CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   How to remove ONSTAR antenna? 2017+ models (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4082294-how-to-remove-onstar-antenna-2017-models.html)

bsedwebt 12-24-2017 11:24 AM

How to remove ONSTAR antenna? 2017+ models

I have a base 2017 Stingray and have located the ONSTAR unit and it has what appears to be 2 antennas. Which to remove - I have heard the brown one. I cannot figure how to unplug them - it is different attachment than the older models. Can anyone tell me which one or both to remove and how to unplug them? I am trying to avoid the check engine light and the other features being disabled. Thanks all!

Bill Dearborn 12-24-2017 04:46 PM

What does the OnStar antenna have to do with the Check Engine light? Even fully functional with an OnStar Account the system has no ability to set a check engine light. If it fails there is a code set in the VCIM module but you wouldn't know about it unless you hooked up a scanner that could read body codes.

Bill

bsedwebt 02-14-2018 09:06 PM

Still looking for the answer if anybody knows. Which antenna to remove on the 2017 and what to do to make it come loose without damage - it does not appear to twist off, push off, pry off, etc...

Jeff V. 02-15-2018 08:40 AM

Why are you trying to disconnect the antenna at all?

ersatz928 02-15-2018 11:38 AM

I think the antenna connector can be removed after you open (or remove) the red plastic retainer clip.

Below is a thread (See the first post of it...) that shows how to easily remove the cellular radio module that is inside OnStar box. That is a better solution than just disconnecting the antenna, as some RF signal can still be emitted by the open coax cable, and could be picked-up if you are very close to a cell tower. The OnStar box is on the passenger side, behind the plastic trim panel below the glove-box.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...right-way.html

bsedwebt 02-15-2018 06:25 PM

Thanks - I saw this post before I went into it and it helped a bunch. I found the box under the carpet behind the glove box but the connectors on the 2017 are different. There are 2 antennas but I want to retain the functionality of the bluetooth microphone and not risk breaking/losing anything in case I sell it later. As far as the reason for this - Call me silly but I just want it GONE.

Jeff V. 02-16-2018 01:53 PM

Worries about OnStar tracking his car's movements.

Wants to retain connectivity to a smartphone that tracks his movements.

bigsapper 02-16-2018 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff V. (Post 1596605219)
Worries about OnStar tracking his car's movements.

Wants to retain connectivity to a smartphone that tracks his movements.

Different terms of service?

IM3CPO 02-21-2018 02:13 AM

Why not just pull the fuse for the OnStar crap?

ersatz928 02-21-2018 11:25 AM

You can remove the Onstar module fuse # 27 (under the rear cargo floor), but you will also lose the Blue-tooth feature (Same module does both).

bsedwebt 02-21-2018 06:40 PM

As has already been said - pulling the fuse kills bluetooth microphone. Pulling the antenna does not. I can get to the module and see the antennas but they have a different design from prior years and I cannot get them loose and I would not know which one or both to remove.

Gearhead Jim 02-23-2018 10:03 PM

:lurk:

ricktret 04-13-2018 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by bsedwebt (Post 1596642780)
As has already been said - pulling the fuse kills bluetooth microphone. Pulling the antenna does not. I can get to the module and see the antennas but they have a different design from prior years and I cannot get them loose and I would not know which one or both to remove.

Why not just wrap them in aluminum foil? That should suppress the signal.

nyciti 04-15-2018 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by bsedwebt (Post 1596642780)

One should be for LTE/WIFI and the other is for Bluetooth. You have to disconnect both, crack open the box and pull the LTE/WIFI card if you really want it dead. I looked online seems like the connections are the same as my post.

HorsePower Junkie 11-26-2018 09:20 PM

What is the purpose of disabling OnStar?

Gearhead Jim 11-30-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ricktret (Post 1596993281)
Why not just wrap them in aluminum foil? That should suppress the signal.

Where is the antenna(s), and how do we get to them?

Bill Dearborn 12-01-2018 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie (Post 1598400144)
What is the purpose of disabling OnStar?

Some people don't believe wrapping their head in aluminum foil is sufficient to stop the spying. The best argument against OnStar tracking anybody is none of us are that important to be tracked if we haven't paid the money to be tracked. Even then it really doesn't track you.

​​​​​​​Bill