CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Holley Disassembly Problems (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4082582-holley-disassembly-problems.html)

Cavu2u 12-25-2017 12:44 PM

Holley Disassembly Problems

Having a helluva time trying to separate the blocks from the body on this 6210-3 double pumper. Outer Bowls separate fine, but not the Blocks. It's like they're glued onto the Body!:toetap:
Is there any kind of product someone here uses to make this separation easier. I don't wanna damage anything here by forcing them apart. I want to break down and soak/clean the carburetor.

Thanks much. :cheers:
Steve

drwet 12-25-2017 12:49 PM

Got photos?

Tonio 12-25-2017 01:40 PM

If the gasket is there, just pry the metering block off with a flat blade screwdriver. Usually a little leverage applied between the air cleaner seat and the block is all that's needed to loosen it up enough.

HeadsU.P. 12-25-2017 02:02 PM

Spray a little Gumout Carb Cleaner around the seam. Old gum and varnish deposits are like glue on those gaskets. Using the smallest, finest blade screwdriver, wedge the tip in ever so slightly. If all else, put a fuel bowl bolt part way in and tap on the end, sideways with a soft hammer. That will usually pop it lose.

Holley makes Blue rubberized metering gaskets that can handle the Ethanol (sorta) better than the fiber gaskets. They are reusable and come off easier.

OldCarBum 12-25-2017 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chapter2 (Post 1596248997)
If the gasket is there, just pry the metering block off with a flat blade screwdriver. Usually a little leverage applied between the air cleaner seat and the block is all that's needed to loosen it up enough.

:iagree: a large flat blade works best. It wont take much.

Cavu2u 12-25-2017 11:00 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

Drwet; ever since the Great PhotoBucket Heist, I've been shutout with the pictures. As many here might know, I loved displaying pics.

Folks, this is not a normal case. There's an ADHESIVE on these joints. A single-edge razor blade, douched with Gumout, has to be driven in with a hammer. And EVEN THEN, the rest of the joint remains bonded, of course. Blue slivers of gasket emerging simply means the gasket is still bonding with the metal.

I'll get it eventually, taking a lot of time with it. But I'm not risking a gouge in that soft metal with any screwdriver, because it will. And without popping apart. :cuss

All of this, THANKS to the last rebuilder.

Steve

NeverTooOld 12-26-2017 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cavu2u (Post 1596251369)
Thanks for the response guys.

Drwet; ever since the Great PhotoBucket Heist, I've been shutout with the pictures. As many here might know, I loved displaying pics.

Folks, this is not a normal case. There's an ADHESIVE on these joints. A single-edge razor blade, douched with Gumout, has to be driven in with a hammer. And EVEN THEN, the rest of the joint remains bonded, of course. Blue slivers of gasket emerging simply means the gasket is still bonding with the metal.

I'll get it eventually, taking a lot of time with it. But I'm not risking a gouge in that soft metal with any screwdriver, because it will. And without popping apart. :cuss

All of this, THANKS to the last rebuilder.

Steve

It's not the rebuilder's fault but rather the gasket's fault. When the gasoline laden gaskets dry out the gasoline turns into a kind of varnish that sticks everything together. Soaking the whole shebang in carburetor cleaner or alcohol will eventually dissolve the varnish and it'll come apart. The best thing to do after you get it apart is use genuine Holley "non stick" blue gaskets as they won't absorb the gasoline like paper gaskets.

Cavu2u 12-26-2017 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld (Post 1596251861)
It's not the rebuilder's fault but rather the gasket's fault. When the gasoline laden gaskets dry out the gasoline turns into a kind of varnish that sticks everything together. Soaking the whole shebang in carburetor cleaner or alcohol will eventually dissolve the varnish and it'll come apart. The best thing to do after you get it apart is use genuine Holley "non stick" blue gaskets as they won't absorb the gasoline like paper gaskets.

Thank you sir. :thumbs:

I will take this under consideration.
:D

Steve

P.S.: I finally got them separated, without damage. :hurray:

NeverTooOld 12-26-2017 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cavu2u (Post 1596251930)
Thank you sir. :thumbs:

I will take this under consideration.
:D

Steve

P.S.: I finally got them separated, without damage. :hurray:

The metering blocks have "dowel" pins that are a part of the metering block and it's common for them to break off when you try to pry the metering block apart from the main body. Their only purpose is to align the metering block with the main body but even with them broken off the float bowl screws accomplish the same thing.

The premium Holley "non stick" blue gaskets will never stick because they're made from a material that will not absorb gasoline. The genuine Holley rebuild kits cost around $45 but they're well worth the added expense when compare to the original gaskets. Two years ago I bought an aftermarket kit for half the price that had blue gaskets but quickly discovered they were the cheaper paper gaskets that were dyed blue.

Cavu2u 12-26-2017 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld (Post 1596251957)
The metering blocks have "dowel" pins that are a part of the metering block and it's common for them to break off when you try to pry the metering block apart from the main body. Their only purpose is to align the metering block with the main body but even with them broken off the float bowl screws accomplish the same thing.

The premium Holley "non stick" blue gaskets will never stick because they're made from a material that will not absorb gasoline. The genuine Holley rebuild kits cost around $45 but they're well worth the added expense when compare to the original gaskets. Two years ago I bought an aftermarket kit for half the price that had blue gaskets but quickly discovered they were the cheaper paper gaskets that were dyed blue.

Good to know. :thumbs:

Thank you sir. :cheers:
Steve

Street Rat 12-26-2017 10:11 AM

Use the good blue gaskets and some silicone spray. It makes tuning changes easy.

Cavu2u 12-26-2017 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Street Rat (Post 1596252524)
Use the good blue gaskets and some silicone spray. It makes tuning changes easy.

Another great tip!

Thank you sir. :cheers:
Steve

ezobens 12-28-2017 04:41 PM

I use the black Buna-N gaskets from Moroso for my blocks and bowls-
Even the blue 'non-stick' Holley gaskets will stick eventually.
The Buna-N gaskets will never stick and are reusable.
Just my .02
Elm

Cavu2u 12-28-2017 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ezobens (Post 1596266768)
I use the black Buna-N gaskets from Moroso for my blocks and bowls-
Even the blue 'non-stick' Holley gaskets will stick eventually.
The Buna-N gaskets will never stick and are reusable.
Just my .02
Elm

Great .02 Elm. Thanks.

But I have a question. When we buy these sets for our carbs, shouldn't the set have gaskets that fit both blocks?
What I'm talking about is this. I received a Holley 108-202 Gasket Assortment for my 6210-3, and only 1 gaskets out of the 4 fit. The plastic card they're sold in was open and gaskets were found loose in the shipping box. It makes me think someone switch some gaskets they needed with ones they didn't. A bowl gasket and body gasket in the kit are too small for this carburetor.

So, now I'm gun-shy of buying ANY more gaskets.

Steve

TimAT 12-28-2017 07:27 PM

If ANY carb kit is open, it's a good bet someone robbed a seal or gasket out of the kit and returned it.

HeadsU.P. 12-28-2017 07:32 PM

Yes the gaskets are sold in pairs. Two bowl gaskets or two metering block gaskets. Pay careful attention how the old ones were lined up before removing. If you flip a gasket around by accident, you could block off the accelerator pump port.
I would stick with genuine Holley parts. I have had trouble with other brands. Some are a little on the small side. Try Summit Racing for Holley carb parts.

calwldlife 12-28-2017 07:57 PM

I had the same problem with genuine Holley
Gasket. And it wasn't on the carb very long?
sux

Cavu2u 12-28-2017 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P. (Post 1596267807)
Yes the gaskets are sold in pairs. Two bowl gaskets or two metering block gaskets. Pay careful attention how the old ones were lined up before removing. If you flip a gasket around by accident, you could block off the accelerator pump port.
I would stick with genuine Holley parts. I have had trouble with other brands. Some are a little on the small side. Try Summit Racing for Holley carb parts.

Thanks much.
The Blocks on this carb had offset pins, so the MB gaskets were Steevie-proof.
I gotta say this though: The opened Holley set, was from Summit.
Their #: HLY-108-202
:(

Steve

HeadsU.P. 12-29-2017 08:52 AM

They would have taken it back and paid the return shpng if they were at fault. They're a good company that stands behind their sales.
Warehouses have kids working the night shift. If they need one part out of a box, well, it happens. Then who ever packs the shpng box later on would have no idea something is missing.

OldCarBum 12-29-2017 10:51 AM

I've never had any issues ordering through Summit Racing. Their warehouse in Reno is close enough that I usually get parts in 1-2 days. I would give them a call and I'm sure you'll have another gasket set within a couple of days without question.