CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   2017 LT1 oil catch can system (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4088130-2017-lt1-oil-catch-can-system.html)

J2 2017 GS 01-10-2018 09:02 AM

2017 LT1 oil catch can system

Is a oil catch can system beneficial for a 2017 LT1 Grand Sport?

robert miller 01-10-2018 11:50 AM

ttt

If you are 100% stock leave it 100% stock if you go with a blower set up on the car then yes I would do it to me the MMS set up a vendor in here has the best set up for the money. Plus it does work... Robert

J2 2017 GS 01-12-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by robert miller (Post 1596349463)
If you are 100% stock leave it 100% stock if you go with a blower set up on the car then yes I would do it to me the MMS set up a vendor in here has the best set up for the money. Plus it does work... Robert

Thanks for the info. My Grand Sport is 100% stock and after your input I plan to keep it that way. Thanks again.

JerryU 01-12-2018 05:11 PM

^^^
Never owned a car I kept stock and at 75 have no plans to do so! :yesnod:

On my 2014 Z51 I had an Elite "can" using a single outlet and captured about 1 ounce of oil per 1000 miles (as do many folks-some more.) That is one ounce/1000 miles did not go into the intake to bake on the hot intake valve backs!

Checked out all the new lines in my Grand Sport and it is a different arrangement with more lines going into the valve covers etc. BUT it still has a PCV line going from the crackcase to intake manifold in about the same place as the 2014! Waited until I was sure it would do no harm and measured pressure/vacuum on a key line. Once sure it would do no harm, installed the "can" I removed from my 2014 Z51 when I sold it onto the Grand Sport. The inlet and outlet are in the same position, no need to change lengths.

I am still capturing oil. Don't have enough data to quantify how much. It is less than the 2014 but there is oil being captured. IMO, better being collected and dumped that passing over my intake valves!

When the C8 comes out, my guess is, like the Corvette ZR1, the Ford GT and some Toyota engines, it will have both DI and Port Injection. The higher hp cars are probably using it at higher power but not Toyota. In any case, when activated it will wash the PCV "stuff" off of the intake valves as it always did with port injection and carburetors!

Guess another option would go back to the "road draft tube" I had on my '56 small block and older cars and dump the crackcase blowby, burned oil from the spinning crack that hits the hot piston bottoms etc on dump it the ground (before in the 1960's when the EPA said stop and ingest that stuff!) Don't think so! :lol:

Poppacapp 01-12-2018 09:19 PM

Catch cans are beneficial IMO. Any oil you keep out of the intake is good.

robert miller 01-12-2018 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Poppacapp (Post 1596366830)

:iagree: If you have a car that has mods done to it. Crap man I have are on my 3 catch can until I got one that really works like it should work.

Plus my car is no where stock at all blower, LT headers, mid pipe, ported T.B. & intake. RPM wavetrac 3:42 gear set up plus did a z51 to z06 body panel swap out on her. Plus more on the car...:D

Just saying here this guy has a new 2017 don't plain on no more mods to the car. If something did happen to his car would hate to see the dealer ship turn down the work on it & say he had mods done to it & war work is turn down.:toetap::toetap: Maybe that was nothing to do with his car problem but still could do it.. Robert

JerryU 01-13-2018 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by J2 2017 GS (Post 1596348180)
Is a oil catch can system beneficial for a 2017 LT1 Grand Sport?

Just emptied my catch can. Don't have it installed long enough to have as accurate a quantification of the amount collected compared to having it installed on my 2014 Z51 for 3 years, which was 1 ounce/1000 miles collected and dumped!

However this is twice I have measured and it was 1/4 ounce/1000 miles in my 2017 Grand Sport both times. So it is about 25% as much as on the 2014 Z51 but still some. The PCV system has been improved but that is still 1/4 oz/1000 miles not going into the intake manifold that can bake on the hot intake valves.

Is it worth the $150 investment-in my case I already had the "can" but I think so. If your OCD about finger prints etc, just think about that crap on your intake valves. Tadge says "it's only cosmetic" and only folks who look inside the engine would know! But so are finger prints on the door opening recess! Frankly I could care less about some fingerprints but don't like the idea of "stuff" built-up on the valve backs! That doesn't go away when I wash the car!

Unlike the Port Injection in my C6 and prior Vettes or the 850 Holley carburetor on the 8.2 Liter BB in my street rod that wash the PCV "stuff" away - with only air and PCV crap passing over the backs of the the intake valves with DI - to me worth the cost!

Your car, your choice!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e039a8bb32.jpg
Perhaps because a few years ago I assembled the ZZ502 crate engine in my street rod I think more about crap on the back of the valves than most!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e0c53bc647.jpg
Can't see the valve backs of the ZZ502 from this pic but if you were to look into those large intake ports, they and the passages are as shinny as the front in the top pic. Also assembled the Olds engine I put in my first car as a teenager and saw engines disassembled at Richard Petty's race shop when they were still building their own engines and we were a sponsor!

c5racr1 01-13-2018 10:45 AM

Can’t hurt

okaythen 09-05-2018 02:44 AM

How about LT4? Got a 2017 Z06, I don't track it but do redline it often, once awhile drag strip as well. Totally Stock and plan to keep it stock. Did 2 oil changes at dealer so far and they didn't mention anything abnormal. (But they probably don't check if oil got accumulated in the "GM catch can" or under the S/c cover?)

I do find the oil level gets lower by about half quart every 3 to 4k miles. (currently got 5500 miles)

Read the thread " Found Factory Oil Catch Can" , will see if there are any oil there or under S/C cover. But not very good at taking off stuff so going to find videos on those.

Also got another car that's DI, sounds like it's best to install an oil catch can for DI vehicles? Or floor it once awhile.

JerryU 09-05-2018 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by okaythen (Post 1597925215)
How about LT4? Got a 2017 Z06, I don't track it but do redline it often, once awhile drag strip as well. Totally Stock and plan to keep it stock. Did 2 oil changes at dealer so far and they didn't mention anything abnormal. (But they probably don't check if oil got accumulated in the "GM catch can" or under the S/c cover?) Right there is nothing that accumulates!!!

Read the thread " Found Factory Oil Catch Can" , will see if there are any oil there or under S/C cover. But not very good at taking off stuff so going to find videos on those. Good nothing to find!!

Also got another car that's DI, sounds like it's best to install an oil catch can for DI vehicles? Or floor it once awhile

You're reviving and old Thread and misreading the comment about GM adding a "Catch Can" and thinking it must be emptied!!!

Not sure who said they "added a catch can" and all I recall is the Camaro has a different device on the LT1 than a Vette. BUT it is not a catch can that collects PVC "stuff" and needs to be emptied.

All I found is GM improved the system to my 2017 GS that is not on my 2014 Z51. I'm collecting half the "PVC stuff" in my catch can that would ultimately go into the intake manifold, past the hot intake vales and add to "coking." That "stuff" looks, feels, and smells like oil--an like the often quoted "duck" I think it is mostly!) Suspect GM added more baffles etc prior to the PCV passage that leads to the PCV hose that goes to the intake manifold. That keeps some of the small oil particles, etc from getting out of the crackcase and keeps them in the oil. They may condense some of the oil vapor, which is what the catch can does.

The external catch can is inserted in the PCV hose line. In my case with a one inlet and outlet "can" that is the only place it is inserted.

Flooring it once an a while does nothing for a DI engine, no rich air/fuel mixture passing at high velocity over the intake valves-only air and PCV "stuff." I do it because it's fun! Suggest you read much more about catch cans or don't bother! Reading your post, not adding one and having to deal with the maintenance it requires is probably best!

okaythen 09-05-2018 09:24 AM

The thread I am talking about is https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...catch-can.html

It's not a catch can but he calls it "Factory catch can" cause oil gets accumulated there. So I checked my stock intake tube like that thread and didn't see any oil, haven't check under the S/C cover yet.

It's another old thread, at a car meet I overheard this guy talking about oil catch can, so came on here and searched for threads with "oil catch can" and lots of old threads popped up. Anyways from this thread it sounds like no need if car is totally stock, but wanted to be sure it's the same for LT4. And from reading old threads maybe some thread doesn't apply no more, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the help

JerryU 09-05-2018 09:48 AM

^^^
Interesting start to that link! I installed an aFe and had NO oil in the intake tube. And I did not change my oil at 500 miles per the new recommendation BECAUSE that bulletin did not come out foe 13 months after I got my Z51 in October 2013! Changing oil at 500 miles is supposed to prevent one reason for oil in the intake tube (there is NO other GM reason and it's only required in a dry sump!)

That GM Bulletin defines A POSSIBLE reason for oil in the air intake AND if enough it will flow down to the air filter and drip on the ground! GM indicates that MAY happened since the silicone (from curing engine seals) MAY deplete the antifoam agents in that first oil fill (all oil contains antifoam agents.) That oil foam MAY "burp" with the air that goes into the dry sump tank through a hose into the air intake tube. They say that MAY occur IF the engine is operated at SUSTAINED HIGH SPEED. The last sentence also says the oil foam WILL DO NO HARM TO THE ENGINE. NOTE: I put the words in bold because lots of MAY's in the GM statement. Didn't happen to my Z51!

Been following this issue since the Bulletin came out and there are many posts where oil was found in the air intake tube! BUT they were all caused by a dealer overfilling a dry sump! :lol: IMO the risk in having he oil changed is far more than folks who operate their engine at sustained high speed! In fact IF they Track their car they had to change the oil to 15-50! IMO GM just did not want to say "we have many incompetent dealer techs" probably in more PC words! :lol:

If you took off your air intake tube sounds like you are capable of maintaining a catch can! If you should add one with the newer PCV system is your choice. Here is my PDF of install with lots of info you can digest in that decision: http://netwelding.com/Catch_Can.pdf

Note the fact that I have only a one exit "can" and drilled no holes in the air intake tube. Could argue that with a supercharger a two outlet can could be used BUT 1) the percentage time you are "on boost" sounds low and you will have to install a check valve properly. Mine is easily reversed to stock (10 minutes) as I did when I removed it from my Z51 when I sold it and installed on my Grand sport. Again your choice BUT if you decide to add one suggest buying the less expensive single outlet can-) no drilling holes 2) can't mess up the install no need for a check valve properly installed, and 3) easily reversed to stock.

