CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   C4 spark testing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4087677-c4-spark-testing.html)

Brent Higginbotham 01-09-2018 12:21 AM

C4 spark testing

This may sound dumb but I bought a 1990 C4 that didn't start. Ok they told me it has water damage and was totaled. When I looked into it the water damage was minimal but the engine had thrown a rod. How do you throw a rod parked at the Beach?? Anyway after a rebuilt engine I've gone through most of the electronics, new ECU, relay's, distributor cap roter wire's +. The engine will crank over, fuel pressure up, but won't start? I've tested voltage to the ECU the Fan's come on the vats light goes off when cranking but have no spark, checked all fuses (twice) in line fuses (twice) power to the distributor cap.
I don't know what else to check, is there something I've missed??

unclet1 01-09-2018 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Brent Higginbotham (Post 1596340484)
This may sound dumb but I bought a 1990 C4 that didn't start. Ok they told me it has water damage and was totaled. When I looked into it the water damage was minimal but the engine had thrown a rod. How do you throw a rod parked at the Beach?? Anyway after a rebuilt engine I've gone through most of the electronics, new ECU, relay's, distributor cap roter wire's +. The engine will crank over, fuel pressure up, but won't start? I've tested voltage to the ECU the Fan's come on the vats light goes off when cranking but have no spark, checked all fuses (twice) in line fuses (twice) power to the distributor cap.

I have a friend of mine who was a insurance adjuster. He said a lot of the vehicles he totaled had blown motors. Said a lot of times they would kill the motors and THEN they would suddenly catch fire or end up under water. Go figure.

81c3 01-09-2018 08:10 AM

You didnt mention the ICM in the distributor. Is it good? Did you have it tested? How deep did the water get?

Joe C 01-09-2018 08:43 AM

time to dig out the FSM. start with the basics. question - how are you checking for spark?. :rock:

Mishawaka 01-10-2018 02:55 AM

You sure all your grounds got reattached?

bjankuski 01-10-2018 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brent Higginbotham (Post 1596340484)

Pull the code and see what the computer is telling you. Since the fans come on when you turn the key that means there is a trouble code. Hopefully that can point you in the correct direction.

Brent Higginbotham 01-13-2018 06:32 PM

C4

Originally Posted by bjankuski (Post 1596347767)
Pull the code and see what the computer is telling you. Since the fans come on when you turn the key that means there is a trouble code. Hopefully that can point you in the correct direction.

Ok I pulled up the codes and it says the ECM is bad so I ordered a new one and I'll see what that does 🤔.

BrandanC4 01-17-2018 11:38 PM

Does it start if you give it a sniff of gasoline in the air intake? If it turns over. Your problem is fuel delivery. Don’t assume spark. Try and eliminate the cheap stuff. Spark is super tricky. What code did you say you got?