm MacDonald, SNL News] "GM knows this makes no sense whatsoever; they just like irony."

themonk 12-03-2017 10:07 PM

I'm just wondering if they are not using a CF wheel because they want to keep the costs down, I mean the GT350R has them, why not the ZR1?

sTz 12-03-2017 11:06 PM

Nice! I prefer Carbon Flash to Gloss Black too :thumbs:

I’m surprised that they didn’t offer carbon fiber wheels as an option. Expensive, but I’m sure that many would have ordered them...

3 Z06ZR1 12-03-2017 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1596100878)
I'm just wondering if they are not using a CF wheel because they want to keep the costs down, I mean the GT350R has them, why not the ZR1?

Dude that makes no sense carbon fiber or carbon flash? GT350R has what?
Carbon fiber wheels are very high how would that hold the cost down? :willy:

99HRDTP 12-04-2017 07:15 AM

Wish they would offer true CF wheels as option

rob62 12-04-2017 08:42 AM

I'm sick of round wheels. They've been doing this since the cave man. Come on GM.

3 Z06ZR1 12-04-2017 02:17 PM

:iagree:
They are awful, look at the finish around the lug holes seems they have dirt and a hair in the paint. Those are the worst looking Corvette wheels ever put on a modern Corvette!

themonk 12-04-2017 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1596101235)
Dude that makes no sense carbon fiber or carbon flash? GT350R has what?
Carbon fiber wheels are very high how would that hold the cost down? :willy:

I don't know what you're getting at here, I said I wonder if they're not using them because they want to keep the costs down.

https://jalopnik.com/the-shelby-gt35...use-1717009943

The 2016 Ford Mustang GT350R is the first proper production car to come standard with carbon fiber wheels, and the front pair uses the same ceramic plasma arc spray-on heat protection what NASA put on the original Space Shuttle’s main fuel pump turbine blades. That should do it!

Carbon fiber wheels are something else. They work brilliantly on the world’s most powerful electric bike (which I tried out and found amazing), and of course Christian von Koenigsegg came up with a way to make them weigh just 13 pounds each.

K-Segg’s wheels are hollow and hold up pretty well at crazy speeds, but a set of Aircores will set you back by more than what an average family sedan costs. To be exact, 60,000 Euros without taxes but with the Michelins included.

While BMW is toying with the idea of affordable carbon fiber wheels, Ford acted faster by teaming up with the experts at Carbon Revolution to create something that can be mass produced at an affordable price, but also take the abuse on track.

To turn them into OEM products, the wheels had deal sufficiently with curb strikes, UV and chemical exposure and extreme heat. Ford claims despite what people think, hitting a curb with these babies won’t be an issue:

One of the most severe tests for wheels in the Ford development process involves striking a curb at speed – a test that, without proper design, can cause serious wheel and tire damage. Because of the light weight, advanced construction methods and resins in the wheels, along with the highly-developed MagneRide dampers, the suspension was able to react so fast that the driver wasn’t sure the test had been carried out correctly and ran it twice to be sure. The suspension response was fast enough to greatly diminished the severity of the impact – that’s the power of minimizing unsprung weight.

The Shelby GT350R’s brakes also create rotor temperatures in excess of 1,650 degrees Fahrenheit (900 degrees Celsius), but Carbon Revolution’s thermal barrier coating system takes care of that as well using a multistage, multimaterial coating formulation. They use a plasma arc gun to liquefy a ceramic material, and then the wheels are coated at critical points around the inner wheel “barrel” and on the back of the spokes.

The result is a thin, “nearly diamond-hard coating” that allows continuous track use “by even the most aggressive drivers.”

That’s not the end of it though, because they also had to come up with new precesses to create a smooth finish despite the additional UV and chemical protection. High-gloss black is what you get.

The complete build process goes like this:

Manufacturing carbon fiber wheels begins with the creation of the preformed internal carbon structure, composed of precisely manufactured carbon strands arrayed into woven fabrics. The elements are then placed into a mold using state of the art manufacturing techniques.

An RFID chip with a unique tracking number is embedded in this structure, and each wheel is individually entered into a quality assurance system. Once this structure is assembled, it’s infused with resin and cured at high temperatures.

This process results in a one-piece wheel that ensures maximum strength – eliminating the need to bond or glue the wheel’s spokes and barrel components together.

As the wheel cures, 61 individual checks and more than 246,000 data points are logged before it’s released from the machine. To guarantee quality parts, the cured wheels are analyzed using a 3D computerized tomography (CT) imaging process in which more than 18,000 X-ray images are taken. If the wheel passes inspection, it undergoes machining for the valve stem and mounting hardware holes before it gets painted, coated, assembled, dimensionally checked and shipped to Flat Rock Assembly Plant for installation on a new Shelby GT350R Mustang.
The resulting wheels weigh 18 pounds instead of 33 like an alloy. That’s a pretty significant reduction in unsprung weight and rotational inertia.

Ford says they lost 60 pounds while making the wheels stiffer as well, so they believe “this is a game changer for the industry.” Well, it sure looks like it!

Dave_the_Dude 12-04-2017 03:15 PM

I can't stand split-spoke wheel designs. Looks tacky and a pain in the rear to clean.

IMHO, it's really hard to beat that classic Cragar look. Of course, I've never cared about wheels and don't understand the obsession with them at all. I just want some strong, lightweight wheels that are easy to clean, and I'm good.

3 Z06ZR1 12-04-2017 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1596105272)
I don't know what you're getting at here, I said I wonder if they're not using them because they want to keep the costs down.

https://jalopnik.com/the-shelby-gt35...use-1717009943

The 2016 Ford Mustang GT350R is the first proper production car to come standard with carbon fiber wheels, and the front pair uses the same ceramic plasma arc spray-on heat protection what NASA put on the original Space Shuttle’s main fuel pump turbine blades. That should do it!

Carbon fiber wheels are something else. They work brilliantly on the world’s most powerful electric bike (which I tried out and found amazing), and of course Christian von Koenigsegg came up with a way to make them weigh just 13 pounds each.

K-Segg’s wheels are hollow and hold up pretty well at crazy speeds, but a set of Aircores will set you back by more than what an average family sedan costs. To be exact, 60,000 Euros without taxes but with the Michelins included.

While BMW is toying with the idea of affordable carbon fiber wheels, Ford acted faster by teaming up with the experts at Carbon Revolution to create something that can be mass produced at an affordable price, but also take the abuse on track.

To turn them into OEM products, the wheels had deal sufficiently with curb strikes, UV and chemical exposure and extreme heat. Ford claims despite what people think, hitting a curb with these babies won’t be an issue:

One of the most severe tests for wheels in the Ford development process involves striking a curb at speed – a test that, without proper design, can cause serious wheel and tire damage. Because of the light weight, advanced construction methods and resins in the wheels, along with the highly-developed MagneRide dampers, the suspension was able to react so fast that the driver wasn’t sure the test had been carried out correctly and ran it twice to be sure. The suspension response was fast enough to greatly diminished the severity of the impact – that’s the power of minimizing unsprung weight.

The Shelby GT350R’s brakes also create rotor temperatures in excess of 1,650 degrees Fahrenheit (900 degrees Celsius), but Carbon Revolution’s thermal barrier coating system takes care of that as well using a multistage, multimaterial coating formulation. They use a plasma arc gun to liquefy a ceramic material, and then the wheels are coated at critical points around the inner wheel “barrel” and on the back of the spokes.

The result is a thin, “nearly diamond-hard coating” that allows continuous track use “by even the most aggressive drivers.”

That’s not the end of it though, because they also had to come up with new precesses to create a smooth finish despite the additional UV and chemical protection. High-gloss black is what you get.

The complete build process goes like this:

Manufacturing carbon fiber wheels begins with the creation of the preformed internal carbon structure, composed of precisely manufactured carbon strands arrayed into woven fabrics. The elements are then placed into a mold using state of the art manufacturing techniques.

An RFID chip with a unique tracking number is embedded in this structure, and each wheel is individually entered into a quality assurance system. Once this structure is assembled, it’s infused with resin and cured at high temperatures.

This process results in a one-piece wheel that ensures maximum strength – eliminating the need to bond or glue the wheel’s spokes and barrel components together.

As the wheel cures, 61 individual checks and more than 246,000 data points are logged before it’s released from the machine. To guarantee quality parts, the cured wheels are analyzed using a 3D computerized tomography (CT) imaging process in which more than 18,000 X-ray images are taken. If the wheel passes inspection, it undergoes machining for the valve stem and mounting hardware holes before it gets painted, coated, assembled, dimensionally checked and shipped to Flat Rock Assembly Plant for installation on a new Shelby GT350R Mustang.
The resulting wheels weigh 18 pounds instead of 33 like an alloy. That’s a pretty significant reduction in unsprung weight and rotational inertia.

Ford says they lost 60 pounds while making the wheels stiffer as well, so they believe “this is a game changer for the industry.” Well, it sure looks like it!

Well "I wonder why if they are not using carbon fiber wheels to keep the costs down?" Is most certainly a VERY silly question at best.

Could have saved all that no one is arguing that carbon fiber is not lighter and better for performance.

themonk 12-04-2017 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1596105965)
Well "I wonder why if they are not using carbon fiber wheels to keep the costs down?" Is most certainly a VERY silly question at best.

Could have saved all that no one is arguing that carbon fiber is not lighter and better for performance.

dude, what are you on?

1) Why is "why are they not using a CF wheel" a silly question?
2) Who the f'k is arguing?
3) You're making more out of this than any sane person should.

3 Z06ZR1 12-04-2017 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1596106240)
dude, what are you on?

1) Why is "why are they not using a CF wheel" a silly question?
2) Who the f'k is arguing?
3) You're making more out of this than any sane person should.

1. To finish you left out the "because they want to keep the costs down" it was a good oxymoron all in one sentence ! That was my only point! :rofl:

themonk 12-04-2017 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1596106745)
1. To finish you left out the "because they want to keep the costs down" it was a good oxymoron all in one sentence ! That was my only point! :rofl:

except I didn't say "to keep the costs down why didn't they use CF wheels?", I wondered if the reason why they didn't use CF wheels was because they wanted to keep the costs down.

RIF so is comprehension man. :cheers:

c5c6c7 02-24-2018 10:48 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the Satin Graphite painted rims?

E.T.D. Corvettes 02-24-2018 11:28 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b47d81d4e9.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...55660f9efb.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e2a4ad56e0.jpg

sunsalem 02-25-2018 02:08 AM

The wheels will have to be kept super-clean in order for anyone to notice the carbon flash, otherwise brake dust will completely hide it.

bizaro 02-25-2018 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by tws (Post 1596089746)
Is this going to be the only wheel design? I know I'm being petty but this wheel looks HORRIBLE. When was this design on a Ferrari? 1980's

fixed:thumbs:

c5c6c7 02-25-2018 07:07 AM

Has anyone seen the polished Aluminum?

DebRedZR1 02-25-2018 08:54 AM

Any of you voicing your dislike have seen them in person or better yet are buying a ZR1 ? Don't like the wheels, don't buy it or change them after. They look much better in person.
I'd prefer to see more carbon flash trim options vs all the carbon fiber.

Paulchristian 02-25-2018 12:57 PM

I’ll pass...I don’t like glitter on my rims. Graphite is the way to go in my opinion

rob62 02-25-2018 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1596665928)
The wheels will have to be kept super-clean in order for anyone to notice the carbon flash, otherwise brake dust will completely hide it.

CC's don't develop brake dust unless you are intentionally trying to kill your pads. Literally 300 miles and they will pass a white glove test. A nice perk.

D'ZR1 Messiah 02-26-2018 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by rob62 (Post 1596670339)
CC's don't develop brake dust unless you are intentionally trying to kill your pads. Literally 300 miles and they will pass a white glove test. A nice perk.

:iagree:I was thinking this as well.

sunsalem 02-26-2018 08:23 PM

Makes me wish I had CCs...:(

Donzo6 10-20-2018 01:58 AM

CCs ??

D'ZR1 Messiah 10-20-2018 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Donzo6 (Post 1598191554)
CCs ??

Carbon Ceramic

Donzo6 10-20-2018 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by D'ZR1 Messiah (Post 1598191692)

Carbon Ceramic

Brake pads than?

rob62 10-20-2018 05:19 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...90307b8c61.jpg