CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4075354-when-titans-collide-the-gt2-rs-vs-the-2019-zr1.html)

Curated Content Editor 12-06-2017 12:59 PM

When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS Vs The 2019 ZR1
By Brett Foote

This epic pair of supercars debuted mere weeks apart. Which means it's time for a detailed comparison to see which one will come out on top!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6f9db1fd9b.jpg

KnightDriveTV 12-06-2017 01:55 PM

ZR1 isn't running 6:48...let's just put that wish aside....lol. Let's look to beat ACR at 7:01 instead...that's a reasonable goal and one I think is definitely possible. We may need more than Mero though. 2 cars, 2 drivers, all in.

elegant 12-06-2017 02:05 PM

C7.R driver Oliver Gavin is going to be at least one of the ZR1@‘Ring drivers. He already did some laps in it at the ‘Ring several months ago, and has said publicly he is going back this Spring.

SBC_and_a_stick 12-06-2017 02:19 PM

3 pedals on the floor is where it is at. The winner is ZR1 from the start for me. Congratulations to GM for offering a 750hp option with a proper transmission.

ZO ZICK 12-06-2017 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick (Post 1596121107)
3 pedals on the floor is where it is at. The winner is ZR1 from the start for me. Congratulations to GM for offering a 750hp option with a proper transmission.

:iagree:

KnightDriveTV 12-06-2017 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick (Post 1596121107)

There is that factor for sure....

Vette_Pilot 12-06-2017 04:11 PM

I wonder will the Stealerships let you test drive one if they good and well you're not going to buy one. :D

ecmoney775 12-06-2017 04:16 PM

GT2RS will Dominate the ZR1 in every catagory Imo

thegame 12-06-2017 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ecmoney775 (Post 1596122185)

except price.... However those Porsche Gt cars do seem to hold their value very well and even go up sometimes. I think a 997 GT2RS now sells for more than it did new.

ZoratZ06 12-06-2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by ecmoney775 (Post 1596122185)

There's no real precedent to feel that way. Previous generation GT3RS and GT2RS have not 'beaten' the Z06 and ZR1. So why now? No reason to think the ZR1 will be any slower than the GT2RS in 'most' metrics.

The 'Ring' will be the only place the GT2RS likely beats it (IMHO)...that is probably due to the full on factory effort. I think GM will try hard, but they won't make it their 'ethos' to be the fastest car ever at the Ring, like Porsche has...I think anything sub 7mins is a win for them.

Otherwise, at MRLS (and most tracks), drag strip, handling, braking etc..I think the ZR1 will do quite well against the GT2RS. They should be very close over all, except in price :D The last generation did very well....so I suspect this one will too. :cheers: Time will tell...

Boba Fett 12-06-2017 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. (Post 1596120890)
ZR1 isn't running 6:48...let's just put that wish aside....lol. Let's look to beat ACR at 7:01 instead...that's a reasonable goal and one I think is definitely possible. We may need more than Mero though. 2 cars, 2 drivers, all in.

Totally agree. Beating the ACR should be the goal...maybe not that easy, but totally doable I believe with the new ZR. Besting the Porsche at the ring is another story and I don't see that happening. Rem, the ring is home, and they got the funds. You have to consider all factors.

KnightDriveTV 12-06-2017 06:45 PM

That GT2RS is just a next level car in every way. I think putting an American car in the 6's is the true objective. You have Germany and Italy represented with cars that are unobtainable, prohibitively expensive and truly exotic...the ZR1 will be none of those. So, you put the ZR1 in the 6's and regardless of the fact I'm not a huge fan of the ZR1 in particular, it's a HUGE marketing win that will lead to a core enthusiast group of customers in the future...for decades. Not to mention, true global recognition of something ridiculous out of Kentucky. First American production car to do 6's at the ring...that's a title that only comes once and thank God ACR left that door opened.

\Boost Monkey/ 12-06-2017 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. (Post 1596123458)
That GT2RS is just a next level car in every way.

/Thread.

Adding fixed aero and some power doesn’t quite equal the likes of rear axle steering, model specific race chassis, titanium exhaust, magnesium wheels, and NASA designed brake cooling vents just for good measure.

A pubic hair under 7 will impress me greatly if they can get it.

Snorman 12-06-2017 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. (Post 1596120890)

It has over 100 more horsepower than the ACR, likely similar downforce where needed, at least as much mechanical grip and very comparable braking.
I would predict the ZR1 could run a mid-:50 under the right conditions with the right driver. Possible a bit faster.
The biggest issue is not the GT2 RS per se, it's the fact that Porsche has access to the Nurburgring that few manufacturers enjoy. They have the luxury of it being in their own backyard. They have tested very extensively. They ran 918's there for WEEKS and had large blocks of time allocated for the GT2 RS lap attempts (several 2 hour time blocks over a 2-day period). Compare that with the VE ACR attempts...where they had a couple of 30-minute blocks of time.
Porsche shows up with several cars, several drivers and a team of engineers.
S.

keagan 12-06-2017 11:10 PM

Lets hope we do get a time, hoping GM ain’t going the route Ford took with the GT. That is the most non talked about hot car this year! As for the Viper being the target? Ha, it’s easy to beat a car that is dead. We have years to do it.

HPT 12-07-2017 01:39 AM

I'll be getting both early in production, and I'm not expecting the ZR1 to perform at the level of the GT2.

mammoth713 12-07-2017 02:52 AM

if someone wanted to actually purchase a GT2 RS... probably impossible even if you had the $$ tho right? Are they limited production?

ZR1 should be widely available if you have the $$

Telepierre 12-07-2017 03:47 AM

PURE TRACK the GT2 RS has "probably" an edge but just to be clear this is how the GT2 RS did the latest 6:48 RING (besides all the good points from SNORMAN..I mean Porsche did deploy the proverbial elephant gun…):

1. OEM Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 'N2',
2. OEM 'Weissach Package'. Selected substitution of few components with lighter ones. 40 pounds
3. OEM deletion of audio and communication system...
4. Porsche Motorsport bucket seat and harness on driver's side... code word for we took the other seat out and
5. deletion of acclimatization system

So they stripped the car.. got it! BRAVO!.......

BUT If we look at this duel on a wider range of attributes to include post track performance (see sales of z06...and "Joe" want's looks, comfort, open air and bragging HPs!) then and I am willing to bet the ZR1 is far better gran turismo.. (that's what GT stands for afterall..) and better at the 500 mile drive (noise, comfort, overall experience/performance).

Maybe the 911 GT2 has more of a rarity pedigree and the German 'aura" = great trophy/good car/expensive but this is more marketing than actual performance.

I suppose Tadge is not going to “bite” (nor should) on the Nurb pomp and glitz show..

Just send the ZR1 there as per 2009/2012. Pure factory (no stripping) + safety gear (driver in jeans....ok just kidding...:-) but they should have the stereo blasting just for fun..) post a respectable sub 7 time and state you can buy a super, hyper, exotic, uber, mega or whatever those cars are called nowadays..OR a ZR1 AND BTW we did not strip the car.. you can do that yourself free of charge…

It would be interesting to see who wins on the way to the bank..

MY2C

Stingray23 12-07-2017 03:52 AM

I dont believe any numbers porsche or ferrari puts out.

Monkey D. Luffy 12-07-2017 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. (Post 1596123458)
That GT2RS is just a next level car in every way. .

:iagree: :iagree::iagree:

Now go down to your local Porsche dealership and try and order one.....Let me know how that worked out for ya.