LivinTheDream 09-05-2018 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Poppacapp (Post 1596366830)

:iagree:

I had the intake off my C5 twice. First time, @ 50K miles, there was plenty of gunk to clean out, and while the intake valves weren't too bad, they benefited from cleaning. After that, I fabricated my own catch can. 90K miles later, the intake and valves were quite clean, so the can did its job.

My 2017 is stock (for now), and I put in an Elite can immediately. Paid the $$ for an Elite b/c it's aesthetically pleasing, and the oil that pours out confirms the benefit. DI engines no longer have fuel 'cleaning' the valves, so it seems more important to minimize any oiling of the intake.

I've read the threads about dealers fussing over catch cans, and there are horror stories about people breaking the plastic intake. I bought a second GM PVC to intake hose, and put the quick connects on the catch can hoses. Takes less than 5 minutes to put it back to stock.

JerryU 09-05-2018 11:39 AM

^^^
As you note the C5, C6 and prior Vettes had gasoline passing over the hot intake vales so if using Top Tier gas it kept the intake pretty clean. NO more, no gas passing over the hot intake valves, only air and PCV "stuff!" However GM says it's only cosmetic. For some of us who built a bored out Olds engine for my '41 Coupe ~60 years ago and more recently assembled a Chevy 502/502 from 30 boxes for my ProStreet Rod those clean valve backs are etched in my mind! Cosmetic to some is not to others! Fact is I could care less about fingerprints on my Vette-they wash off when I wash the car. NOT backed on oil and "stuff" on the intake valve backs!

Yep I had an Elite can on my 2014 Z51 for 3 1/2 years took it off and installed on my 2017 GS. It's easy IF you don't use the 2nd can exit and drill a hole in the air intake tube. Fact is unless your at WOT a high percent of the time IMO that 2nd can exit is not needed,

Your car your choice including with the "improved" PCV system on the newer dry sumps using one at all. There could be issues with warranty depending on how the can is installed, a dealer or your inability to defend that it has done no harm. I'm not concerned BUT some may be and would be best living with the "cosmetic" issues!

cv67 09-07-2018 12:19 AM

A little wont hurt anything but when major buildup Im talking huge is there you better believe that affects efficiency.

Motors5 09-07-2018 07:55 AM

From 2017 (as on my Z51 with the same engine) the piping of the crank ventilation is different. It now goes to the dry sump tank (acting like a catch can). This will give much less problems with oil in the intake as on 2016 and previous models. See picture with tube going above throttle body to the dry sump tank.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3164624653.jpg

JerryU 09-07-2018 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Motors5 (Post 1597938622)
From 2017 (as on my Z51 with the same engine) the piping of the crank ventilation is different. It now goes to the dry sump tank (acting like a catch can). This will give much less problems with oil in the intake as on 2016 and previous models. See picture with tube going above throttle body to the dry sump tank.

:iagree: Mostly! The newer dry sumps have a different system and hoses but many lines are different. The PCV hose that was on my 2014 Z51 is still there and goes from a PCV valve from crankcase to intake manifold. In fact it is about the same size and in the same location. I added the single outlet "catch can" I took from my 2014 Z51 and installed on my 2017 Grand Sport. I now collect about half the amount of "stuff" (that smells, looks and feels mostly like oil.)

It would appear GM added baffles in the system so some of the oil particles etc are retained in the crackcase and as you note some might go back into the oil in the dry sump tank. But would NOT call in a "catch can" as there is nothing to empty! But what is in a word! :lol:

GM sure spent a lot of time and engineering effort to cut the "none existent coking problem" in half! :yesnod:

PS: The one issue that is not clear is where there was a lline bringing clean filtered air from the air intake tube into the crackcase in my 2014 Z51, it no longer exists. A poster said the line going from the dry sump tank to the air intake tube supplies filtered crackcase replacement air. I put a vaccum/pressure gauge on the line that I label "FA" in the pic below and at idle it is in fact pulling air from the air intake tube! However than how and where does the air that comes from the oil/air scavenge pump and goes with the oil into the dry sump tank during operation "burp out?" Does that "FA" line serve both functions depending on rpm and engine vacuum? No way to define, but it was not just a simple change!
The system pressures are complex. Can't have that vaccum in the crackcase created by the scavenge oil/air pump AND the PCV system and not supply clean filtered air to replace it! I even installed that line in my 502 cid engine with it's 850 Holley in my ProStreet Rod. It supplies filtered air from downstream of the air filter to replace the air (and "stuff") being pulled from crackcase with PCV system into the intake when there is a vaccum.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5f2b2f17ec.jpg