CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Front panel lifting (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4076305-front-panel-lifting.html)

bikingles 12-08-2017 01:10 PM

Front panel lifting

2 Attachment(s)
Need some help or advice on my 06 vert. I'm not mechanically inclined so this fix might be above my pay grade. The front panel running across the car and stopping at the headlight is lifting at the point. It looks like their is a pin underneath it fits into but it keeps popping up when I push down. Hopefully my explanation makes sense. My question is does fender and light need to come off to get to it or is it accessible any other way. Appreciate any advice I can get. This might be a body shop job.
Thanks

rkj427 12-08-2017 01:49 PM

there are clips on each side that hold it into position................. not very difficult to change............. requires loosening the (4) screws across the front of the fascia under the hood near the front edge of the hood when it is in the open position............

shoot me a PM with your address and I will mail you one for each side...............

bought replacements for mine, and they came in a large quantity package so I have some spares......................

Landru 12-08-2017 02:17 PM

Should've saved exploded diagram of this issue when it came up last.
Gave a clear idea of what these tabs are/do + how/why they break.

IIRC there're 2 cam-like male locking tabs each side, both fit into female slots. Twisting a screw for each tab secures panel to female slot. Again, from memory.

Hopefully someone saved those drawings, sure would help conceptualize how these things work.
Good news is it isn't unusual, not hard to remedy & probably not much coin for labor if one preferred hiring a body shop. :cheers:

rkj427 12-08-2017 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1596137505)
Should've saved exploded diagram of this issue when it came up last.
Gave a clear idea of what these tabs are/do + how/why they break.

IIRC there're 2 cam-like male locking tabs each side, both fit into female slots. Twisting a screw for each tab secures panel to female slot. Again, from memory.

Hopefully someone saved those drawings, sure would help conceptualize how these things work.
Good news is it isn't unusual, not hard to remedy & probably not much coin for labor if one preferred hiring a body shop. :cheers:

:iagree: may have that information saved on my home computer, but currently at work and will add it later to this posting.............

pretty quick, easy, and painless fix..................... :cheers:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2a996c9a35.jpg

jaredtxrx 12-08-2017 03:06 PM

So if this happens this means there is a clip that is broken. This is VERY common and easy to fix.

1: Open the hood, there are 4 7mm bolts holding the bumper cover on. Remove these.
2: You should now have enough room to lift the bumper cover up and remove the broken clips. I did this just by cutting them with some wire cutters and didn't worry about trying to remove them by unclipping them.
3: Put in the new clips
4: Put the 4 7mm bolts back into the bumper cover but not 100% tight.
5: You will need to "wiggle" and push the part that is sticking up back onto the new clips.
6: Tighten up the bolts 100%.

Clip information; GM OEM Exterior-rocker Panel Molding Retainer Part #11561329
Read Step 1: for bumper cover information; https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...e-grill-368454
Another good thread with pics; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...per-clips.html

Corvette_Ed 12-08-2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by rkj427 (Post 1596137320)
there are clips on each side that hold it into position................. not very difficult to change............. requires loosening the (4) screws across the front of the fascia under the hood near the front edge of the hood when it is in the open position............

shoot me a PM with your address and I will mail you one for each side...............

bought replacements for mine, and they came in a large quantity package so I have some spares......................

This is what CF is all about. :cheers:

bikingles 12-08-2017 06:03 PM

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I think I can pull it off and take a look at the clip. Appreciate your offer of the spare clips. After removing I will see if that is what's needed and PM my address.

bikingles 12-08-2017 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed (Post 1596138094)
This is what CF is all about. :cheers:

:iagree: Great people here :thumbs:

bikingles 12-14-2017 08:01 PM

Wanted to thank you for your offer. Buddy of mine had a friend with a bag full also from a purchase. He gave me a couple was able to figure out how to install with help from forum members like yourself.

thehueg 12-14-2017 10:45 PM

I have a related question. My front panel isn’t lifting. Rather, following a front panel replacement (by dealer), the panel is noticeably lower than where it meets the hood. Is it possible the panel can be raised so it will return to being flush with where it meets the hood?

RPOWU8 12-14-2017 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=thehueg;1596182381]I have a related question. My front panel isn’t lifting. Rather, following a front panel replacement (by dealer), the panel is noticeably lower than where it meets the hood. Is it possible the panel can be raised so it will return to being flush with where it meets the hood?[/QUOTE

See Post #4 above. Loosen the four 7mm screws and lift up as necessary and tighten screws back down. There is a support piece under the nose plastic that may need to be adjusted up if its bad. A few more bolts under the nose plastic and pry up on the support. The worst part is the darn little clips where the nose meets the fenders. Amazing how small they actually are.

DJ

rkj427 12-15-2017 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by bikingles (Post 1596181468)
Wanted to thank you for your offer. Buddy of mine had a friend with a bag full also from a purchase. He gave me a couple was able to figure out how to install with help from forum members like yourself.

:thumbs: :thumbs: Glad that you were able to get the clips and get your car fixed! Thank you for stopping back and reporting the results too! :cheers:

BadAV 12-15-2017 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by bikingles (Post 1596139183)
:iagree: Great people here :thumbs:

Definitely!

mcandrew67 12-15-2017 09:56 AM

Just changed mine yesterday actually, the hardest part was removing the old ones, I had to break the end off and then push the stub through the hole and insert the new ones.
On the small one, make sure you put it around the right way as it will clip into the front bumper cover. Fit it in the bumper cover so you can see which way round it goes then insert into the hole.

kevinjm 04-02-2018 01:17 PM

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem with my '06 base coupe.
Can anyone confirm these part numbers listed here (#11561329 and #11609871) would fit my car.
I searched on gmpartsdirect and it claims those part numbers don't fit my car.
Instead I'm finding part number #11519444 (bumper cover retainer).
Am I on the right track here?

jaredtxrx 04-02-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by kevinjm (Post 1596910708)
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem with my '06 base coupe.
Can anyone confirm these part numbers listed here (#11561329 and #11609871) would fit my car.
I searched on gmpartsdirect and it claims those part numbers don't fit my car.
Instead I'm finding part number #11519444 (bumper cover retainer).
Am I on the right track here?

This is what you need more than likely. GM Part# 11561329

kevinjm 04-02-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx (Post 1596911264)
This is what you need more than likely. GM Part# 11561329
https://www.amazon.com/Front-Bumper-...70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks! I ended up ordering both parts (just in case) from Cultrag. You guys here in the forum are really awesome.

Sarge5052 04-12-2018 05:37 AM

My front left side is "going", and this will be the second time i've had to do this in 6 years of ownership. After awhile pushing it back in place with your thumb stops working :)

Glad to have this reference available every-so-many years, it really isn't hard to do.

cb1980 04-12-2018 11:44 PM

glad this thread popped up, need to do this repair of my 07, drivers side still holding but passenger side has popped, pushed it back and held for like 2 weeks, now won't hold at all

Sarge5052 04-13-2018 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by cb1980 (Post 1596987257)
glad this thread popped up, need to do this repair of my 07, drivers side still holding but passenger side has popped, pushed it back and held for like 2 weeks, now won't hold at all

Just completed mine today, don't be surprised to find the larger plastic clip that holds the bumper to fender missing! I had the same symtpoms, I found some gorilla glue in between, with only the small clip present.

It did make the install much quicker and even easier though:cool:.

The two part #s listed for the dealer are still accurate and they had them in stock, ran about $9 bucks for one of each. GL!