CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C1] How much value does a hardtop add to a C1 ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4088228-how-much-value-does-a-hardtop-add-to-a-c1.html)

ryan22 01-10-2018 01:17 PM

How much value does a hardtop add to a C1 ?

I'm considering buying a hardtop for our 62 which is for sale - found one not too far away, correct year & color but it obviously won't match exactly.

What's the consensus, good idea or not ? I'd never use one if I had it but there have been some potential buyers who made a big deal out of it not having a hardtop...I figured it was mainly a bargaining ploy.

Here's a link to pics of our 62, it's also advertised here in the forum but I haven't sent it to the top of the list since last fall.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-car.../posting/85046

Thanks
:cheers:

68hemi 01-10-2018 01:21 PM

You need to search the archives for this as it was discuss at length here in the last few months.

vetintheblood 01-10-2018 01:50 PM

I would estimate it to add about $5,000 to the value

:hide:

wmf62 01-10-2018 02:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vetintheblood (Post 1596350318)
I would estimate it to add about $5,000 to the value

:hide:

BUT, only if the new owner uses it...

they are a PIA to install and remove and are a veritable green house (temperature wise) if you don't have a/c. BUT, they are quieter than and eliminate the blind spots inherent in the convertible top and have more head room.

I have one, and have a/c, and NEVER take it off... AND, they look better :thumbs:

I wouldn't expect it to be worth more than what it would cost to replace it.

Bill

Plasticman 01-10-2018 02:10 PM

I would estimate zero to me (or less)....I would never use it, and have to find a place to store the damn thing.

If adding A/C, a hard top definitely would help.

But a convertible looks far better with the top down...........

Plasticman

roberts427 01-10-2018 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=ryan22;1596350105]I'm considering buying a hardtop for our 62 which is for sale - found one not too far away, correct year & color but it obviously won't match exactly.

What's the consensus, good idea or not ? I'd never use one if I had it but there have been some potential buyers who made a big deal out of it not having a hardtop...I figured it was mainly a bargaining ploy.

Here's a link to pics of our 62, it's also advertised here in the forum but I haven't sent it to the top of the list since last fall.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-car.../posting/85046

Thanks
:cheers:[/QUO

There is a reason they sell for 3 to 6k 6 being restored. ??

Silverrick 01-10-2018 02:54 PM

Hardtop

3 Attachment(s)
A number of years ago, I'm selling my 62 Fawn Beige Metallic vette. It's nothing special. Standard 327/300 with a 4 speed. Couple of pictures attached. It was a soft top delete car so no mounting hardware it place. But, I did have the hardtop. The buyer could have cared less about the hardtop. He wanted the soft top. So, I sell him the car, as is. Before he has the car shipped, he goes out and orders thousands of dollars in soft top items . I did ship the hardtop with the car cuz I had no use for it. In hindsight, of course, I should have kept it and sold it!

Live and learn.

fyreline 01-10-2018 03:15 PM

My 1962 has both tops - I drove it for a couple of years without the hardtop, but once I put it on, I have never taken it off. The car is better-looking and more comfortable and enjoyable to drive. To answer the value question, I would estimate that the hardtop adds between $3000 and $5000 to the car. I base that on what folks have actually offered me for my car, both before and after I mounted the hardtop.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d82ebb56dc.png

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7283aa6b2d.png

MikeM 01-10-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ryan22 (Post 1596350105)
I'm considering buying a hardtop for our 62 which is for sale -

What's the consensus, good idea or not ?

Thanks
:cheers:

I am wondering why you are even considering buying an accessory that some buyer may not want. Give the buyer the choice in case he likes the hardtop and let him spend his money. Not yours.

Silverrick 01-10-2018 03:31 PM

I agree with both prior remarks. let the buyer purchase a hardtop if he wants one and they are worth between 3k to 5k in value on a resale.

Silverrick 01-10-2018 03:33 PM

Love that fawn Beige Metallic with a matching interior. Wasn't that the color combination on the old Route 66 series?

Todd H. 01-10-2018 03:38 PM

Is the hardtop available at bargain price? If it's not I wouldn't do it. It sounds like you'll have to paint it, since you say the color is right but won't match. Pretty risky that you'll recover that money, since a sale is evidently your goal. Your prospects were probably bargaining, as you said.

Your car sounds very original and unchanged. Did it originally have a hardtop? If not, that's another reason to not do it. Drilling those holes in the deck lid is an uncomfortable experience, and lots of buyers will value your car higher the more you leave it alone.

The guy looking for a powerglide is a slightly uncommon buyer, but they're there, and there are always new people entering the market. When a glide is what you want they can be hard to find. Take a good look at your marketing and make sure that's as effective as it can be.

Brian VH McHale 01-10-2018 05:15 PM

Every car sells when priced right hardtop or not. :cheers:

Silverrick 01-10-2018 05:19 PM

In not sure that every car sells, even when priced right. I've had to give away a couple in my lifetime. (haha)!

jsmcol 01-10-2018 05:27 PM

I would not spend the money on a hard top for it. Most people won't use it, it's a pain to put on and off and takes a lot of space to store. Like it was said previously, if someone wants one, they can be found, let them spend the money. Someone not buying your car because it didn't have a hard top with it is just trying to get it cheaper, or making an excuse. Your car looks really nice, good luck.

MOXIE62 01-10-2018 08:31 PM

Your car should sell for what you are asking or a little less. It looks and sounds like a nice one. The hard top would add 3 to 5K, and look very sharp, but they are a PITA to fit correctly.

Silverrick 01-10-2018 10:21 PM

IMO: If you absolutely, positively, assuredly MUST have a hardtop, why not buy a Coupe to begins with?!

Maybe less money, except 63 SWC!

Kerrmudgeon 01-10-2018 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Silverrick (Post 1596353384)
IMO: If you absolutely, positively, assuredly MUST have a hardtop, why not buy a Coupe to begins with?!

Maybe less money, except 63 SWC!

Probably because we all wanted a C1. :toetap:

FB forever! :lolg:

Silverrick 01-10-2018 10:30 PM

Great, heads-up reply. I am ashamed to not have thought of that possibility!

ptjsk 01-10-2018 10:46 PM

Had our hardtop in the attic for over 20 years.

Wife wanted it down and put on the car, because she liked the look.

I restored the top and put it on the car. Loved the look, as well as the drive. No more sitting in the sun!

Unfortunately, I had to restore a second one. But I did, and it's on the car and probably won't come off again.

But, like others have said, if you're not going to use it, than why buy it?

I sure wouldn't buy it to use as a bargaining token sometime down the road. I just don't think potential buyers worry too much if there's a hardtop with the car, or not.

Pat