CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Rockauto (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4084507-rockauto.html)

91 corvette 12-31-2017 06:15 AM

Rockauto

Anyone buy from them. Prices seem to cheap.

kenmohr 12-31-2017 06:45 AM

yes no complaints

Vegas 12-31-2017 06:54 AM

I have several times (no problems or complaints) They usually have a name brand option and I'm not buying anything that I am worried about having to return. Shipping has gone up in recent years. I usually check with local guy 1st and then compare options if he doesn't have it

Cruisinfanatic 12-31-2017 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 91 corvette (Post 1596282717)
Anyone buy from them. Prices seem to cheap.

Who hasn't. FYI, Advance will price match

drcook 12-31-2017 08:46 AM

you take your chances. My son bought some parts from them. They were shipped out of a fly by night used car lot in Cleveland Ohio (yes we checked the address). He bought MOOG parts. There were NAPA parts in the boxes, (still in sealed NAPA bags) and weren't even the correct parts.

of course, Rockauto pulled their infamous "you ordered the wrong parts".

what we found out is Rockauto is not shipping from a central warehouse they are just a middleman. there has been numerous threads here and one the web.

always keep in mind, you could get effed dealing with them

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...to-beware.html

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Ro...ws-E529437.htm

do your research. sometimes it is worth just a little more to have a brick and mortar store where you can take something back to, go complain, establish a good relationship and they help you out etc etc

64drvr 12-31-2017 08:57 AM

I've always had very good experiences ordering from RockAuto. They're usually my preference over autozone/orelly/advance if I can wait a few days for the parts.

C6_Racer_X 12-31-2017 09:16 AM

I'm a believer in RockAuto.com. With a few caveats.

You have to watch what you get from them, and don't be afraid to return something that isn't as describe. I've gotten the wrong part in the right box from them almost as often as that's happened at local sources. Of course, at a local parts place, I generally notice when they bring it to me at the counter, and it gets resolved right away. With Rock Auto, it involves waiting for the correct part to arrive, and possibly shipping back the old one (do what they tell you to do).

The "Wholesale closeouts" can be a good deal. But beware the "private label" options. That means it might not actually be the brand/manufacturer they list. Often those are parts chain house brand parts (Napa, CarQuest, PartsPlus) that use the same numbering scheme as the manufacturer listed. Other times they are off brands that you haven't heard of, again using the same numbering scheme as the listed manufacturer.

If I get Chinese junk, I either send it back (if I can convince them with pictures and links that it wasn't what they said it was, they pay shipping, otherwise I pay shipping), or I toss it in the trash if it's truly junk. If it's just below my standards, but someone else might think it's "good enough," I sometimes toss it on fleaBay for what I paid for it and often it sells.

I've also gotten high quality parts from different manufacturers as "private label." I got a timing chain set recently from Rock Auto for a GM 4.3L V6 (S10 Pickup), and it was made in Illinois by a company that now makes only "high performance" cam and crank sprockets and timing chain sets (adjustable ones and ones with multiple keyways for multiple fixed offsets). They used to make stock parts as well, but stopped with the stock parts about 15 years ago. The parts I got were better than stock (GM doesn't heat treat one of the sprockets, and the set I got, both sprockets were heat treated) and I paid $12.xx (including shipping) for the timing chain set, and couldn't be happier even though "Cloyes [privagte label]" wasn't made by Cloyes.

Oil Filters, light bulbs and wiper blades are an awesome deal on there when you find them as "wholesale closeouts." Some other wear/maintenance items can be good deals as well.

Oh, and there's always a 5% off discount code to be entered in the "how did you hear about us" box, that makes a good deal even better.

I've even gotten good deals from Rock Auto on "dealer only" parts (Genuine GM or Genuine Mopar) for some of my projects/jobs.

A lot of what they sell is from parts stores and dealerships that close and auction off their parts inventory. As the economy improves, I think they might have less "wholesale closeouts" because of that.

whalepirot 12-31-2017 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by lrobe22 (Post 1596283163)
I've always had very good experiences ordering from RockAuto. They're usually my preference over autozone/orelly/advance if I can wait a few days for the parts.

:iagree: Even returned a poor quality C4 RW bearing assy.
The last local guy shut down his store so I am stuck with the chains, which are hardly a great source of info or quality. One local O'Reilley is blatantly racist and sexist. After my wife's horrible, overt experience, I avoid that chain, despite my slightly better treatment; wish it weren't so.

Rock can be more costly especially when parts sources differ.

QCVette 12-31-2017 10:00 AM

I have had pretty good results.

There have been a few issues though.

I bought a clutch kit and it came missing the throwout bearing. I told them what happened and they sent me a label for free return shipping. The replacement they sent was fine.

I tried wholesale closeout rear wheel bearings from a no name company. Inside the box they were National brand with made in USA stamped on them. They have been working fine for years now.

I have also tried some other wholesale closeouts and they were great prices for the parts I expected.

The best closeout sale was a brake pad set from Performance Friction. They were about $10 for the whole 4 wheel set of Ceramic pads. I put them on while I was waiting for my brake upgrade set (rotors/pads/calipers/lines/etc.). Well, they really surprised me. The cheap set had better braking than the OEM ones did and there was almost no dusting. They worked great.

