CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   C5 "Bra" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4081698-c5-bra.html)

C52002Vert 12-22-2017 03:29 PM

C5 "Bra"

Well I was thinking about getting a "Bra" for my vert but on second thought I decided not to for the reason that as you drive the "bra" might wear on the paint. This is kind of a conundrum, rock chips and bugs also wear on the paint. Was just looking for opinions from those that have or have not had a "bra", which is worse or if the "bra" does or does not wear on the paint? Don't want to trade one problem for another! Thanks in Advance!!:thumbs:

c4cruiser 12-22-2017 04:08 PM

I have a GM factory bra for my '02 but I really don't use it a lot; just for trips. I also have a NoviStrech bra and it gets more use than the GM one.

The GM bra certainly works well as the material is thick and has a liner inside. The problem with the liner material is that it can hold moisture and that could cause paint issues if the bra isn't removed frequently and allowed to dry. It could also cause some mildew to form.

The NoviStretch bra is lightweight and the material is more like a screen so any moisture trapped can run off and air flowing over it while driving will aid in drying the material.

Both bras use snaps that replace screws that hold the front fender liners in place. Turns out that both bras use the same snap locations so they are "interchangeable".

You may want to look at ClearBra or similar products. It's a clear plastic material that is glued to the nose of the car. It will protect against small rocks, dirt, and other debris.

rrwirsi 12-22-2017 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by C52002Vert (Post 1596233340)
Well I was thinking about getting a "Bra" for my vert but on second thought I decided not to for the reason that as you drive the "bra" might wear on the paint. This is kind of a conundrum, rock chips and bugs also wear on the paint. Was just looking for opinions from those that have or have not had a "bra", which is worse or if the "bra" does or does not wear on the paint? Don't want to trade one problem for another! Thanks in Advance!!:thumbs:

The only car I had a ‘bra’ on was an Acura Legend. It worked well for the front nose but did not protect the hood. My C5 drives are mostly on 2 lane highways (avoid expressways), hug the white line when trucks and passing cars come towards me, and never follow closer than 2 car lengths. Seems to keep the stone chips at a very minimum. :flag:

2008 Corvette 12-22-2017 04:18 PM

Bra

1 vote for the Novi Stretch. Not driving your car keeps the chips away. :flag:

Vetteman Jack 12-22-2017 04:21 PM

I have run a GM bra on all three of my C5s (covering more than 15 years) and have never experienced any paint damage. It is an easy on/easy off product and really does protect the front end of the car, all at a very reasonable cost. I will say that I do not keep it on should I get caught in the rain.

capevettes 12-22-2017 04:26 PM

Look into Expel Ultra clear wraps. They are virtually invisible and provide great protection. If you are doing only the nose, it can be done very reasonably.

C52002Vert 12-22-2017 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette (Post 1596233643)
Not driving your car keeps the chips away. :flag:

That ^ is not an option. :cheers:

C52002Vert 12-22-2017 06:02 PM

OK, I just want to thank all that have responded to my ? and have given me some insight from experienced "bra" owners.

Ron C! 12-22-2017 06:14 PM

I have Speed Lingerie bras and mirror covers for both of my cars. They fit really snug, zero movement. I have tested them into the low triple digits, great fit, no marks on the paint.

CQRT 12-22-2017 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1596233658)
I have run a GM bra on all three of my C5s (covering more than 15 years) and have never experienced any paint damage. It is an easy on/easy off product and really does protect the front end of the car, all at a very reasonable cost. I will say that I do not keep it on should I get caught in the rain.

:iagree:

This . . . . had both with no problem - - just take them off to clean once in awhile and never run in the rain.

ALLEGRO 12-22-2017 09:42 PM

SpeedLingerie, perfectly matching my 50th Anniversary paint !

Just be sure to take it off either before or immediately after traveling in the rain.

Quality piece and worth the $$$

striper 12-22-2017 10:50 PM

I don't remember the brand but it was nylon type material and came in C5 colors. It is still working great, which leads me to recommend the NoviStretch. Also there is a spray on protective coating that works like the clear bra. It bonds to your paint after spraying on from an aerosol can. When you feel like it you can remove it by washing it off. It is a 3M product.

DDaaryl 12-22-2017 11:00 PM

I prefer my women and my vehicles the same way, BRALESS

Bengtsson 12-23-2017 05:14 AM

I would go with some clear coating or something. A bra just kills the look.

slopoke17 12-23-2017 08:06 AM

I have the clear bra and the front bumper is still like new on my 2001. Previous owner applied it many years ago and it has held up very well. The only way you can tell is there is a fine line going across the front.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5661b7e00.jpeg

ttiros 12-23-2017 12:55 PM

I have the GM bra. I put a good coat of wax under it and am very pleased.

TomcatMike 12-23-2017 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ttiros (Post 1596238206)
I have the GM bra. I put a good coat of wax under it and am very pleased.

Ladies and Gents, this thread is timely. I hit a deer three days ago. The damage is surprisingly minimal, comes to about $2900 on the estimate. Mostly cosmetic - the right headlight is damaged, headlight shroud, the right fender has a hole busted next to the headlight, and the front fascia has scuffing. The car is black. Because the car has original 16-year-old paint, stone chips, and all the roadway grime blast, plus hail-damage paint chipping on the roof and rear deck lid, the new fender and fascia painting would look odd against the rest of the car. The collision shop is a Chevy-Cadillac group shop, so they will have GM parts and the manager quoted me $6500 for a total paint job, less the insurance applied against the repairs and paint.

I was thinking some clear wrap / applique or a bra. This will be a brand new "factory" paint job. It appears on this list that "where two or more are gathered, there will be 49 opinions."

Is the factory C5 bra really that good?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas, Happy 2018 to all.

Mike

grampi50 12-23-2017 09:24 PM

After seeing this, and several other similar videos, I would never think about using a strap-on or clear bra again...

ttiros 12-24-2017 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by grampi50
After seeing this, and several other similar videos, I would never think about using a strap-on or clear bra again...

Isn't it easier to just use a bra than go through that all the time?

Ramets 12-24-2017 06:08 AM

I had a clear bra on my motorhome. If not treated with 303 or a similar product mold can grow under it, especially in hot humid areas. Once you see it, it's too late to do anything about it but remove it. These newer wraps I hear are different, but some RV owners I knew had paint come off when the clear bra was removed.