CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Tire Failure (Not Vette) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4088219-tire-failure-not-vette.html)

DansYellow66 01-10-2018 12:36 PM

Tire Failure (Not Vette)

1 Attachment(s)
Wife had a blowout on her Highlander yesterday with a 3 year old Continental Contact tire while out of town yesterday. Fortunately no damage to her, car or wheel. Road service guy said it looked rotten but not sure what he means by that and I haven't seen the tire in person yet. He also commented that he has changed a lot of Continental tires lately.

Been fortunate to have had very few catastrophic tire failures in my 66 years. And I don't know that I've seen one fail like this before - completely across the contact surface. Time to try another manufacturer.

MikeM 01-10-2018 01:00 PM

So much for the six year rule, eh?:D

You know, "for the children", "for peace of mind".

DansYellow66 01-10-2018 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=MikeM;1596349980]So much for the six year rule, eh?:D
QUOTE]

Definitely. If she thinks she can limp back here on the spare (full size Toyo) and lower speed secondary roads I'm going to get all of them replaced with something else.

SupremeDeluxe 01-10-2018 01:10 PM

I've had a similar appearing failure on the OEM Michelins on my STS, TWICE. Incidentally, I replaced them with Conti's and never had a problem again.

dkleather 01-10-2018 01:11 PM

Nasty looking failure. I’m glad your wife is okay! Could have been much worse, I’m sure. :thumbs:Dave

eagle7175 01-10-2018 01:17 PM

have had 3 blowouts over the years, all were firestones on the company vehicle. at interstate speeds they can be a bit scary.

Randy G. 01-10-2018 01:34 PM

Get the tire and read the embossed date code required on all tires. It's the date of manufacture. It's a 4 digit code. The first two numbers are the week of the year, the second two numbers are the year. For example, "2216" would be the 22nd week of 2016.

The reason this is important is (you should always insist that you see the dates on tires put on your car or truck) that tires can sit in warehouses or store shelves for a few days or months or even years. The clock is ticking based on these dates, not the date they were installed.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...21d27ac45f.png

MikeM 01-10-2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Randy G. (Post 1596350226)
The clock is ticking based on these dates, not the date they were installed.

How long does the clock tick before the tires are considered rejects based on some manufacturing date dreamed up by someone sitting in the office?

Based on scientific evidence, I might add.

wmf62 01-10-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1596350501)
How long does the clock tick before the tires are considered rejects based on some manufacturing date dreamed up by someone sitting in the office?

Based on scientific evidence, I might add.

I have been told 6 years....

Bill

MikeM 01-10-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1596350519)
I have been told 6 years....

Bill

See post #1.

Where is the scientific evidence?????????????

Have you ever heard of chuckhole damage on low profile tires.

GUSTO14 01-10-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Randy G. (Post 1596350226)
Get the tire and read the embossed date code required on all tires. It's the date of manufacture. It's a 4 digit code. The first two numbers are the week of the year, the second two numbers are the year. For example, "2216" would be the 22nd week of 2016.

The reason this is important is (you should always insist that you see the dates on tires put on your car or truck) that tires can sit in warehouses or store shelves for a few days or months or even years. The clock is ticking based on these dates, not the date they were installed.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6b6f307903.png

Great picture Randy, thanks for posting it.

Small retailers are more likely to have older tires in stock than the major chains, especially in less common sizes. Just because they tend to move less volume. That's why it's always important for us as customers to pay close attention to the dates on any new tires we buy.

Good luck... GUSTO

MikeM 01-10-2018 02:55 PM

Hysterical mob rule prevails it seems.:D

The date! The date! Get the date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

cbernhardt 01-10-2018 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DansYellow66 (Post 1596349808)
Wife had a blowout on her Highlander yesterday with a 3 year old Continental Contact tire ......

Oh, that's not a blowout;)
This is a BLOWOUT. Happened in my wife's '62, 70 mph on I65 north of Mobile AL. Amazingly no body damage.

leif.anderson93 01-10-2018 03:52 PM

Dan,
Good to hear the bride and car survived unscathed. That picture looks like she may have inadvertently hit something in the road. Looks like it has been slashed across the entire face of the tread. Lots of junk on the roads today. Just a thought before we all start crucifying the tire company.:thumbs:

DansYellow66 01-10-2018 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cbernhardt (Post 1596350891)
Oh, that's not a blowout;)
This is a BLOWOUT. Happened in my wife's '62, 70 mph on I65 north of Mobile AL. Amazingly no body damage.

OK - that beats ours.

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93 (Post 1596351067)
Dan,
Good to hear the bride and car survived unscathed. That picture looks like she may have inadvertently hit something in the road. Looks like it has been slashed across the entire face of the tread. Lots of junk on the roads today. Just a thought before we all start crucifying the tire company.:thumbs:

She said it blew out on the interstate within sight of her exit and she didn't seem to think she ran over anything. But that is a really hard to understand failure pattern for me. She may have and didn't realize it. A split right across the thread belts is just hard to fathom. The tires looked good (I hand wash our cars), rode well, held air fine and had good thread left although we noticed in the last few months that traction was down due to the rubber getting hard we assume.

Brian VH McHale 01-10-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1596349980)
So much for the six year rule, eh?:D

You know, "for the children", "for peace of mind".

Don't jump to conclusions :) Wait for the date.

MikeM 01-10-2018 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brian VH McHale (Post 1596351583)
Don't jump to conclusions :) Wait for the date.

The date. The date. Get the date!!!!!!!!!!!!! That tiype of tire failure doesn't look like anything to do with a DATE!
It looks more to do with impact damage. You would be the one jumping to conclusions if you think date has anything to do with this failure.

Especially since the OP said the car rode smooth and the tires were round as ID'd by hand washing.

Now, if those steel belts were rusty and rotten at the break point, different story and that could have been cause by porous rubber, not time.

:lurk::D

Brian VH McHale 01-10-2018 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1596351609)
The date. The date. Get the date!!!!!!!!!!!!! That tiype of tire failure doesn't look like anything to do with a DATE!
It looks more to do with impact damage.

Especially since the OP said the car rode smooth and the tires were round as ID'd by hand washing.

Now, if those steel belts were rusty and rotten at the break point, different story and that could have been cause by porous rubber, not time.

:lurk::D

I agree on what that tire looks like, I still want the date. :crazy:

MikeM 01-10-2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brian VH McHale (Post 1596351632)
I agree on what that tire looks like, I still want the date. :crazy:

If you get the date, what are you going to do with that little tidbit of information?:D

The Firestone stuff that made headlines weren't old tires so what's up Sam Snead?

Brian VH McHale 01-10-2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1596351642)
If you get the date, what are you going to do with that little tidbit of information?:D

The Firestone stuff that made headlines weren't old tires so what's up Sam Snead?

Just part of the equation. :yesnod: