CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Dreaded ECBM and BPMV Repair for $4500 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4081044-dreaded-ecbm-and-bpmv-repair-for-4500-a.html)

golfnutts 12-21-2017 06:13 AM

Dreaded ECBM and BPMV Repair for $4500

Well after reading many threads on ABS-Traction Control, My 2003 AE 39,000 miles it started showing the lights on my Traction Control with code 1214. I took it to our local Chevy Dealer and they ran a test showing both ecbm and bpmv bad. The corvette mechanic even showed me the tests they performed to come to that conclusion. Just because you might show the code 1214 for the ECBM there are other tests to check the BPMV which I didn't know. Now the fun part, the ECBM installed was $1086.00 and the BPMV installed was $3500. Think God I had extended warranty on it until 75,000 miles with no years attached. But they would only pay for the BPMV and not the ECBM. So I called them up and asked, They stated it is a know problem for the ECBM to go bad on those cars and they don't cover that particular part. So they are installing all new components and I'm getting back the old ones to be refurbished for backups. The morale of the story if you have extended warranty check the fine print and just because you show code 1214 that might not be your only problem. But still can't believe it happened with only 39,000 miles.

golfnutts 12-21-2017 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by golfnutts (Post 1596222508)
Well after reading many threads on ABS-Traction Control, My 2003 AE 39,000 miles it started showing the lights on my Traction Control with code 1214. I took it to our local Chevy Dealer and they ran a test showing both ecbm and bpmv bad. The corvette mechanic even showed me the tests they performed to come to that conclusion. Just because you might show the code 1214 for the ECBM there are other tests to check the BPMV which I didn't know. Now the fun part, the ECBM installed was $1086.00 and the BPMV installed was $3500. Think God I had extended warranty on it until 75,000 miles with no years attached. But they would only pay for the BPMV and not the ECBM. So I called them up and asked, They stated it is a know problem for the ECBM to go bad on those cars and they don't cover that particular part. So they are installing all new components and I'm getting back the old ones to be refurbished for backups. The morale of the story if you have extended warranty check the fine print and just because you show code 1214 that might not be your only problem. But still can't believe it happened with only 39,000 miles.

Forgot one other item I didn't know, the corvette mechanic stated you should activate your ABS system at least once every 3 months to activate all systems to ensure lubrication and prevent any sticking inner parts.

leadfoot4 12-21-2017 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by golfnutts (Post 1596222535)
Forgot one other item I didn't know, the corvette mechanic stated you should activate your ABS system at least once every 3 months to activate all systems to ensure lubrication and prevent any sticking inner parts.

I've heard the same thing. Problem is, for many of us who either store our cars in the winter, therefore don't drive on slippery roads, or those of us who don't drive like maniacs in the summer, activating the ABS isn't something that we'd normally do. In my case, only once, in normal driving, did I trigger the ABS. It happened when a deer ran out in front of me.

What I've been doing, over the last few years, however, is running over a portion of my lawn and spiking the brakes, when its wet, which, of course, triggers the ABS. It doesn't do my lawn any good, but fixing the lawn is far easier/cheaper than overhauling the ABS system.

This also brings up a sticky subject....with cars becoming so damned expensive, and even worse, FAR more complicated, having a system failure like described above, could actually force you to scrap the car. The cost of the repair (assuming parts are available) could easily exceed the value of the car. For many of us, our Corvettes are "weekend cruisers", so even after 10-15 years, they don't have hundreds of thousands of miles on them, are still in excellent shape, but have depreciated considerably.....

99mike 12-21-2017 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by golfnutts (Post 1596222535)

I agree. I used to jack my back wheels off the ground just to exercise my ABS system. Now with a clone TechII, I can do it and other things right in my garage to include the automated brake bleed procedure. No need to slam on the brakes while out on a drive or to drive across your lawn.

Mike

01pewtervert 12-21-2017 09:27 AM

"They stated it is a know problem for the ECBM to go bad on those cars and they don't cover that particular part".

Are you kidding? How is that documented? Do you have the extended warranty paperwork? If a part has a higher than normal failure rate, where do they get the data and what is the failure rate for when they don't cover a part? That is complete BS. There must be a misunderstanding. I would not let them get away with that.

twokbolt 12-21-2017 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 01pewtervert (Post 1596223377)
"They stated it is a know problem for the ECBM to go bad on those cars and they don't cover that particular part".

Are you kidding? How is that documented? Do you have the extended warranty paperwork? If a part has a higher than normal failure rate, where do they get the data and what is the failure rate for when they don't cover a part? That is complete BS. There must be a misunderstanding. I would not let them get away with that.

:iagree:

If it's not specifically called out in a list of policy exclusions up front, this is bs. I'd ask for a list of exclusions related to your car so you know what they do and don't cover in the future. Otherwise they can deny whatever/whenever they feel like it.

golfnutts 12-21-2017 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 01pewtervert (Post 1596223377)

Checked the Warranty Paperwork and under ABS and Traction Control System it states: Only Brake Pump and Wheel Sensors are covered; electronic control module not covered under this warranty.

Smoken1 12-21-2017 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by golfnutts (Post 1596224989)
Checked the Warranty Paperwork and under ABS and Traction Control System it states: Only Brake Pump and Wheel Sensors are covered; electronic control module not covered under this warranty.

If thats what it says, your going to have to remove the EBCM and send to someone like ABSfixer

lionelhutz 12-21-2017 02:35 PM

Isn't C1214 the code that happens when the relay which runs the ABS pump motor fails? That code sometimes fails because of bad solder joints but it can also be caused because the pump motor isn't turning freely enough and overloading it.

