CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Data Logging IATs (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4075596-data-logging-iats.html)

BlueDevilZ51 12-06-2017 10:05 PM

Data Logging IATs

I looking for some information from Zo6 guys who datalog. I don't have a Zo6, I have a Stingray with an Edelbrock E force. I was thinking I might have better luck in this section being you guys have PD/ roots blowers as well.

I read online that there is a 10-15* temp increase for every pound of boost. I also read that the intercooler decreases that. This is my first car with a supercharger and im just looking to find out what is normal when I start datalogging it.

So I'm just wondering how much higher your IATs are above ambient temps under full boost?
Thanks.

ajrothm 12-07-2017 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51 (Post 1596124995)
I looking for some information from Zo6 guys who datalog. I don't have a Zo6, I have a Stingray with an Edelbrock E force. I was thinking I might have better luck in this section being you guys have PD/ roots blowers as well.

I read online that there is a 10-15* temp increase for every pound of boost. I also read that the intercooler decreases that. This is my first car with a supercharger and im just looking to find out what is normal when I start datalogging it.

So I'm just wondering how much higher your IATs are above ambient temps under full boost?
Thanks.

If you are using HP Tuners for your logging, I think you'll need the IAT1 pid I believe...On the Z06, the correct pid is MANIFOLD AIR TEMP.

Once you are logging the correct temp signal, you'll just have to study its behavior in different ambient temps and run conditions and see what you get..Then make changes accordingly.

I am not sure how efficient the intercooling system is on the E-force, or how hard you are spinning blower (which makes more heat), but I would guess that if you are seeing anything over 150* IAT, I'd start looking at stuff....

BlueDevilZ51 12-07-2017 08:34 AM

Thanks for the reply, im using the SCT X4 with the Live Link software on my laptop. The E force made 9 pounds of boost at WOT on the dyno.

ajrothm 12-07-2017 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51 (Post 1596126712)
Thanks for the reply, im using the SCT X4 with the Live Link software on my laptop. The E force made 9 pounds of boost at WOT on the dyno.

Yeah I would be curious as to what your IATs are as well. I'd be willing to bet that the E Force intercooler bricks, heat exchanger and pump are all likely much better then the Z06 stuff.... I would guess at WOT pulls in average ambient temps (70-80s) you will probably see 120-130* IATs, maybe more on longer pulls....And ofcourse if you are making back to back pulls and heat soak, they'll be higher.. Its nothing to see 140-150* IATs on a stock C7Z...and can QUICKLY climb past that.

How much power did it make? Around 580-590 or so?

BlueDevilZ51 12-07-2017 03:01 PM

Made 519whp on a Mustang dyno, ive been told that it would have made numbers about 12% higher on a dynojet. Edelbrocks canned tune was very rich, low 11 AFR on the WOT pull. I'll be getting better custom tune in the Spring.
I should have some IATs tomorrow after datalogging it for the first time.
I appricate the info on the ball park IAT norms.

dar02081961 12-07-2017 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51 (Post 1596124995)

Thanks.

I looked at several logs.

On a typical example I looked at Manifold Air Temperature at 80 degrees ambient from a standing start.... to the 6500 rpm redline in 3rd.
After sitting still for 30 seconds at take off the IAT was 153* and ended up at 155*. Max boost was 10.8 psi.

Cruising for 5 miles prior to this run at 80 mph 78 degrees ambient the IATs where 149* when I stopped to make the run.

I post this to make a point.

Over the years rumor has had it the IATs (actually MAT) on these cars were out of control. Over years of logging I have found it just isn’t so.

Idling or moving in slow traffic during the summer (100*) I have seen them spike at 170*.

However as soon as the car starts moving they quickly go back to the mid 150's low 160's at the most. :thumbs: