CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Engine Failure (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4075526-engine-failure.html)

racehorse00 12-06-2017 06:40 PM

Engine Failure

I have a 2014 corvette with 30k miles and a LIngenfelter 700hp package. A lifter failed, was subsequently ground down by the cam and metal shavings circulated throughout the engine. I need to replace the block, piston, crank, etc. GM won’t warranty the problem because the computer seatings were changed to accommodate the after market parts. Anyone know where I can get OEM parts at a discount? Thanks

Jmcdude 12-06-2017 06:48 PM

Search is your friend :yesnod:

Piston search:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=67801499

Crank search:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=67801544

Best discounts I found on new:
https://www.generalmotorspartsonline...at/engine-scat

fsvoboda 12-06-2017 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by racehorse00 (Post 1596123412)
I have a 2014 corvette with 30k miles and a LIngenfelter 700hp package. A lifter failed, was subsequently ground down by the cam and metal shavings circulated throughout the engine. I need to replace the block, piston, crank, etc. GM won’t warranty the problem because the computer seatings were changed to accommodate the after market parts. Anyone know where I can get OEM parts at a discount? Thanks

Talk to Lingenfelter. Don't they have a warranty?

:cheers:

racehorse00 12-06-2017 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by fsvoboda (Post 1596123494)
Talk to Lingenfelter. Don't they have a warranty?

They do but don’t warrant OEM parts. Thanks

bbrown450 12-06-2017 09:47 PM

Huh ?

Originally Posted by racehorse00 (Post 1596124835)
They do but don’t warrant OEM parts. Thanks

Riteaidkid84 12-06-2017 11:03 PM

This seems rediculious. Huh... 30 K is not a lot of miles, how much did you beat the shit out of this. Kudos to you for driving it!😂😂

red62vette 12-06-2017 11:10 PM

I'm confused too. Does Lingenfelter use stock lifters for a 700 HP build? If so, then it's not surprising they failed. When I build my 650 HP BBF for my Cobra, every part was upgraded/strengthened.

racehorse00 12-07-2017 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by red62vette (Post 1596125360)
I'm confused too. Does Lingenfelter use stock lifters for a 700 HP build? If so, then it's not surprising they failed. When I build my 650 HP BBF for my Cobra, every part was upgraded/strengthened.

LIngenfelter told me they use OEM lifters for their 1000hp package

breakskeet 12-07-2017 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by red62vette (Post 1596125360)

Originally Posted by racehorse00 (Post 1596125808)
LIngenfelter told me they use OEM lifters for their 1000hp package

Callaway uses stock lifters in their 757hp 777lb.ft build so I don't think that the lifter is too weak. Sounds like unfortunate bad luck.

OP have you got a ballpark figure for the cost of the parts plus labor? I see LT1 crate engines for 10k online. Just a thought that you could plug and play a zero mile motor and then put the Lingenfelter parts back on.

Hope you get her back together soon!

Ramler 12-07-2017 06:41 AM

If that is the way Lingenfelter handles their warranty, I think we should all stay away from them as suppliers.

Vetteman Jack 12-07-2017 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear about the engine failure. That really sucks, especially with no warranty coverage. Best of luck finding a new engine and all the parts you need.

fatsport 12-07-2017 11:03 AM

Sorry about your luck.
Hope you can push Lingenfelter harder on this, they should at least be pitching in.

Martman C7 12-07-2017 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ramler (Post 1596126147)
if that is the way lingenfelter handles their warranty, i think we should all stay away from them as suppliers.

+1000

Many times we go to these "big name vendors, ie. Calloway, Eddlebrock, Lingenfelter" because they offer the warranty. If they're going to deny warranty because engine has "factory parts", what a bunch of bullsh*t.

AORoads 12-07-2017 01:52 PM

I wouldn't put all aftermarket engine builders who offer a warranty with their product in the same category; we have heard/read nothing that says they do the same as Lingenfelter.

onyx_z71 12-07-2017 02:41 PM

Here's an option if your car is a wet sump.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...51-brakes.html

Martman C7 12-07-2017 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1596129399)
I wouldn't put all aftermarket engine builders who offer a warranty with their product in the same category; we have heard/read nothing that says they do the same as Lingenfelter.

I wasn't saying anything negative about the others, just pointing out that we often use them "for the warranty".

hiperfman 12-07-2017 05:15 PM

Just like most things in life "Buyer beware" but a claim that warranty approved coverage seems lost on some aftermarket dealers. :thumbs:

phileaglesfan 12-07-2017 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1596129399)

:iagree: Callaway seems like a stand up company. It doesn't make sense that a reputable engine aftermarket company would not cover stock engine parts that they were either too lazy or too cheap to change. Apparently their parts caused the OEM parts to fail.

breakskeet 12-07-2017 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Martman C7 (Post 1596127888)
+1000

Many times we go to these "big name vendors, ie. Calloway, Eddlebrock, Lingenfelter" because they offer the warranty. If they're going to deny warranty because engine has "factory parts", what a bunch of bullsh*t.

You shouldn't put CALLAWAY in with the others. They have an exclusive working agreement with GM for GM to service Callaway cars at GM dealerships. Callaway's mods do not block a new car warranty and their warranty supplements GM's. If this situation would of happened to my car, the engine would of been covered. Go on their website and read how their warranty and service works.

breakskeet 12-07-2017 08:16 PM

Here is how Callaway's warranty works:

What to do if your Callaway has a problem.

Callaway engineers have performed extensive vehicle testing and validation in order to ensure that your Callaway provides reliable service. However, if a problem should arise that requires technical attention, please follow this procedure:

Contact your closest Callaway-Authorized GM Dealer and discuss the symptoms with the Dealer’s Service Manager. If required, make an appointment with the Dealer to bring the car in, or have the car transported to the Dealer, per the Dealer’s recommendation. If there is no Callaway-Authorized Dealer nearby, you may follow this procedure with your closest Buick, Chevrolet, GMC or Cadillac Dealer.

If you bring your car to a Dealership that is not a Callaway-Authorized Dealer, please be sure to tell the Service Manager to contact Callaway Technical Service upon arrival, prior to performing any vehicle diagnostics. This will facilitate quicker, more satisfactory repair.

For accurate, timely updates, always contact the Dealership regarding the status of your Callaway’s repair, not Callaway.

When your Callaway was assembled, Callaway affixed a label to its under-dash diagnostic port in order to prevent the dealer from recalibrating or updating the ECM (engine control module) without contacting Callaway first. If the Dealer informs you that they plan to re-flash or update the ECM calibration, please remind him to contact Callaway first to arrange for re-installation of the Callaway calibration. Otherwise, “Service Engine Soon” lights will be triggered and poor engine performance will result.

Do not pay the Dealer for any Callaway-associated warranty repairs. Callaway policy is to reimburse the Dealer directly for all applicable warranty-associated parts and labor.

Callaway 3 year / 36,000 mile Limited Warranty
Standard Equipment on all new Callaway cars and trucks

Unlike other aftermarket warranties, Callaway provides a comprehensive warranty program that works in tandem with General Motors’ OEM warranties, providing seamless coverage of both Callaway and GM installed components during the term of GM’s Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty.

In the rare occasion that a Callaway car or truck requires attention by a GM dealer to address a warranty-related problem, GM and Callaway work together to return the vehicle to its owner as soon as possible. For 36 months or 36,000 miles from the vehicle in-service date or mileage (whichever comes first) Callaway assists the dealer to conduct a timely diagnosis of the problem. Callaway will then supply any required Callaway replacement parts and technical support, and reimburse the dealer for the dealership’s labor cost. Plus, if failure of a Callaway component should result in damage to covered GM powertrain parts, Callaway will also reimburse the dealer for those parts and labor as well.