The BPMV might have been OK if it the motor was forced to run while doing a brake bleeding procedure then keeping the system exercised.

The C1214 could have been fixed by ABSfixer or pretty much by anyone capable of soldering.

golfnutts 12-21-2017 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by twokbolt (Post 1596224853)
:iagree:

If it's not specifically called out in a list of policy exclusions up front, this is bs. I'd ask for a list of exclusions related to your car so you know what they do and don't cover in the future. Otherwise they can deny whatever/whenever they feel like it.

Funny thing is they covered the most expensive part!!! You would think they cover the ECBM vs the BPMV....:crazy2:

golfnutts 12-21-2017 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by lionelhutz (Post 1596225719)
Isn't C1214 the code that happens when the relay which runs the ABS pump motor fails? That code sometimes fails because of bad solder joints but it can also be caused because the pump motor isn't turning freely enough and overloading it.

The BPMV might have been OK if it the motor was forced to run while doing a brake bleeding procedure then keeping the system exercised.

The C1214 could have been fixed by ABSfixer or pretty much by anyone capable of soldering.

That is what I thought, but when the mechanic showed me the other tests he did on the BPMV I was convinced it was bad too. Just having everything replaced, since most of it is covered by warranty. and then I'm sending off the ECBM to ABSfixer and the BPMV I have to refurbished for backup or if someone might need one, I know in a couple of years these parts might be hard to find or the price will skyrocket in the future.

golfnutts 12-21-2017 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by golfnutts (Post 1596226126)
That is what I thought, but when the mechanic showed me the other tests he did on the BPMV I was convinced it was bad too. Just having everything replaced, since most of it is covered by warranty. and then I'm sending off the ECBM to ABSfixer and the BPMV I have to refurbished for backup or if someone might need one, I know in a couple of years these parts might be hard to find or the price will skyrocket in the future.

I showed the mechanic this forum, and since he is the main corvette mechanic for this dealership, he is going to join it and keep up to date with older corvettes problems, because he made a statement that guys in forums know more about there cars then GM trains there mechanics.

01pewtervert 12-21-2017 05:44 PM

There is no question in my mind that there are many members of this forum that are far better technicians than some of the dealer mechanics. Anyone can be a parts changer when the budget is unlimited. Most of us are not willing to spend $4500 to have the ABS feature. I agree that it seems crazy that the extended warranty covered the high cost BPMV, but not the EBCM. Fortunately we have places that can repair the EBCM for a reasonable cost. I have had two of them repaired. One was 9 years ago and it still works fine.

Corvette#2 12-21-2017 07:57 PM

Maybe they exclude the EBCM because they know it fails.

I've never heard of an BPMV failure before reading this thread.

golfnutts 12-21-2017 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette#2 (Post 1596227909)
Maybe they exclude the EBCM because they know it fails.

I've never heard of an BPMV failure before reading this thread.

They told me what failed on the BPMV but I forgot since I was in shock when they called me. When I pick up the car tomorrow, I will Notify this forum what was bad on the BPMV and hopefully what caused the failure. Hate to see this bill, since I had the transmisson and rear end fluids changed and the upper and lower radiator hoses changed out also since they have never been changed in 15 years. After this, my girl should be good to go for the next 50,000 miles I hope.

jrprich 12-22-2017 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Smoken1 (Post 1596225421)
If thats what it says, your going to have to remove the EBCM and send to someone like ABSfixer

Or buy a new EBCM for $521.78 on Amazon. ACDelco 10343433

001pewter 12-23-2017 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by lionelhutz (Post 1596225719)

I thought that cold joints caused that also. You really don't have to be that great at soldering either. 4500 could buy another whole parts car.

golfnutts 12-23-2017 05:36 AM

Here's the rest of the story: Picked the car up and the total bill was $4240.50, I had to pay $1517.00 the rest covered under warranty, with the following repairs:
Changed Transmission fluid and filter and diff fluid: $135.00
Changed Upper and Lower Radiator hoses and coolant: $156.67
Diagnosis on ABS: Code C1214: ABS module (ECBM) and (BPVM) Hydraulic valve shorted out by overload of stuck valve and fan motor on BPMV. Cost: $2286.00 for BPMV and 900.00 for ECBM.
Labor: $457.00
parts: $3379.04
Recycle: $27.42
Sales Tax: $376.69
Total Bill: $4240.15
I payed $1517.75
I asked for the old parts and will be getting them repaired for backup: New fan and solinoid for BPMV and relay for ECBM.

golfnutts 12-23-2017 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by golfnutts (Post 1596236408)
Here's the rest of the story: Picked the car up and the total bill was $4240.50, I had to pay $1517.00 the rest covered under warranty, with the following repairs:
Changed Transmission fluid and filter and diff fluid: $135.00
Changed Upper and Lower Radiator hoses and coolant: $156.67
Diagnosis on ABS: Code C1214: ABS module (ECBM) and (BPVM) Hydraulic valve shorted out by overload of stuck valve and fan motor on BPMV. Cost: $2286.00 for BPMV and 900.00 for ECBM.
Labor: $457.00
parts: $3379.04
Recycle: $27.42
Sales Tax: $376.69
Total Bill: $4240.15
I payed $1517.75

I asked for the old parts and will be getting them repaired for backup: New fan and solinoid for BPMV and relay for ECBM.

I'm sorry not a fan motor, the motor that operates the pump. I will be taking it apart to test the motor and other parts to make sure.:ack:

LannyL81 12-23-2017 08:02 AM

I just wanted to ask about the sales tax rate charged, it is only on the parts right? $376.69/$3379.04 = 11.1%...really??....and I thought 8.1% was high where I am.

Anyways hope all works out for you.