Like others said, I would use them when I have a few days to allow for shipping if they have a good price.

aklim 12-31-2017 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X (Post 1596283274)
The "Wholesale closeouts" can be a good deal. But beware the "private label" options. That means it might not actually be the brand/manufacturer they list. Often those are parts chain house brand parts (Napa, CarQuest, PartsPlus) that use the same numbering scheme as the manufacturer listed. Other times they are off brands that you haven't heard of, again using the same numbering scheme as the listed manufacturer.

If I get Chinese junk, I either send it back (if I can convince them with pictures and links that it wasn't what they said it was, they pay shipping, otherwise I pay shipping), or I toss it in the trash if it's truly junk. If it's just below my standards, but someone else might think it's "good enough," I sometimes toss it on fleaBay for what I paid for it and often it sells.

I've also gotten high quality parts from different manufacturers as "private label." I got a timing chain set recently from Rock Auto for a GM 4.3L V6 (S10 Pickup), and it was made in Illinois by a company that now makes only "high performance" cam and crank sprockets and timing chain sets (adjustable ones and ones with multiple keyways for multiple fixed offsets). They used to make stock parts as well, but stopped with the stock parts about 15 years ago. The parts I got were better than stock (GM doesn't heat treat one of the sprockets, and the set I got, both sprockets were heat treated) and I paid $12.xx (including shipping) for the timing chain set, and couldn't be happier even though "Cloyes [privagte label]" wasn't made by Cloyes.

The thing about "Private Label" is people get fooled by the concept that there are 3 manufacturers of batteries or coolant. All other brands are coming from the same factory. Just because 3 kids came from the same woman don't mean they will all be the same. I have done "Private Labeling" and depending on what you pay, there is more or less of the active ingredient from the SAME factory. IOW, I tell the factory to make this 85% of their brand or 100% or even 50%. Same factory don't mean anything to me. Specifications do.

85 Stalker 12-31-2017 11:45 AM

I purchased multiple items from them for the Ford Lightning, ordered motor and suspension items from them on a Wednesday afternoon and it was at the shop early Friday AM. All items were name brand and were far cheaper than Amazon or Summit - and with free shipping.

I'll use them again no doubt.

aklim 12-31-2017 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by 85 Stalker (Post 1596284338)
I purchased multiple items from them for the Ford Lightning, ordered motor and suspension items from them on a Wednesday afternoon and it was at the shop early Friday AM. All items were name brand and were far cheaper than Amazon or Summit - and with free shipping.

I'll use them again do doubt.

If the part numbers are same and the price is less, you bet. If they substituted with a generic brand, well, maybe not. I usually push the seller and see if they are willing to match. When I buy say tires, I show them the quote including shipping. The shop matches BUT charges tax. I usually tell them "I can get it here to my door for $X.". $X is the check I write. I'll pay you for the install but that is separate.

RWDsmoke 12-31-2017 01:16 PM

I've bought parts from them and always got what I ordered. I like the fact that they give you choices of brands. One time they called me because an item was out of stock and asked if I wanted to wait on it or choose another brand.

91 corvette 12-31-2017 02:02 PM

Thanks for info looking at pads and rotors

xrav22 12-31-2017 04:42 PM

My last purchase
BWD/NIEHOFF CH869 Premium Wire Set - Select Info
SELECT [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 13 Remaining) $9.83

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eb472bf62f.jpg
I received BWD Nascar performance plus wires could not be happier.
Point is it can be a crap shoot, but usually great.:cheers:

Joe C 01-02-2018 04:49 AM

RA is one of my main sources for parts. over the years, I've only had one incident where I got the wrong part. wasn't my fault, wasn't RA's fault, but somehow, the wrong part got packaged by AC Delco. anyway, contacted RA customer service, and they shipped the correct part immediately. I had it within a couple days. IMO, some of the best on-line prices out there. i give RA a :thumbs::thumbs:

with any on-line purchases, the buyer has to do his/her homework - double and triple check the part numbers from various sources before you hit the "enter" button!

91 corvette 01-02-2018 05:21 AM

Rotors for 12 to 18 bucks? Pads for 8 bucks or so? That's what I :eek:

Joe C 01-02-2018 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by 91 corvette (Post 1596294590)
Rotors for 12 to 18 bucks? Pads for 8 bucks or so? That's what I :eek:

you have to remember, you get what you pay for. with RA, they will have multiple listings for, in this case, pads and rotors - from economy to premium. if you pay $8 or $12, you're going to get $8 and $12. you can't fault RA - they are just offering inexpensive parts as an option. want high end, top quality stuff - figure on spending high end, top quality money! in this case, upper end, pads and rotors - $70 and $80. :rock:

91 corvette 01-02-2018 06:04 AM

ACDelco rotors are 23 bucks each. ACDelco should be good brand.

Joe C 01-02-2018 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by 91 corvette (Post 1596294621)
ACDelco rotors are 23 bucks each. ACDelco should be good brand.

again, the $23 delco's are an economy rotor, whereas a better quality delco is twice that. if you're on a budget, the $23 delco is a good choice. most likely the difference is, one is coated or plated, and the other not. for the same money, checkout wagner, powerstop, or raybestos. :thumbs: